Which players need to go?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I honestly just feel like we need to completely rebuild. Maybe I'm throwing out the baby with the bathwater, but I just can't help but think that this is not a matter of just changing out 2-3 players and we'll be back on the right path. This would need to be a wholesale change at this point.

The only two that I would MAYBE limit that to would be Kane and Son, just based upon sheer talent and heart they bring to the side. I could maybe make a case, maybe not convincing enough one for most people, that we just cut our losses and use them to rebuild.

I just feel like the team that we have come to love and appreciate so much is over. It's like owning a car that you have loved, but the repairs are so extensive that you may just need to cash it in and get something new.
I sympathise with this, even as a fanboy who reflexively opposes talk of selling Kane.

The argument you're talking about isn't even that difficult to make: if you accept the premise that Spurs need a ground-up rebuild that's going to mire the club in mid-table mediocrity for several seasons to come, keeping Kane and Son would be (a) pointless because those two alone won't get you top 4 or even 6 with journeymen in every other position, (b) creating a top-heavy distribution of funds and assets that could be leveraged to bring up the average level of the whole XI, and (c) selfish because both of those players deserve to win something substantive, not languish in obscurity for the rest of their careers.

But it all depends on whether you accept that core premise wrt how difficult and/or necessary the rebuild job really is. If Spurs can be back among the big boys next season with a handful of players that can be bought this summer, it would be ludicrous to sell Kane or Son (you'd just have two more vacancies that you could only fill with inferior replacements because the club doesn't have the clout to acquire players as good as Kane or as good as Son has become on the open market). I feel like most of us here agree that it's not a one-summer job though.

Aurier needs to the first out of the door - the Heurelho Gomes of the right back world.

Rose, Vertonghen were gone anyway - Lloris may need to follow them but he may have one season left.

Its the defensive side that needs strengthening - our attack has a lot of talent and I would retain all of our summer signings,

I generally believe that new coach should be able to assess ability from zero.
But there is one exception who should not get a chance and hopefully his stadium access key is already taken from him - and that is Dele.

I don't want to see him being imposer for first 3 weeks like under Mou and then totally vanishing once more. It only -
- disrupts the rythm of the whole team and finding best possible lineup
- just buys him time to continue taking wages and playing poorly even in few months perspective
- keeps his value in constant decline

We should cash in on him in 1st day of the window and put this money into player who has basic footballing ability like controlling the ball, looking around and making a pass... instead of trying fancy 3 meter flicks that almost never come off. He had the talent but it is gone. He has finishing ability and ability to be in right place at the right time, but for Spurs level he is not good enough on No10 role (position requires more composure), he is not good enough in CM (not sufficient mid-to-long range passing + lack of composure).

For everyone else I am willing to give a chance, but Dele is definition of Spurs downfall. His attitude and commitment are questionable and he has friends in the changing room. Spurs don't need that influence. Hope he will only play in Conference league from now on and is sold in winter.

I'm not exactly thrilled with Dele but writing him off before Winks seems a little over the top.

Well realistically a team can not replace more than 4-5 players in a year without massively upsetting the tema chemistry

So either we have to sell those with the highest value or the worst performers

Either way I think Aurier, Winks, Moura (90% of his games are shit nowadays yet holds some value), Dele...

Yet let's be honest, aside from Son/Kane, none of our players would be even difficult to replace.

Out of interest who do you see dumb enough to buy Toby and match his mental wages.

Congrats Jose, you've fucked everyone bar Toby over with that one.

and Chiriches!
mX7lip.gif

Lloris
Gazzaniga
Vorm
Aurier
Sanchez
Foyth
Dire
Aldeweireld
Vertonghen
Rose
Davies
Winks
Sissoko
Lamela
Luca
Dele

New team -

New gk
New gk
New rb
New rb
Tangang
New cb
New cb
New cb
New lb
Sessegnon
Skipp
New dm
New dm
Ndombele
Lo celso
Kid bought from Leeds last summer
New rw
Bergwijn
Son
New am
Kane
New cf
Parrot

A minimum of 13 new signings required for this painful rebuild, a rebuild that should have started after 2016/2017 season.

What did I just read? The only thing Kane lacks is pace and you can compensate for that by pairing him with a pacy forward that can run beyond him like, um, say, I don't know, Son? We've already seen Kane's ability to pick a great forward pass and then make an intelligent run to drag defenders out of space for a teammate a few times now so I think it could work.

In less sarcastic news, I would've thought it would be clear by now that Son alone is not going to replace the goalscoring output you get with Kane (at least not consistently enough). Nobody else in the squad has Kane's clockwork ability to put away chances.

If Kane had pace, he'd literally be the ultimate all-purpose forward. To get a bit FIFA on y'all asses for a moment, pace is the only attribute of his that isn't at least a solid 7.5 or 8/10. He holds up the play well enough to be a top-notch target man; he has the passing and vision to be a strong 10; he is also the consummate loose or second-ball poaching out-and-out striker.

Son lacks Kane's strength, hold-up, height/ability to knock down second balls from aerials, passing technique, predatory vision/instinct/positioning, and clinical finishing (yes, he's just as good some of the time and then he has those odd spells where he can't hit the proverbial barn door). I'm not saying Son's bad in any of those areas, but Kane is just some degree better (to an extent dependent on the trait). And you don't necessarily need to replace all of those attributes that you would lose with Kane - you can change your play style to minimise the importance of, for example, height and aerial ability by playing along the ground - but Son isn't going to cover everything you're losing in just one player.

Your strategy is impractical, IMO, unless it involves buying someone else to do what Kane could do already, only there's no way that player is going to be as good as Kane, which makes the whole thing an exercise in futility.

Really? Lets take a look and see how Son and team has performed when Kane has been out.

Since the Start of 2018/2019 Season (From: Aug 2018 Onwards)
*Includes ALL Matches/Competitions with Kane out due to injury AND Sonny starting the game/not getting a red card*

Champions League

Dortmund (Round of 16) - Win/Advance - GOAL
Man City (Quarter Finals) - Win/Advance - GOAL x3
Ajax (Semi Finals) - Win/Advance
*4 GOALS IN 4 APPS

EPL

9 Wins
3 Losses
1 Draw
*8 GOALS IN 13 APPS

FA Cup
Middlesbrough - Win/Advance
Southampton - Win/Advance - GOAL x2
*2 GOALS IN 4 APPS

SONNY'S TOTALS = 21 APPS / 14 GOALS (13 FROM OPEN PLAY)

Last edited:
Part of me thinks We would be foolish to write of Ndombele already, the other part thinks he has used this isolation period to let himself go even more :mourfacepalm:

Back
Top Bottom