What does match day mean to you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Everybody has a different level of excitement, hope & expectancy.... going by the disappointment of last night’s postponement and the reaction on the match thread got the vibe a lot felt the same? I’d checked the fixtures organised my evening then bang, nothing..sad I know :( even if we’ve had a run of poor results I still look forward to the next game...is it just me or is there other sad Tottenham fans who have nothing else in their lives :moursad:

and happy ....;)

Good question.

An irrational absorption of time and emotion. Hope sprinkled with large doses of trepidation.

Invariably the difference between a good day and a much better day.

It means forum peace and harmony or division.

It's also great to go go through the perversity of the emptional rollercoaster but would happily settle for less of the big dippers.

Last edited:
Since I live in America, most games for me are in the morning or early afternoon. If it is the early morning game, like Leeds on Saturday kicks off at 6:30 am for me, it will be falling asleep full of nerves and waking up at 6 full of excitement/nerves. My wife works every weekend so it's just me and the two little ones at home and they play while I pace around the house, cleaning and doing odd jobs since I'm too nervous during a game to actually sit.

If we have a weekday game, I watch it on my phone in the office and try to stay composed.

If we win, my wife knows because she comes home to a happy house. If we lose or draw a game we shouldn't, she comes home to a pretty quiet house where I am forcing myself to act happy for the kids.

It's an obsession for sure. I will admit I'm better than I was 5 years ago where a loss would ruin my whole day. Now I'm able to at least pretend I'm in a good mood when around others and not let it impact everyone around me. It's enough for Spurs to piss me off, no need for Spurs to piss off innocent bystanders.

Flash back to the late 60's.
My mate Martin would get a lift from Cuffley from his mum to my house in Edmonton. We'd walk down to Tottenham and have breakfast in a cafe just down from WHL Station. We'd then go into the Supporters Club, have a few beers, watch football and book our train tickets for the next away game.
Then we'd make our way past the peanuts seller in the Paxton to our place on THE SHELF.
Our heroes would then imerge and we'd go mental .
Happy days COYS.

Nowadays, not a lot other than watching on sky and watching everyone whinging on here.
Normally - Meet up with 4 other friends for a fry up somewhere, probably about 5 or 6 pints before the game ( depending on KO ) watch the game and maybe one or two more after.
The whole day is fantastic and something that has been a big part of my life for the majority of my life.
The reason I don't breakdown as much as some when we lose is because i've been there in the dark days. Home and away - Going to Sheffield on a cold wet tuesday night and watching us get battered 6-0 and getting home at 05:00 the next day, barely missing a game during the Christian Gross years etc etc.

I wish we could go back to the good old days when it was always a Sat 3pm kick off.

Nowadays, not a lot other than watching on sky and watching everyone whinging on here.
Normally - Meet up with 4 other friends for a fry up somewhere, probably about 5 or 6 pints before the game ( depending on KO ) watch the game and maybe one or two more after.
The whole day is fantastic and something that has been a big part of my life for the majority of my life.
The reason I don't breakdown as much as some when we lose is because i've been there in the dark days. Home and away - Going to Sheffield on a cold wet tuesday night and watching us get battered 6-0 and getting home at 05:00 the next day, barely missing a game during the Christian Gross years etc etc.

I wish we could go back to the good old days when it was always a Sat 3pm kick off.
Bang on Billy. Those were the days and I miss them.

Hard to say.

First trip to the Lane was like a religious experience, and it was just a pre-season friendly. Every game I've been to has involved travelling up from Bristol, so they really were a day. Most times I'd meet up with my mate in the B&H before and after.

Normally it's just a case of finding a stream and hoping to enjoy it. For big games I'd go to the pub.

In all honesty these days I just feel deflated and will half watch every game, usually with the sound off.

Always look forward to it, ever hopeful, often disappointed. Just the way it is, in for the rough and the smooth, win lose or draw, a rollercoaster I can’t get off. Wouldn’t change a thing, proud to be a yid!

Few cans on the train then a quick walk down from seven sisters and Meeting the likes of Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor at the dispensary and having a few neck oils , then spending all of the first half trying to hold my bladder till half time! :angryscouser:

Since I live in America, most games for me are in the morning or early afternoon. If it is the early morning game, like Leeds on Saturday kicks off at 6:30 am for me, it will be falling asleep full of nerves and waking up at 6 full of excitement/nerves. My wife works every weekend so it's just me and the two little ones at home and they play while I pace around the house, cleaning and doing odd jobs since I'm too nervous during a game to actually sit.

If we have a weekday game, I watch it on my phone in the office and try to stay composed.

If we win, my wife knows because she comes home to a happy house. If we lose or draw a game we shouldn't, she comes home to a pretty quiet house where I am forcing myself to act happy for the kids.

It's an obsession for sure. I will admit I'm better than I was 5 years ago where a loss would ruin my whole day. Now I'm able to at least pretend I'm in a good mood when around others and not let it impact everyone around me. It's enough for Spurs to piss me off, no need for Spurs to piss off innocent bystanders.
Interested to know what attracted you to supporting Spurs in the first place ? For me it’s cause my dad was a Yid

Post pandemic - like you all, watching on telly. It’s the hope that kills etc. Reflecting on how far football has come and far it is from its roots. TFC is a fairly depressing place when we’ve lost but I suppose that is to be expected given the circs..

Before all that though, football has meant starting early in town (I’m south of the river), beers with mates, travel to the game with them and/or my eldest son. Maybe it’s the being with other fans but negative results always seem easier to take live.

Going way back, I miss 3pm KO’s, away days, proper London derbies, standing instead of sitting, players running out quick warm up and on with the game, no ‘warm up’music or light shows, VAR or any other nonsense. And I miss it being affordable to most and not an ‘experience’ or it having to entail more planning than an average family holiday. Now I’m just sounding like the middle aged curmudgeonly fuck that I am.

I’ll end on a positive though: for all our recent travails and current displeasure with our style of football I wouldn’t trade it. I take pride in following a club known and admired for its history, players, flair and elan. For having given us Bill Nick, Blanchflower, Greavsie, Hoddle, Perryman, Ardiles, Gazza, Ledley, Bale, Son & Kane. I’m grateful and I love the club (sometimes despite myself...)

as always COYS

Living in ireland can be expensive getting to WHL. But loved going to the old stadium. Even got the missus loving going. Pints before hand pints after. Brilliant.
Best trip was league cup semi v burnley at home. Flight at 6 in morning early pints in airport. Were in hotel set and ready to go at 10 bells. Hit the store early got interviewed by setanta sport at the time ref jermaine defoes return. Threw everything back into hotel back to stadium for early pints before game. Well oiled going in, win and we ended up drinking vodka with 2 russians over to see big pav in one of the bars outside the ground. Surprisingly enough cant remember which. Early flight next morning wasnt the best.

I'm so fed up with not going to live games or down the pub for the away ones I have given up trying to find a dodgy stream, and have stopped organising my life around the fixtures. Trying to follow a game on the radio is painful, I hate the commentary, and I really don't like the way the match threads descend into insults and abuse when things don't go our way, so swerve TFC until the game is over. If it's worth it, I'll watch the highlights on MOTD.
My mood matches the result, and I really wish that wasn't the case, as the only thing that improves my mood is a win in the next game.
Nothing beats going to a game, even when the result doesn't go our way. I miss the camaraderie and the banter, with friends and strangers, who become instant friends, just because we are all Spurs supporters.
So, at the moment, it's tough to feel involved as I should, but it is what it is. The sooner we can get back in the stadium, the better.

Few cans on the train then a quick walk down from seven sisters and Meeting the likes of Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor at the dispensary and having a few neck oils , then spending all of the first half trying to hold my bladder till half time! :angryscouser:
Cheers fella. As you say, meeting old mates and new people from TFC along with a good laugh on the train with my brother in law and a few pints along the way are almost more important than the actual game.

A win helps though.

Pre covid, meant getting plenty of sleep the day before as kick off down under usually involves me getting up at 1, 3 or 5 am.

Only upside with the damn pandemic is working from home ... I don't need to plan as much.

The sooner we can get back in the stadium, the better.
rupauls drag race raven GIF

Back
Top Bottom