Whitewebbs Park

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Did anyone else catch this in the news this morning?

Apparently, the club want to build the new Women's Academy on public countryside that has served the local community for generations. I have no personal experience of this park but have known and loved many others over the years.

I've got no problem with the club supporting the development of the women's game but does the academy need to be on this land? The board should remember that without the Tottenham Marshes, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club would not exist.

What are your thoughts on this?

Apparently, the club want to build the new Women's Academy on public countryside that has served the local community for generations. I have no personal experience of this park but have known and loved many others over the years.

I've got no problem with the club supporting the development of the women's game but does the academy need to be on this land? The board should remember that without the Tottenham Marshes, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club would not exist.

Next week, Levy is pitching the Tottenham, Monorail.

happy season 4 GIF

Thanks for this - I wasn't aware of it.

As the woman (Spurs supporter) at the end says, Spurs are greedy and need to find somewhere else.

SAVE WHITEWEBBS PARK!

The people of Enfield need all the open spaces they can get (as another contributor said) for their mental wellbeing.

Bloody greedy Levy.

I watched this clip this morning.

Levy is making friends everywhere isn't he?

This is pretty poor. Don’t honestly understand why they couldn’t have accommodated the women’s team at the Hotspur Way. Apparently it has 15 pitches. Whenever they show training videos, it’s not like they’re all being used.

It is the golf course that is being leased by spurs which will give the public back more Green space while enhancing the grass roots of the women’s game. The fact is while Enfield Council owned this golf course it was costing them a million pound in upkeep a year. I have cut through the disused golf course on a number of occasions something needs to be done with it and I see no problem Spurs building an academy on it.

It is the golf course that is being leased by spurs which will give the public back more Green space while enhancing the grass roots of the women’s game. The fact is while Enfield Council owned this golf course it was costing them a million pound in upkeep a year. I have cut through the disused golf course on a number of occasions something needs to be done with it and I see no problem Spurs building an academy on it.
The reason given for selling off the Park is no longer valid
The initial reason given for privatising / leasing/ selling of Whitewebbs was that the golf course was losing money every year. This is hotly debated but even if we accept the Council’s figures the closure of the course in March of this year invalidates the argument.
The site has reverted to open space for the people of Enfield as was envisaged in 1931 when the whole park was purchased and leased to Enfield Urban District Council for 999 years. This happened when the cricket pitch closed.
The park is now not costing any more than other parks and is drawing an income from the lease of Whitewebbs House (Toby Carvery) the mobile Café (£10,000 p.a.) and the social golf club (£10,000 p.a.). These facilities are seriously undervalued. A small London park café earns a rent of £30,000 a year plus
The old golf course offices, storage facilities, yard and car park are lying unused. What could they be earing?
Our Council tells us that it has major financial problems but it has given up large earnings from the golf course this year and is letting ENIC/Spurs have this land at an incredibly low rent. Why?
The Council is seeking to generate income from its parks. The marketing exercise for Whitewebbs was a lengthy and badly managed process. Bids were to be assessed on a range of criteria including financial contribution.

It's not like they're building flats, a kitten abattoir and a Starbucks on it....

If the Men's training ground is anything to go by, it will remain green, carbon aware (if not neutral) but respecting of local nature & wildlife.

As it is, the current golf course on that site merely provides nothing more than rich people with an excuse to get away from the wife, and give her justification to shag the Gardner!
No good will come from it! Better to put it to better use!

Then again, maybe the women's training centre just needs to be incorporated with the men's training ground in Enfield, and keep it all in the same place...
IF they want equality and all that!

It's not like they're building flats, a kitten abattoir and a Starbucks on it....

If the Men's training ground is anything to go by, it will remain green, carbon aware (if not neutral) but respecting of local nature & wildlife.

As it is, the current golf course on that site merely provides nothing more than rich people with an excuse to get away from the wife, and give her justification to shag the Gardner!
No good will come from it! Better to put it to better use!

Then again, maybe the women's training centre just needs to be incorporated with the men's training ground in Enfield, and keep it all in the same place...
IF they want equality and all that!
It is almost next door on the same road.

Thanks for this - I wasn't aware of it.

As the woman (Spurs supporter) at the end says, Spurs are greedy and need to find somewhere else.

SAVE WHITEWEBBS PARK!

The people of Enfield need all the open spaces they can get (as another contributor said) for their mental wellbeing.

Bloody greedy Levy.

I can't help but take anything GBN with a pinch of salt.

.............Where does the element of greed come into play?

.........Shouldn't the anger re: greed foremost be directed at the council?

(Ironically; seems the bloke that mentioned Kane simply believes they should have just negotiated more money.)

............Furthermore, aren't Spurs gonna face the same push-back in trying to obtain any such alternative plot of land?

This said, surely the club can squeeze the women into the same uber training center as the men?

Perspective box: The local community council was exactly who Spurs were issued the lease from.

The citizens against this are attempting to sue the local council, not Spurs.

Spurs ripping up the old golf course is good. It's costing the council thousands if not millions. And the women's team deserve their own training ground instead of being stuck training whenever there's a slot open in the men's first team schedule like they are now.

Spurs ripping up the old golf course is good. It's costing the council thousands if not millions. And the women's team deserve their own training ground instead of being stuck training whenever there's a slot open in the men's first team schedule like they are now.

Funny...... Despite prior pissing and moaning about Levy beefing up his property portfolio; turns out the acquisition of the golf-course was for footballing reasons afterall. :harrysmile:

Back
Top Bottom