Whatever happened to ... ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The 92/93 season under the Venables/Livermore/Clemence unusual management structure saw a considerable number of youngsters from the youth set up make their first team debuts and impressed with follow up apparances such as Nick Barmby, Andy Turner, Kevin Watson, Kevin Dearden, Stuart Nethercott, Danny Hill and Sol Campbell (other also made their first team debuts but their names escape me). A young Steve Carr and Gerard McMahon were brought over from Ireland and were impressing alongside Steve Clemence and Chris Day in the youth team (won the youth fa cup) and reserves. Ian Walker, Dave Tuttle and John Hendry made their debuts in the previous two seasons and continued to show promise. Darren Caskey was captain of the England U20s and gaining rave reviews.

Added to this we signed the uncapped Darren Anderton, Teddy Sheringham, Neil Ruddock and Dean Austin. The first 3 would later be capped for England. Although they finished 8th that season and had a fair few dodgy results, they had a few spells when the team clicked and played some of the best football I had seen at Spurs. With a clear emphasis on youth and so many promising youth footballers breaking through. I thought Spurs were going to be the team for the next decade.

But Spurs being Spursy had to sack Venables quite rightly for non football reasons. Ardiles replaced Clemence and Livermore. Ardiles finding himself under pressure from a large hostile pro Venables anti Sugar fan base whilst sliding into a relegation battle padded out the squad with players such as Jason Dozzell, David Kerslake, Colin Calderwood, Kevin Scott, Ronnie Rosenthal and the return of veteran Mickey Hazard. A lot of those youth team players found their pathway blocked or simply did not kick on as expected. The potential of the 92/93 team was never realised and Spurs spent the rest of the 90s in the wilderness, whilst the Man Utd class of 92 emerged and the rest as they say is history.

Darren Caskey always stays in my mind.

Same age group as me, he was the England under 18 captain who won the UEFA tournament for their age group.

He just never amounted to much in the professional game.

Amazing how many 18-21 year olds who look great never really kick on.

(Chris Day played in that England team as well -spurs youth player he ended up at Stevenage FC, a Stevenage lad and also a big Spurs fan)

Bingo. Next up:

Nm5HWlF.png

Simon Dawkins?

Everyone of my age (mid 30s) will recall the day when the FA Cup was still glorious (weakened teams and throwing matches wasn't yet a thing). We drew Man United away in the 3rd round, live on telly.... 1996/7

And started up front with Neale Fenn and Rory Allen; against what reflectively looks like an absolutely world class Manchester United team.

Obviously this guy also

QHTxe4t.png

During the 2013 summer, he had offers from English side Tottenham Hotspur[8] and Italian club Napoli.[9] He was close to join the Italian side, but the deal fell through because "sponsorship contracts made it impossible".[10] Even though the club bought Gonzalo Higuaín after failing to land the Brazilian striker, Napoli chairman Aurelio De Laurentiis later stated that Rafa Benítez wanted Damião instead of Higuaín.[11]

Honours
Club
Internacional
Flamengo
Kawasaki Frontale
International
Brazil
Individual

Difficult thread as when you think of someone you google them and then you know what happened to them !

Example being Mabizela.... i’ll Google Toda shortly. We scraped a few barrels in the early to mid 2000’s

Back
Top Bottom