we are keeping our manager and getting the players we want!!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: we are keeping our manager and getting the players we wa

I've said all along I think the only way Harry would stay would be if we went after and got the 2 or 3 players he thinks we need to really challenge for a title.

To do that, we need to pay higher wages.

Ball's in Levy's court.

The thread title seems a bit misleading.

The reality is, IMO, that Redknapp will likely play each side off one another until the best financial offer presents itself as I think each job, by itself, has it's set of pros and cons. Spurs, good squad, title challenge possible, go down in history and one of the most successful English club managers of the modern age. However, Last chance to manage England, despite it being a poisoned chalice and the England squad being filled with prima donnas and, frankly, a bit rubbish.

The England job thus far has been worth £6m a year. That's double what Redknapp earns with us. So Levy is going to need to offer Harry probably two and half times what he is currently getting to even get close to providing a much better offer. Hell, for that sort of money you could start thinking about Mourinho just as much.

The fact is that the day Capello resigned we were fucked. I highly doubt that Redknapp will commit either way until the season is over and if we force his hand now we could find ourselves without a manager for the rest of the campaign, which is worst case scenario to me. I suppose you could take some stock in the fact that he has said he won't bow out on Spurs before the end of the season, but based on Redknapp's previous club departures I am not convinced that he will do that if he is forced to make a decision early.

I guess only time will tell.

Nothing about breaking the wage structure to mollify Modrić. Deafening silence.

Smoked Salmon said:

fucking hell... in my excitement i hashed that one up.

the title was supposed to read ARE WE and not we are.
sorry should be giving myself a negative rep there.

Éperons said:

modric was apparently offered £100 000 a week plus a £3.5 mill loyalty bonus if he stayed.

durbanspur said:
Éperons said:

modric was apparently offered £100 000 a week plus a £3.5 mill loyalty bonus if he stayed.

So there goes about £24 million of the 'war chest'...

:levystare:

stickygerbil said:
I imagine that if the wage structure is rebuilt, it'll be done outside of the 'war chest'. What I mean is that that 50m could just be a sort of gift specifically to Redknapp to splash on players. Wages, etc., will get taken care of via other means.

Our squad situation is a bit precarious in the homegrown department (we're at +1 homegrowns). Basically, for every furriner we bring in, we have to get one off the books. One of Gomes or Cudicini will be gone over the summer, so that would help, but to be able to breathe, we might need to shift another player. Like Gio.

Éperons said:
stickygerbil said:
I imagine that if the wage structure is rebuilt, it'll be done outside of the 'war chest'. What I mean is that that 50m could just be a sort of gift specifically to Redknapp to splash on players. Wages, etc., will get taken care of via other means.

Our squad situation is a bit precarious in the homegrown department (we're at +1 homegrowns). Basically, for every furriner we bring in, we have to get one off the books. One of Gomes or Cudicini will be gone over the summer, so that would help, but to be able to breathe, we might need to shift another player. Like Gio.
i think it would be fair to shift gio, not because he isnt up to scratch but because the poor bugger
never gets a chance to do shit. he is lucky if he even makes it onto the sub bench.
i feel absolutely terrible for the guy, cos he has such promise

Éperons said:
stickygerbil said:

I hope so but I just don't see how we can afford to up all our top players wages to ~100k, which will happen, once one is upped, the rest will come knocking.
So let's say that includes: Modric, Bale, Rafa & Adebayor (if signed perm)
A £50 million war chest on top of that plus the ~100k wages of new players coming in...
Seems a bit out of our reach, no?

Plus, surely we need to put a lot of finance into the NPD?

Edit: Not to mention £10 million of that 'war chest' will be gone instantly on Ade if we do/can make it permanent

the extra income from CL would cover a portion of that, plus we are gonna need
to be rotating the squad, remember what happened to us last CL, the players
couldnt keep up with all the extra games.

durbanspur said:
Smoked Salmon said:

fucking hell... in my excitement i hashed that one up.

the title was supposed to read ARE WE and not we are.
sorry should be giving myself a negative rep there.
I'll give you a pos instead :)

So realistically what price would we get for:
Gio... ~£7m
Bentley... ~£5m
Jenas... ~£5m
Niko or Pienaar... ~£7m or ~£5m
Seb... ~£5m
Charlie... ~£5m
Total... ~£34m... reasonable?

That should cover wage increases of our top boys for 1 or 2 years and possible the purchase of Ade...

£50m still to spend...

:ledleylick:

this is my biggest continued worry with spurs at the moment.
its both a glorious thing and a shit thing all rolled up into one.
on one hand we are climbing the ranks and building a magical team, new stadium, and future for
the club, and in order to do this we need some more top players.
regardless of the new stadium or not, a team on the up and up will need to invest
in the odd top player here or there to either bolster the squad or have as rotation/back up players
and in doing so keep up their ascent. which is understandable and exactly what we are doing.
with being a top 4 team comes the extra leagues and financial income however the other side
to this double edged sword is that our expenses will increase significantly as well as the number
of games we have to play which in turn will have an effect on the playing squad.
so we need a large group of top players to sustain a continued assault on the best leagues
year in and year out. to do that we need shit loads of money. to get that money we need top players
and continued champions league football and bigger better sponsors. its a vicious circle.
throw into this mix the new stadium and we have a recipe for disaster.
we all know levy will make small changes to the wage structure to keep top players.
changes that no doubt some teams can offer substantially more to lure away our players.
we lose those players and start dropping down the ladder again and we are in big trouble.
this man is the bravest motherfucker i know :levystare: cos i would hate to be in his shoes
making these decisions.

stickygerbil said:
So realistically what price would we get for:
Gio... ~£7m
Bentley... ~£5m
Jenas... ~£5m
Niko or Pienaar... ~£7m or ~£5m
Seb... ~£5m
Charlie... ~£5m
Total... ~£34m... reasonable?

That should cover wage increases of our top boys for 1 or 2 years and possible the purchase of Ade...

£50m still to spend...

:ledleylick:

missing a few there also that we could sell. its not much cash but its cash none the less.
even if they go on a free there is wage money we would save.

Is'nt Jenas contract up soon?

Also, I think its going to take a lot more than £50mil to be able to beat Man City to the title.

Dru said:

Also, I think its going to take a lot more than £50mil to be able to beat Man City to the title.

Yeah I think you're right there... either way its money in the pot.

Lets just pray the FFP rules actually come into fruition... without loopholes, like the City-Etihad sponsorship saga

Dru said:

you jumping the gun dru. we not trying to beat city to the title, we trying to keep harry at spurs.
the 50 mill is a nice big juicy carrot. and if harry bites then we will see if the money can help
us mount an attack on the title. a 2-3 year goal in my opinion.

if this is true and harry decides to hell with england
can you imagine the team we start next season with!!!!
:excited: :bow: :winner: :harrylol:

durbanspur said:
you jumping the gun dru. we not trying to beat city to the title, we trying to keep harry at spurs. the 50 mill is a nice big juicy carrot.
That's how I (naively?) read the war chest business, too.

I have a lot of faith in Levy. He knows what it takes to increase the resale value of the club (new stadium, success on the pitch), and he's not going to bankrupt the club chasing those two things.

As I mentioned in a diff thread, according to Miles from Sports Interactive, Spurs budget for 10th every year, and that's good to hear.

Back
Top Bottom