Which striker should we sign?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who should be our 2nd striker

• Willian José

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • Islam Slimani

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Olivier Giroud

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Vedat Muriqi

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Haris Seferovic

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Wout Weghorst

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Fernando Llorente

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Just buy Crouch a pair of boots

Votes: 24 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting. I've just done a player comparison on WhoScored involving Piatek and Willian Jose and it makes for interesting reading.

Apart from goals scored (4 to 8), Piatek comes out as having better numbers regarding shots per game, key passes, dribbles, fouled more often, offside less and dispossessed less than Willian Jose.

Willian Jose has twice as many goals but with Piatek being 4 years younger and us being reluctant to do a deal with perm option factors, I doubt very much we'd commit to similar for Willian Jose based on his overall contributions to games face value.

If there's no movement from Real Sociedad's side I doubt we'll move for him as Piatek would have offered a more well rounded option compared, apart from the goals of course

I'd have preferred Piatek, but given the circumstances tonight I saw we bite the bullet on Willian Jose if the price isn't too expensive. If it is and if Chelseamare genuinely willing then let's be honest we have a better chance of having a decent last spell of the campaign with him than without him.

Bill Madrid Bill Madrid how much did you say he'd cost us?
First of all, I'm not saying WJ is the tits in vinegar or anything, just what I've said before, he's a younger Llorente - very strong in the air, holds the ball up well, maybe a little more skillful. Good passer too. I don't watch as much Spanish football as I used to but he seems a very decent option for the money we want to spend. My Atleti-supporting mate describes him as a "good player, not top", which I think might be as good as we can hope for, that would seem to describe all the strikers we've been linked with. I know nothing about Piatek so can't compare him, but I'd say he's more "involved" than Giroud. I liked what I saw of Muriqi against England but I'm aware that's just one game.

I do know that WJ is popular in San Sebastián, among fans, teammates and the club alike, he's seen as a hard worker.

As for how much he'd cost, you can forget about his €70 million buy out clause. La Real were holding out for €25 million (£21.2 m), we have supposedly offered €15 (£ 12.7) million which is way too low. There was some talk of a loan till the end of the season with a commitment to buy, so there is some leeway. I imagine €22 million (£ 18.7m) would do it, as the player is now "unsettled" and his replacement, Isak, is in fine form.

I'd rather we brought in Ian Wright than have to put up with people referring to WJ as "Jose" though.

Last edited:
At this point, literally any cunt will do - we have no real plan B/ target man at the moment.

Making the decision to let Llorente go in the summer look even more stupid now.

From Ornstein in the Athletic. Doesn't look like we are going to get one. Cant say I'm surprised but I am pissed off.

Further to Charlie Eccleshare’s post and related to Simon Johnson’s, my understanding is that Tottenham’s desire to sign a striker before the window closes is now unlikely to materialise - unless they can secure a deal for Olivier Giroud. And with that there is a problem because I’m told that, despite mixed messages on this in recent weeks, Chelsea will not let Giroud go without securing a replacement. If the Blues do get somebody in, things could get tasty because it is suggested to me that they would not block Giroud from joining Spurs. Giroud would seriously consider all options - including Tottenham - provided he gets the move he has been craving for the past few months, since it has become clear that he is not part of manager Frank Lampard’s plans at Stamford Bridge.

when-your-short-striker-but-big-dave-says-hes-got-9908313.png

Piatek hasnt really impressed me..Rebic is far far better than him. Hope we dont waste money that impacts the summer budget. Giroud on a 1-2 year deal would be acceptable..with the kind of service he is going to get, he will score a bucketload and especially against Woolwich - the celebrations alone would make it worth it..

Back
Top Bottom