Who is to blame for Ryan Sessegnon's lack of progress at Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who / what is to blame for Ryan Sessegnon's lack of progress at Spurs?

• Ryan Sessegnon

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Daniel Levy

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Ryan Sessegnon and Daniel Levy

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Brexit

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Regime Enthusiasts

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Ryan Sessegnon's mum

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Spurs medical team

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Coaching Staff

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Being injured all the time hasn't helped. He spent his summer working hard on getting the muscles of his leg in shape, but a month working long days one-to-one with a coach on how to do things with a football might have done more for him. I think he's a pretty good athlete, has it in him to be a decent defender and goal-scorer, times his runs very well, but with the ball at his feet he's Championship level.

Himself.

He was given everything needed to succeed here. World class facilities, surrounded by some excellent footballers, had World Class managers manage him, given plenty of game time when he has been fit, even sent out on loan for first team football.

But he's still the timid player who hasn't shown a single sign of improvement since he got here. You can't blame much else. Yes, coaches can improve players and get the best out of them but we've done everything possible to accommodate. Play him left wing back, get Perisic in to aid him, the lot.

For his own sake, he should move on in the summer with Udogie coming in.

Daniel Levy clearly. Took away the bloke's confidence.

Who can say for sure on Sessegnon. Hands-up thought he was a good signing and thought that was being evidenced at the end of last season but not happened this time round

He is a conundrum because he has good movement and often gets into good positions but he is as apologetic as Dier is unduly confident, and that means he rarely puts his foot through the ball. Solve that and whoosh but....

It's hard to decode.

Last edited:
If he played against himself, fuck all would happen. The ball would remain in stasis as the doppelgangers circled it, neither daring to make the approach.

The eternal prospect without prospects.

Lovely kid as we’ve all been saying. Just in the wrong job. Charges down the wing with as much pace and vigour as a UNICEF ambassador in a field full of landmines. Actually, charity work would suit this bloke very nicely. And oodles of nice is what’s stopping him from being to make it as a top pro.

I’m n fairness to royal he is a rb asked to play rwb.
Sessegnon is a lwb asked to play as a lwb. He can’t tackle, cross or shoot., that’s not the managers fault. Afraid of his own shite, looks like he wants to break into tears every time the camera is on him.

Like every other young player, the thing he needs most is consistent game time. When he got it last season, he improved.

Did he thought? It was just a progression of averageness. He’s scored 2 goals for us. The much maligned Emerson has probably got more. I think he’s worse than Emerson and only gets a free ride because he’s English. If he wasnt HG he’d have gone ages ago.

Pretty sure Walker was on loan aged 22?
I see something in Ryan. Maybe I'm wrong.
You aren't wrong.

I'll probably get 20 X reactions for this but Ryan can still be a very important piece for this team.

This season has been unbelievably dysfunctional and he has been a part of that but he did start the season scoring goals and has regularly got into scoring positions. End of last season he was crossing to Doherty and getting on the end of Doherty crosses.

His problem is that his mindset is so fucking fragile. IF he can get his own balls in his hands and make a fucking decision to be more of a motherfucker to play against, he has everything physically to be a terror on the left wing.

He has some attributes including making runs but his finishing (which in the past was very good) has been average. I think he’s a much better defender than what he’s given credit for. Unfortunately his crossing is rubbish, he can’t beat his opponent one on one with the ball, and is still too timid. His injuries have harmed him a lot but I feel he should have progressed more than he has. I don’t have issues with him as a back up LWB provided our first choice was excellent as he’s home grown, but my patience with him is wearing thin over time. I would probably loan him out next season to a Premier league club, if he doesn’t look the part then sell him, if he has a strong season then bring him back. He is still young but I really thought he would kick on this season and he hasn’t.

What sort of a thread is this??? The blame will lie with Sessegnon himself and the coaching staff to a degree, as its their job to train him and give him the tools to help him play to the best of his ability on a consistent basis.

Discussion over. Close the thread.

I've never really understood the hype here at all. Reminds me of Andros Townsend several years back. Not a bad player but don't think he'll ever be what a top premier league club needs or wants.

It's on the kid. Way too timid, average athleticism and poor technical ability. There just isn't a player there and in hindsight it was an awful signing.
Like but can't 'agree' with the bold. Is it really "on the kid" or should it be on those in the club and those on this board who thought there was anything there to begin with? I ask because, though I totally agree with the second part of your post, if the entities I mentioned recognized he was actually a nothingness of a footballer they wouldn't have had any hopes of 'progression' in the first place...and thus no room for consternation to foment. The player is just that, a player, and will go play where they pay him to do so. I'm not sure a player should be faulted for not progressing beyond his natural ability.

And I say this as someone who, as late as this summer/early part of the season, was being regaled with RS's many, many positive attributes by a poster on this board who very much fancies himself quite the talent scout. I don't know if this was happy clappy nonsense or real sentiment by this poster but these characteristics often go hand in hand. But it distorts things. This kid was never any good and his promise was always overstated. Glad everyone's coming to consensus...4 years down the line.

I'll probably get 20 X reactions for this but Ryan can still be a very important piece for this team.
...and that'd be fair because it's a long time past that anyone should be still looking to cope about this player.

His problem is that his mindset is so fucking fragile.
...and his mindset is fragile because he has little talent/ability to support the confidence you imply he should have.

he has everything physically to be a terror on the left wing.
...he doesn't. He neither has the acceleration nor the top end speed. Beyond that he's got no agility, everything is straight line. And these deficiencies are not countered by superior technical ability.

He's a garbage player and we need to get rid.

Back
Top Bottom