Vlad Chiricheș

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Brilliant game. I said after the Sheriff away game he had impressed me and I hoped he would 'kick on'. Looks like he is doing. Having Verts next to you must be a massive help, but he's exceeded my expectations by a mile.

Vlad speaks both english and portugese though, so he can get a message across, where-as Lamela doesn't speak a single word of english(by now I hope it is; Didn't speak)
Given that the Spanish for to pass is pasar and to shoot is chutar, I don't think it's during the game that language is an issue*. Especially if you're not a defender, as mentioned.
Training, tactics, hanging out with the team - that's a different story.

* And I know from experience of playing alongside a striker who spoke only Portuguese that that's pretty much all you need.

He has this bold carefree never take prisoners style which although at times can be high risk its effective and entertaining to watch.

Given that the Spanish for to pass is pasar and to shoot is chutar, I don't think it's during the game that language is an issue*. Especially if you're not a defender, as mentioned.

* And I know from experience of playing alongside a striker who spoke only Portuguese that that's pretty much all you need.

...actually, 'to shoot' in Spanish is disparar, patear, or tirar - but if you were to watch (and understand) a TV broadcast in Latin America, they would say 'remate' for 'shot'...years of experience watching Spurs in Costa Rica...
COYS

...actually, 'to shoot' in Spanish is disparar, patear, or tirar - but if you were to watch (and understand) a TV broadcast in Latin America, they would say 'remate' for 'shot'...years of experience watching Spurs in Costa Rica...
COYS
Chutar is Spanish for "shoot" as a football-only term, derived from the English.
Disparar and tirar mean "shoot" in other senses, while patear is literally to kick (so it can mean shooting in some contexts).

Remate is shot because it's from rematar, to finish off, so it's similar to the English use of finishing as a football term.

Everton-Tottenham 0-0 (Chiriches in action during the game)
uwo6.jpg

So calm, and skillful aswell. Having him and Verts with Kaboul also around and Dawson playing the best football of his career makes me forget we used to have Anthony Gardener calling the shots

So calm, and skillful aswell. Having him and Verts with Kaboul also around and Dawson playing the best football of his career makes me forget we used to have Anthony Gardener calling the shots
it's good that AVB have 4 central defenders with a lot of potential (skills),Vlad(24 years soon,14th november) still have to improve,because he's younger than his team mates in central defence area ,Dawson (age 30 soon,18th november) ,Kaboul (age 27) and Vertonghen (age 26) experimented players,they help each other in the pitch and that's well observed in the results (at least, our defence concede very few goals until now!),he grown up well in fit and he perform well in the pitch in Tottenham shirt in just ...almost 2 months,he's a newcomer in the squad!
I observe until now,AVB given chances to all players to enter in the pitch ("rotation" mode),that's why the fans wondering themselves before the game start, "what players will be today in the first team?" because everyone could play in any moment...that's good

Last edited:
it's good that AVB have 4 central defenders with a lot of potential (skills),Vlad(24 years soon,14th november) still have to improve,because he's younger than his team mates in central defence area ,Dawson (age 30 soon,18th november) ,Kaboul (age 27) and Vertonghen (age 26) experimented players,they help each other in the pitch and that's well observed in the results (at least, our defence concede very few goals until now!),he grown up well in fit and he perform well in the pitch in Tottenham shirt in just ...almost 2 months,he's a newcomer in the squad!

I love the guy already.

In the last few games he has been the most consistent of our new signings. Vlad is exactly what AVB wanted and had in mind when he sold Caulker to Cardiff, sacrificing pace and power for a ball playing, well positioned, thinking defender.

I was thinking about his effortlessness in possession...he reminds me a bit of Ledley but also of Benoit. Able to do a lot without making it look like much. I just hope that his style doesn't backfire on us or on him at any stage, as Benoit's did on occasion.

Watching La Liga over here they use 'disparooooo' a lot. Haven't heard chutar but then I haven't been looking out for it.

#blatant etc etc

Watching La Liga over here they use 'disparooooo' a lot. Haven't heard chutar but then I haven't been looking out for it.

#blatant etc etc
Could depend on country./region - there's a lot of Spanishes out there.
(And now that I think about it, how often do English commentators actually say "shoot"? It's all "has a go from distance", "wallops", "chips", "deft finish", "takes it on the bounce" etc etc etc)

Back
Top Bottom