Villa H Sat 10 Aug 17:30 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have to just see what happens I guess, the 433 could be a signal of the old guard changing.

I mean I haven't even factored Eriksen in to the formation plans as I feel like he may be gone, and even if he isn't gone by September (which I think he will be) Poch will want to phase him out and concentrate on the players we do have.

As far as Dele goes, I think this may finally be the year Poch drops him for a run of games. Don't get me wrong, Dele is my absolute favourite player at spurs, but I feel he needs some fire in his belly.

He needs to feel the pain of not being first choice and want to fight for his place.

I think we might learn a lot about Dele this season. How does he deal with being dropped when fit mentally.
Think he's a fantastic player and one of my favourites too - but always felt like he won't be too loyal to us, the Gerrard loving Chelsea fan.

Saying that, it seems like he is maturing as you would expect for someone that age - but wouldn't shock me if he can't get in the team by Christmas and starts getting ideas when United come offering £100 million +

While we're on the subject of Villa, let's remember the only Villa that really matters at all, if you've got a minute.

Worrying. Could this be anything to do with Poch going a bit 'Christian Gross' in training?
I'm sure the sport scientists and everything like that know more than me, it just seems to be becoming a more frequent trend to have players picking up recurring injuries - some to the point they either no longer play for us or can't be counted on to play 30+ games over a season.

Worrying, yes, but looking at them I cannot see an obvious trend.

Sessegnon - Injured on E u21 duty
Wanyama - Came back from AFCON and immediately reported an injury
Davies - picked up minor injury last season, minor op over summer back shortly
Dier - Pre season medical picked up problem, minor op, should be back shortly
Dele - injured in pre season [Maybe played too much and sports scientists should have advised Poch to reduce his playing time ??]
Foyth - injured in pre-season
Son - 2 match ban

I do hope that the slightly larger squad will allow Poch to rotate a little more, as with 50+ games a season (plus internationals) there is a real danger of him over playng players, especially with intense training and our press

This is the match that made me a Spurs supporter.

As an American, I had never followed football in my youth. After the 2006 World Cup, I decided I needed to adopt an EPL team. I picked Spurs more or less on the logic that I needed to support a London team so I could go to a match if I visited England, Fulham and West Ham were too much of a relegation risk (very hard to follow the Championship from the States), and anybody who decided to get into football and picked Woolwich or Chelsea in 2006 was a frontrunning asshole.

As you might imagine, that rigorous process of elimination didn’t lead to me being much of a fan...I wasn’t watching the games or really following Spurs at all. Then in October 2007, I visited London for the first time. My friends and I went to one of the local Tottenham pubs very early before it was crowded and met some nice young local lads who were superfans and adopted us right away, teaching us chants and whatnot.

Then we go to the match and of course down 1-4, everybody is bummed. But then with each subsequent goal the energy grew and grew. And when Kaboul put in the stoppage time equalizer, the place just blew up. People were acting like they’d won the lottery. Thousands of those 125th anniversary flags flying everywhere.

I knew right then and there I was hooked for life.

Excellent! A true Spurs match to get you initiated!!

That was a long break-I needed it after the CL final and another transfer window tbh. I actually cannot listen to the media or internet football genii and itk cunts blabbering about getting the finger out and levys a tight cunt etc etc but what matters is
Proper football is back and I can't wait:p
3-0 win - Moura and Kane to score and Ndombele to make a solid debut would do lovely.
First home opener in recent memory-lets make it count:)

------------------Lloris-----------------
---KWP-----Toby-----Jan---Rose---
--------N'Dombele--Winks----------
---Lamela-----Eriksen-----Lucas----
------------------Kane------------------

Subs: Gazzaniga, Sanchez, Aurier, Sissoko, Wanyama, Dier, Lo Celso.

Think something like that will be it.

Tomorrow we will know if erisken is committed to a new contract or off I guess with poch selection, personally i hope he signs again and we see the erisken we all know and love and with ndombele in midfield should help him out a bit , just let someone else take the corners please!

TEAM NEWS:
🛑 Dele Alli - Hamstring
🛑Ben Davies - Groin
🛑Juan Foyth - Ankle
🛑Heung-Min Son - Suspended
🛑Serge Aurier - Hand
🛑Ryan Sessengon - Hamstring
✅Victor Wanyama and Eric Dier have returned full training
New signings Tanguy Ndombele and Giovani Lo Celso are available. #COYS

Last edited:
Could also have Harvey White on bench to cover LB ( as he did well at in preseason) and CM/DM ( his usual position). So if Sissoko was required mid march to switch to RB we have a CM to come on in his place - as well as Skipp.

Problem with Aurier is that if he had not had preseason due to AFCON think he will be limited to 30 mins playing time, so an early injury for us becomes a problem as sending Aurier risks a 2nd injury
White looked uncomfortable at left back. I don't think that's where he'll play if he makes it in the top flight

Tomorrow we will know if erisken is committed to a new contract or off I guess with poch selection, personally i hope he signs again and we see the erisken we all know and love and with ndombele in midfield should help him out a bit , just let someone else take the corners please!
Eriksen is probably neither signing a new contract nor off. He’s likely to just run his contract down. So don’t get too excited when you see him in the starting lineup.

Back
Top Bottom