We’re part of the problem

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No player deserves to be booed, even Davison Sanchez. The fact is he has not played much this season and it causing him to be worse. The fact is our team has looked uncoached all season.

Agree but as many have already articulated, it's about the ease of a target.

I very much doubt it was pre-meditated as opposed to prevoous experience and an outpouring of frustration.

The feel at moment is toxic, so Davinson is an unfortunate vessel.

Nothing much more than that but not good nonetheless.

It's a fair point and on reflection I feel bad for Sanchez

But we as fans have had the piss taken out of us for years now simple as

Highest ticket prices in the world to watch shit like Sanchez and Dier at the back and to watch terrible football for the past what 5 years?

I get why it's getting toxic and Levy and Co will find it is only gonna get worse

Just wish the fans would turn on them not players who's only crime is not being good enough for the money we paid.

Well done peeps, you should be proud of yourselves
the joker applause GIF

Same rancid cunts that chased Danny Rose of twitter. Football supporters are entitled jackasses.

So Sanchez isn’t entitled to basic human consideration because he’s negotiated a contract that (in your eyes) he doesn’t deserve?
Statistically, half of us are below average at our jobs and that excuses abuse?

No, I just don't think its particularly sad or worthy of note that a guy rewarded with 65 thousand a week for occassionally playing football got booed. It's been blown way out of proportion. It's neither 'part of the problem' nor particularly sad.

Stuff like 'basic human decency' envokes a sense that we should genuinely feel really sorry for him. I just don't. Every single person on this forum would trade places and laugh off the boos.

If being booed for being crap at football qualifies as 'abuse' then god knows what most retail staff have to put up with for 1/1000000th of the money and far worse working conditions.

No, I just don't think its particularly sad or worthy of note that a guy rewarded with 65 thousand a week for occassionally playing football got booed. It's been blown way out of proportion. It's neither 'part of the problem' nor particularly sad.

Stuff like 'basic human decency' envokes a sense that we should genuinely feel really sorry for him. I just don't. Every single person on this forum would trade places and laugh off the boos.

If being booed for being crap at football qualifies as 'abuse' then god knows what most retail staff have to put up with for 1/1000000th of the money and far worse working conditions.
So, we have brave people like Naomi Osaka coming out and talking about mental health issues in athletes but you think it’s okay to pile on because you don’t like their pay scale.

The booing of Sanchez yesterday was absolutely shameful. He’s barley played a game all season, was out of position and is low on confidence. How on earth is booing him going to improve our chances of him playing well and us winning the game?

Unfortunately, this kind of behaviour has started characterise a large percentage of the fan base (both at games and on social media). No wonder so many good players can’t succeed with us.

A sad day to be spurs.

Top top post.

Anyone who disagrees is wrong. Simple.

Like that weirdo whose name rhymes with Bomb

Last edited:
So, we have brave people like Naomi Osaka coming out and talking about mental health issues in athletes but you think it’s okay to pile on because you don’t like their pay scale.

I have no issue with their pay-scale. They get paid shit loads as they are very talented & play in a very wealthy industry, that's fine. It also means that as part of playing in a high pressure industry, they deal with the fans. Being booed isn't very nice, its also not genuinely abuse. At least not in my book anyway, but maybe my job has skewed my perception.

I also don't think it's 'okay' in the sense I'd never do it and do not think he was the right target. I just can't conjure up that much sympathy for him, and yes the upsides to his career are a big part of that. Bit of rare booing vs being part of the top 1% with incredible working conditions, hmm..

Fan anger is well deserved, and while directing it at the players isn't ultimately the source of the problem, they are hardly blameless and I don't think ought to be immune from that frustration.

I just can't for the life of me understand why Sanchez of all players would be singled out as *the* target, seemingly spontaneously.

This is why the word fans really ought to be the one used, because it's short for fanatics which describes most. Not very "supportive" tp boo your own.

Sanchez is paid 65 grand a week to mostly sit on a bench, train and then sometimes kick a football. He's not been very good at it so got booed. Basic human decency might be slightly hyperbolic. I'm sure its not very nice for him, I'm also sure that the vast majority of jobs in the world face much worse for far less reward.

(And no, this doesn't mean I'm saying its right. I'm saying lets have a bit of perspective. The fans pay a lot and aren't happy so do a bit of pantomine booing to the extremely well rewarded sportsman. Its not some Greek tragedy.)
I couldn't agree more. It's not nice to imagine someone being booed by a large crowd, BUT he's paid insanely well to be very good at something, and he isn't. It's a sporting theatre, not a colosseum.

He'll live.

Well I am going to butt out of this thread now. The people who think this abuse was justifiable or ok are posters I no longer wish to interact with. Scummy behaviour.

The last thing I will say is that all that abuse that was needlessly directed at Sanchez…that should’ve been aimed at Levy / ENIC, not an individual player.

End of story.

Tragic thread.

Its ThE FaNS FaULt

Levy must be pissing himself.

Our fanbase has the most mugs per capita than any other club in existence.

Fucking crying about booing a player.

Mugs.
You don't understand that booing Sanchez from the moment he came on had a serious effect on his confidence, meaning that we were then playing with the equivalent of 10 men. His head was scrambled and he was petrified of making a mistake - and you know what happens when you're scared of making a mistake, don't you?
Basically, the Spurs fans who booed made it harder for their own player and their own team. But I don't expect you to have the intelligence to understand that. And indeed you won't.

It's not nice for people to boo a player. Agreed.

This thread says that the fans are part of the problem. The problem being described isn't human decency, it's Spurs being shit. That's what I understand the title of the thread to mean.
And surely whether it’s OK to take our frustration on ENIC and the club since the CL final out on one player? Sure he ain’t the VVD we hoped for but to boo / scapegoat our own player when he touches the ball for their crimes is a disgrace.

We ARE part of the problem because the righteous anger is mis-directed. It deflects from the truth.

#stayawayistheonlyway

Last edited:
Fan anger is well deserved, and while directing it at the players isn't ultimately the source of the problem, they are hardly blameless and I don't think ought to be immune from that frustration.

I just can't for the life of me understand why Sanchez of all players would be singled out as *the* target, seemingly spontaneously.
Not justifying it, but it's because he's made so many blunders in his time here.

Back
Top Bottom