What would you do if you were manager of the current squad?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone who has read some of my previous posts will know I’m no fan of Mourinho’s but nobody can argue with his achievements in the game over the past 20 years.

A few months ago the team were looking awesome

Kane and Sonny thriving up top

Dier at long last looking like a rock at the back

Ndombele thriving box to box and linking the play as he did at Lyon.

Big results against the Manchester clubs

I think Mourinho has made some excellent acquisitions too in Hoijberg and Reguilon.

It’s just not working out for whatever reason not all the team are buying into his like it or not (proven winning formulas) yes it’s negative counter attacking bullshit to watch parking the bus but he has always won at all his previous clubs.

If you were manager of the club right now what would you do to improve our car crash of a season?

For me personally I’m so disappointed with Mourinho’s under usage of Steve Bergwijn and Carlos Vinicius I would play them both a lot between now and the end of the season to have a better idea in what direction we might be heading in come next season.

They are both worldies who need game time and could be every inch as good as Mane/ Salah.

Last edited:
I know we can all write a get rid of list etc and we all know that list contains

Lloris

Winks

Davies

Alli

Etc
Etc

But the end of the day they are with us until the end of this season atleast so what would you do to improve things right now and see us perform at the levels we should be

Ask to be given 4 transfer windows and the backing to sell 10-15 of the squad and bring in players to replace them who are not mentally damaged and actually have football ability and a brain.

Nothing can be done to salvage this squad it's the same squad who got Poch sacked after all. It just really is bar 5 or so players shite

I don’t think Mourinho has ever been in this situation in his career before.
It’s a real strange one to answer because your spot on he’s never been in this position before and maybe more than ever he has to try something totally unlike Mourinho ever has and go gung ho all out attack as we did with Poch at his best
We got the strike force and with the centre backs we do have we will always concede goals so just go for it or die trying

Us Spurs fans love a trier we just look so useless at the moment.

Anyone who has read some of my previous posts will know I’m no fan of Mourinho’s but nobody can argue with his achievements in the game over the past 20 years.

A few months ago the team were looking awesome

Kane and Sonny thriving up top

Dier at long last looking like a rock at the back

Ndombele thriving box to box and linking the play as he did at Lyon.

Big results against the Manchester clubs

I think Mourinho has made some excellent acquisitions too in Hoijberg and Reguilon.

It’s just not working out for whatever reason not all the team are buying into his like it or not (proven winning formulas) yes it’s negative counter attacking bullshit to watch parking the bus but he has always won at all his previous clubs.

If you were manager of the club right now what would you do to improve our car crash of a season?

For me personally I’m so disappointed with Mourinho’s under usage of Steve Bergwijn and Carlos Vinicius I would play them both a lot between now and the end of the season to have a better idea in what direction we might be heading in come next season.

They are both worldies who need game time and are every inch as good as Mane/ Salah.
While I'm up for giving them more game time, there's zero reason to believe Bergwijn and Vinicius are anywhere near the level of Mane and Salah. I honestly can't tell if you're taking the piss there.

While I'm up for giving them more game time, there's zero reason to believe Bergwijn and Vinicius are anywhere near the level of Mane and Salah. I honestly can't tell if you're taking the piss there.

Berg was also given plenty of time he's played 25 games and has 0 goals or assists, and wasn't like he had 0 chances in those games. His confidence is just shot. Likely not helped be Mourinho playing his as a defensive winger admittedly

Vinicius we need to see what he can do in big games for sure

But if you have ever really watched Steve Bergwijn play football (in Holland 🇳🇱 and when he first arrived at Spurs) how can you think he doesn’t have the ability to be a true world beater?

Last edited:
In the very short term play to our strengths. Use Kane, Son, Bale, Ndombele, Lo Celso etc and play a pass and move, retain possession game, look to break the opposition down and have PEH sitting as cover for opposition counterattacks.

Don’t sit back and let all the pressure hit our weakest area which is our CB’s. Make sure either Sanchez or Rodon are playing so we have pace at the back for cover. Our squad is far more suited to being a poor mans Pep than a poor mans Pulis which is what we are now.

Vinicius we need to see what he can do in big games for sure

But if you have ever really watched Steve Bergwijn play football (at Ajax and when he first arrived at Spurs) how can you think he doesn’t have the ability to be a true world beater?
I've seen him fluff chances and be pretty ineffective in dozens of games. I'm all for giving him more chances to prove himself but there's nothing he's done in England to suggests he's any more than the next Andros Townsend.

P. S. He played for PSV (I doubt any of us watched him play at Ajax youth)

Ask to be given 4 transfer windows and the backing to sell 10-15 of the squad and bring in players to replace them who are not mentally damaged and actually have football ability and a brain.

Nothing can be done to salvage this squad it's the same squad who got Poch sacked after all. It just really is bar 5 or so players shite
We have a squad of cowards.
In any game we play as soon as we come under pressure we go into our shell.
If you have played football at any level 90% of all games are won even before the kick off. if you are more up for it than your opponent you will often win the game.
Our squad lack the will to win has little heart and desire even under Poch we froze on many occasions because we lack bottle and are not prepared to fight.

If I was the manger of this squad I would jetison;
Davies
Dier
Winks
Doherty
Sanchez
Sissoko
Dele
Bergwign
ASAP

I would never have a back 4 with more than 1 of Davies, Doherty, Sanchez and Dier in it until they're all gone.
I would never play winks.

I'd be looking for a new keeper.
I'd make an onfield player captain.
I'd demand a proven CB. Not a child. Not a lower league pleb. A proven CB.
I'd play Vinicious more often to see if he's up to it otherwise, send him back and get some one who is.
I'd figure out which players are interested.

I've seen him fluff chances and be pretty ineffective in dozens of games. I'm all for giving him more chances to prove himself but there's nothing he's done in England to suggests he's any more than the next Andros Townsend.

P. S. He pl

P. S. He played for PSV (I doubt any of us watched him play at Ajax youth)
lol you spot on about PSV lol well Levy would’ve fired me by now

My point is with Bergwijn he has the abilities he just needs a truly consistent run of games under his belt and to be managed properly to unlock his potential

My point is with Bergwijn he has the abilities he just needs a truly consistent run of games under his belt and to be managed properly to unlock his potential

Yeh with some players I am very hestitant to judge under this Jose shitshow. That’s why we need a new manager in at end of season early so they can make the call. Bergwijn has a lot of talent, it’s not like Sissoko who you know is limited.

Back
Top Bottom