Villa H Sat 10 Aug 17:30 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good point.

We could even potentially see Georgiou on the bench. Quite incredible he's still here really, but Pochettino obviously likes him as he's given him a few squad appearances, gave him his Champions League debut and likes to keep him round the first team. He's 23 years old this season!

Georgiou was not named in squad at PL ( see seperate thread) and so as an over 21 cannot play in this match.

That's why I suggested White - other option in u23 is Hinds but he's not been involved in preseason.

Georgiou was not named in squad at PL ( see seperate thread) and so as an over 21 cannot play in this match.

That's why I suggested White - other option in u23 is Hinds but he's not been involved in preseason.

Interesting.

Haven't seen. I assume we have a foreign club wanting to buy him permanently or on loan then. Surprised we couldn't get him a lower league loan at least.

Agreed. a freshly promoted side, who weren't even the best side in the championship. We need to come out the blocks and absolutely fly at them. An early goal in the first 20 mins or so and we convincingly sweep them aside.

As a side note, I'm getting cunted tomorrow, been on best behaviour all summer as the missus has a bun in the over, but tomorrow, I'm going to be a dribbling mess. COYS!!!
Congratulations. Middle name has to be the name of the first Spurs player to score after it's born.

Interesting.

Haven't seen. I assume we have a foreign club wanting to buy him permanently or on loan then. Surprised we couldn't get him a lower league loan at least.

Was on loan last season in Spain. Window for Loans to Europe same as permanent ( is around end August,,) and same for loans to L1 (championship closed last night), so I'd guess back to Spain ?

Interesting.

Other option could be Tanganga as FB cover but not seen him do that for Spurs youth for a year or two and he only covered CB in preseason so no idea how well he'd do in men's football - but coaches would !

If Eriksen starts it better bet a 4-2-3-1 with Lamela tucked in behind Kane. Don't have the personnel for a diamond.

I'm not expecting a rigid formation. Poch will often go through a few formations in a game, but expect him to set us up for a quick start looking for an early goal.

Lloris
Kwp
Toby
Jan
Rose

That feels pretty nailed on to me. Then the other 6 players you can move around and interpret positions depending on situations.

Sissoko or Ndombele
Winks
Eriksen
Lucas
Son
Kane

Seems the most likely starters for me. Could easily set them up in 433, 4231, 41212, 4213 or whatever you prefer to call it depending on having the ball, or not having the ball.

In my opinion, Lamela should be kept away from our starting 11. Once again he had a strong pre season but that really counts for nothing. In the Inter game he started having his trademark poor touches, and what bothers me so much is his inability to decide when it's the right time to release the ball doubled up with his pathetic one footedness for a Premier league player.
He certainly isn't a clinical finisher, and his strongest asset (running around kicking people) shouldn't be necessary against Villa.
As for tucking him in behind Kane - I really don't see that as a position Lamelas strengths play to. Eriksen on the other hand with his quick mind, good 2 feet, ability to hit the target - sounds much more plausible.

Against City I could see Lamela starting. Pep calls us the 'biggest most physical team' or something similar, which can cause them problems. We will be away without the ball most of the time. A bit of Sissoko and Lamela running studs down their playmakers ankles is probably the game plan Poch has up his sleeve.

Edit - of fuck Son is suspended isn't he.
God. It might be fucking Lamela tomorrow.

I'm not expecting a rigid formation. Poch will often go through a few formations in a game, but expect him to set us up for a quick start looking for an early goal.

Lloris
Kwp
Toby
Jan
Rose

That feels pretty nailed on to me. Then the other 6 players you can move around and interpret positions depending on situations.

Sissoko or Ndombele
Winks
Eriksen
Lucas
Son
Kane

Seems the most likely starters for me. Could easily set them up in 433, 4231, 41212, 4213 or whatever you prefer to call it depending on having the ball, or not having the ball.

In my opinion, Lamela should be kept away from our starting 11. Once again he had a strong pre season but that really counts for nothing. In the Inter game he started having his trademark poor touches, and what bothers me so much is his inability to decide when it's the right time to release the ball doubled up with his pathetic one footedness for a Premier league player.
He certainly isn't a clinical finisher, and his strongest asset (running around kicking people) shouldn't be necessary against Villa.
As for tucking him in behind Kane - I really don't see that as a position Lamelas strengths play to. Eriksen on the other hand with his quick mind, good 2 feet, ability to hit the target - sounds much more plausible.

Against City I could see Lamela starting. Pep calls us the 'biggest most physical team' or something similar, which can cause them problems. We will be away without the ball most of the time. A bit of Sissoko and Lamela running studs down their playmakers ankles is probably the game plan Poch has up his sleeve.

Edit - of fuck Son is suspended isn't he.
God. It might be fucking Lamela tomorrow.
Sorry to disappoint you mate but Son is suspended for this and City, Lamela will start both games.

Sorry to disappoint you mate but Son is suspended for this and City, Lamela will start both games.

Yeah realised that with my edit after initially posting.
Would rather see us play a back 5 or extra central mid over Lamela.
Basically Sanchez or Sissoko over him.

Yeah realised that with my edit after initially posting.
Would rather see us play a back 5 or extra central mid over Lamela.
Basically Sanchez or Sissoko over him.
Have to disagree there, we struggled consistently when we played a back 3 last year. The football considerably improved when we stopped trying it.

Would like us to start as we mean to go on, stick with a 4231/433 whatever Poch prefers.

One of my favourite Spurs memories vs. Villa.

October 2007. 125th year anniversary. Flags flying everywhere.

Told my Villa mate we’re going to smash him so big that I’ll only text him once the 4th goes in....

Fast forward an hour.....

We’re 1-4 down and the cheeky Villians are singing “Happy Birthday To You...”

Bastards. But funny. Even at 1-4 down.

Fast forward another half hour...

Injury time.... KABOOM!! 4-4!

Text my mate.... straight faced.... “have that, there’s the 4th”

:king:

Have to disagree there, we struggled consistently when we played a back 3 last year. The football considerably improved when we stopped trying it.

Would like us to start as we mean to go on, stick with a 4231/433 whatever Poch prefers.

Ah but the year before that we did quite well with a back 3, possibly because of having Dembele firing on all cylinders?
I'm hopeful Ndombele will offer us something along those lines now.

I do wonder about Davies and Sanchez too. Have a feeling we may be seeing them in a back 3 at times this season. Just looking at the squad we have it feels a bit central heavy and I hope that doesn't mean the wretched diamond will be in use again regularly.

433 is a formation I do like to see, though I feel Lucas, Kane, Son are the natural front 3, and don't see ideal roles for Eriksen or Dele with it - but that's me thinking the best of Dele comes playing off Kane, and Eriksen an advanced(right footed) playmaker filling gaps (drifting central) between midfield and attack. 4321/4312 perhaps leaving the wide play to our full backs against weaker opposition (like Villa) but when I think 433, I'm thinking along the lines of say Liverpools front 3 rather than a spearhead with Kane at the tip, and 2 space investigators behind him that will often be found in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom