Where did this season go wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's the result of not listening to Poch when he asked for painful rebuild, then not listening to mourinho when he asked for some proper centre halves, then not listening to conte when he asked for some proper centre halves.

Why do we insist on neglecting that area? Is it because they're expensive and don't have much upside when you sell them. Not saying this is the case but I really don't understand the persistence with dier, davies, and sanchez
Has anyone actually tried coach our centre halves either. System sets us up to make mistakes. Not absolving our plaulyers but clubs like brighton, newcastle, villa have performed much better at the back with so called inferior players.

As for the centre back argument are we really trying to say there wasnt a single centre back in the world market that could have moved Davies or Dier to the bench? The lets wait for Gvardiol or Bastoni next summer argument looks pretty daft right now. I get not signing either of them, they didnt want to go but i fail to see how it was impossible to improve in that department and we didnt.

As for the centre back argument are we really trying to say there wasnt a single centre back in the world market that could have moved Davies or Dier to the bench? The lets wait for Gvardiol or Bastoni next summer argument looks pretty daft right now. I get not signing either of them, they didnt want to go but i fail to see how it was impossible to improve in that department and we didnt.

That's what happens when you have an unflexible manager.

If it's agreed a lot has gone wrong. How could that have been allowed to happen ?
Do all the wrongs lead back to Levy ultimately?
giphy.gif

Seriously though. Of course they do.

He hires and fires the managers.
He has the final say on transfers. Both in and out.
He's the reason the likes of Dier Davies and Sanchez have outlasted his previous FOUR managerial appointments.
He's the one behind signing cheap or free alternatives the managers do not want.

Ultimately, he instigated that disgraceful One and a Half year self imposed transfer,embargo that has snowballed into the mess we're in now and the shit show we saw last Saturday.

Taxi for Levy

Last edited:
Maybe that window in isolation but it’s not that window in isolation. There is always a great excuse.

Why even bother with a very public chase of Bastoni if you haven’t bothered to make sure he actually wants to move?

Or Bremer if you haven’t bothered to check whether he wants to stay and get his passport sorted?

Surely there are other targets on your list? There fucking should be?
Unless those public pursuits are just massive excuses or delay tactics,

If good players aren't available why spend the money on poorer players ?

Be thankful that Todd Boehly (who was behind the Cain Hoy bid a few years ago) didn't buy Spurs, otherwise this season would have seen £600m spent and players we didn't need added to the payroll (as he has done with Chelsea despite not buying a centre forward, the one position they needed to fill).

It's the result of not listening to Poch when he asked for painful rebuild, then not listening to mourinho when he asked for some proper centre halves, then not listening to conte when he asked for some proper centre halves.

Why do we insist on neglecting that area? Is it because they're expensive and don't have much upside when you sell them. Not saying this is the case but I really don't understand the persistence with dier, davies, and sanchez

Yes what we need is a Todd Boehly to spend £600m on the squad. I'm told Chelsea fans and players will be happy to see the back of him already

Be thankful that Todd Boehly (who was behind the Cain Hoy bid a few years ago) didn't buy Spurs, otherwise this season would have seen £600m spent and players we didn't need added to the payroll (as he has done with Chelsea despite not buying a centre forward, the one position they needed to fill).

Spurs fans would love Todd Boehly because apparently Levy doesn't spend any money 😆

giphy.gif

He's the reason the likes of Dier Davies and Sanchez have outlasted his previous FOUR managerial appointments.
He's the behind signing cheap or free alternatives the managers do not want.

Ultimately, he instigated that disgraceful One and a Half year self imposed transfer,embargo that has snowballed into the mess we're in now and the shit show we saw last Saturday.

Taxi for Levy

Levy may have tried to right the wrongs by appointing Paratici and now this Australian guy. Obviously the first attempt turned into a wrong and the upcoming second is unknown although possibly dubious?

Spurs fans would love Todd Boehly because apparently Levy doesn't spend any money 😆
The sad, and very silly thing about your comment is that you know, as we all know, , That Boehly's Chelsea will still end up winning trophies before Lewis & Levy's Spurs

Try thinking before you post. :memeokay:

Last edited:

We don’t really know the player’s were unavailable.

If they are unavailable why make them such public transfer targets via club friendly journalists like Ali Gold?
Why even try to get them that summer if you haven’t had preliminary conversations with their reps to see of they could move that summer?

If your transfer policy is those players or nothing, your scouting and recruitment process is outdated. The best clubs (I.e., Brighton) have a list of options they work their way through.

Instead Spurs offer up window after window of well publicized, failed chases for top tier talent.

Either you can see through it, or you can choose to continue sucking it up and accepting the same failure. Year after year.

Conte said it perfectly. 20 years this owner without winning because they don’t want the pressure. Transfer business is pressured. You get it done and you get the players. You don’t get it done and you don’t win.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

He's the behind signing cheap or free alternatives the managers do not want.

Taxi for Levy
How people wont accept this is incredible. Like Levy is an innocent bystander whilst Paratici, Nuno, Conte and Eric Dier bring the club down from within. Everything wrong is ultimately traced back to him and thats not a Levy rant because its the same for every business, buck stops at the top. He does the hiring and firing and if poor players havent been replaced properly its down to budgets or scouting, again down to him. When things havent worked at a business for 5 or so years normally a CEO would do the decent thing or be moved aside. Unfortunately for us the football is a tiny fraction of the business side so on we plod....

One thing I don't get about the defence problem is that Gerry Francis got PL record level defensive results from the same pool of defenders that got Ossie Ardiles sacked for his defensive failings. Surely a world class coach like Conte should have been capable of getting sound defensive results from our existing players?

All three of our first choice CBs are experienced internationals and should be doing a lot better than they have been. Even 2 of our 3 back-up CBs have played for their country. The answer isn't always the cheque book.

I can't help feeling that even if we did get Bastoni or Gvardiol, we'd still have the same problems. Pedro Porro and Perisic certainly haven't improved things.

- Conte explosive short term manager.
- unbalanced squad.
- clearly weak mentality in some players.
- all the chickens from our years of poor strategy coming home to roost.

The sad, and very silly thing about your comment is that you know, as we all know, , That Boehly's Chelsea will still end up winning trophies before Lewis & Levy's Spurs

Try thinking before you post. :memeokay:

You're telling me to think before I post yet you're using a hypothetical scenario you desperately want to happen just because it aligns with your narrative, righto :thumbup:

I guess that's where we've been going wrong, should have got Todd in he'd turn us into league winners in no time :harrylol:

Back
Top Bottom