Why it’s a good thing they won

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No. What you said was that since 2006 Spurs had failed to break the top 4.

Try to be better.
i said this
"We progressed under him ( jol) until 2006, past then we have been in some strange state of limbo fluctuating on the fringes of a top 4 finish but ultimately falling short."

No where I did I state we failed to achieve top 4, What I mean specially is nail down a champions league spot consistently rather than being a one hit wonder. In that respect we have been on the fringes of the top 4 in general.It's like trying to argue our one carling cup win doesn't fall short of what you'd expect at a club like tottenham over two decades.

This is what made the rest of your post an utter fail.

Ive always criticised the PERFORMANCES under AVB...not his results.

Try again.

I can't be bothered to search through forum comments but the bar was raised very significantly during the AVB tenure and some were calling for his sack immediately after the west ham defeat. But that's progress isn't it?. I don't think other clubs keep using a bad patch in their history to keep lowering the bar and rationalizing steps back. We aren't the same club in the 90s or under lord sugar,we have a much stronger squad than 8 years ago ( and yes competition has got stronger) but ultimately Levy has hit his own glass ceiling and it's unclear how we will achieve anything more than a top 6 finish with his management style

I think ENIC are good for a bunch of poeple who don't want to spend much net money. Levy sells at a high market price and buys cheap but the problem with that is that we are constantly rebuilding our sqaud and so we never seem to settle enough to become good, every year feels like a new beginning. Bale was the golden goose whose sale could have really transformed us but a few of the buys didn't work out.

Still I suppose we have a stadium coming and the most indepth team I have seen at Spurs, but to really close the gap we need probably another 100 million spent well this time on maybe 2-3 world class players and to get a manager capable of getting the best out of a already talented squad.
Lamela £30m
Soldado £26m
Paulinho £17m
Not cheap!!

So you suggest signing 3 players for roughly £33m each. But what world class players worth that sort of money are going to come to Spurs? Who do you suggest signing? So many managers/chairmen spend for spendings sake - I don't think you can just throw money at it and expect top 4. There is no fixed figure to say if we spend 'x' amount, we will definitely challenge for the title. Some of the best players in the world have been bought on the cheap. We need to buy smart, not high.

You have been on of the biggest moaners here about AVB's results yet have the audacity to start defending our record by bringing up the 90s ? LOL,Yes and that was what I said, Spurs has stalled in the league since the jol era more or less.We repeated the same thing over 8 years. Sold the best players, brought in a manager and DOF, then sacked them both and brought in some new guy to coast off the ground work put in place by those previous managers and claim glory.
He didn't bring up the 90's. Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever did. As he has in several other threads of late, comparing ENIC with Sugar and beyond. sammyspurs sammyspurs simply showed the other side of the comparison, and in doing so completely disproved any notions that we haven't improved under ENIC.

Again, you revert to managerial sackings as if we are the minority. Only 2 clubs have had long term managers in the Premier League. 2. Not 12. Not 17. 2. We're like almost every other club. What makes you think we are so different to everyone else?

Gloating in one of our own's failure - celebrating our rivals' victory

:adethumbup:
Not really.

Saying something is a good thing because we can finally stop using their lack of success as a way to justify ours, isn't celebrating.

Reiterating that Lennon is no longer good enough and using this season as proof isnt gloating.

Lamela £30m
Soldado £26m
Paulinho £17m
Not cheap!!

So you suggest signing 3 players for roughly £33m each. But what world class players worth that sort of money are going to come to Spurs? Who do you suggest signing? So many managers/chairmen spend for spendings sake - I don't think you can just throw money at it and expect top 4. There is no fixed figure to say if we spend 'x' amount, we will definitely challenge for the title. Some of the best players in the world have been bought on the cheap. We need to buy smart, not high.

He didn't bring up the 90's. Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever did. As he has in several other threads of late, comparing ENIC with Sugar and beyond. sammyspurs sammyspurs simply showed the other side of the comparison, and in doing so completely disproved any notions that we haven't improved under ENIC.

Again, you revert to managerial sackings as if we are the minority. Only 2 clubs have had long term managers in the Premier League. 2. Not 12. Not 17. 2. We're like almost every other club. What makes you think we are so different to everyone else?

The difference between spurs and everyone else is that we had a real opportunity to go to the next level and exploit the opportunity of having a core of 3-4 players to build a strong squad around and realistically compete for champions league places as shown by the points difference between us and Woolwich in previous years.Nonetheless, ENIC's negativity in previous transfer windows has always seen us bottle it before the finish line.West Brom, west ham and your sunderland's haven't burned through 300m worth of players, sold them on and had only one champions league run and carling cup to show for it.It's a shambles the transfer strategy of the club. Furthermore, the perpetual changing of mangers inevitably means continual instability through comings and goings . We aren't chelsea , we aren't going to buy our way up the league. We have to follow the Woolwich, liverpool (and even manu ) approaches of some level of stabilit

Last edited:
I cannot read the article because woolwich winning anything will never be a good thing to me in any way.

Even if I didn't support Spurs, I'd still hate that shitcunt non-promoted franchise.

Lamela £30m
Soldado £26m
Paulinho £17m
Not cheap!!

So you suggest signing 3 players for roughly £33m each. But what world class players worth that sort of money are going to come to Spurs? Who do you suggest signing? So many managers/chairmen spend for spendings sake - I don't think you can just throw money at it and expect top 4. There is no fixed figure to say if we spend 'x' amount, we will definitely challenge for the title. Some of the best players in the world have been bought on the cheap. We need to buy smart, not high.QUOTE]

I am refering to our buys prior to the Bale money, we went somwhat crazy with that, Modric, Bale, Berbatov are more typical of our previous buys, we normally get a reasonable deal and Levy holds out for a good price most of the time. Even our new signings have not been to bad, Eriksen for 11 million will be worth fuck knows how much in a few years, Chriches looks really good when not injured, Paulinho was one of Brazil's best players prior to signing and has admittly been average but I doubt we will lose money on him. Lamela was outstanding in Italy and therefore had a huge fee we can only hope like Bale his talent comes through, it's Soldado I am really worried about, can't see him coming good nor re-couping much money.
In terms of throwing money at the problem it does work if you have enough and are willing to give it time, both City and Chelsea threw stupid amounts of cash at the problem, it took a few seasons but it worked. City spent 200 million a few seasons ago and still came behind us so I am not saying money alone does the trick but money, patience and time did the trick for City and Chelsea but I doubt we will ever have that kind of cash anyway.

I am refering to our buys prior to the Bale money, we went somwhat crazy with that, Modric, Bale, Berbatov are more typical of our previous buys, we normally get a reasonable deal and Levy holds out for a good price most of the time. Even our new signings have not been to bad, Eriksen for 11 million will be worth fuck knows how much in a few years, Chriches looks really good when not injured, Paulinho was one of Brazil's best players prior to signing and has admittly been average but I doubt we will lose money on him. Lamela was outstanding in Italy and therefore had a huge fee we can only hope like Bale his talent comes through, it's Soldado I am really worried about, can't see him coming good nor re-couping much money.
In terms of throwing money at the problem it does work if you have enough and are willing to give it time, both City and Chelsea threw stupid amounts of cash at the problem, it took a few seasons but it worked. City spent 200 million a few seasons ago and still came behind us so I am not saying money alone does the trick but money, patience and time did the trick for City and Chelsea but I doubt we will ever have that kind of cash anyway.
Your post reminded me to look up the Net spend table over the last 5 years.

Aston Villa have spent £180m, with a net spend of £86m. Who the fuck have they bought!!!?
Stoke net spend £91m.
City have spent £640m and Chelsea £436m. Absolutely crazy sums that we simply can't compete with on a reasonable level.

article-2553796-1B438F5300000578-927_634x436.jpg

Aston Villa have spent £180m, with a net spend of £86m. Who the fuck have they bought!!!?
Stoke net spend £91m.
City have spent £640m and Chelsea £436m. Absolutely crazy sums that we simply can't compete with on a reasonable level.

Interesting table, funny to see us and the scum right at the bottom, Newcastle what the fuck are they doing sitting on a pile of cash while their team declines, maybe Mike Ashley has just ran off with it. Man City's is insane if the financial fair play means anything they should be stripped of the title and disqualified from the CL.

Interesting table, funny to see us and the scum right at the bottom, Newcastle what the fuck are they doing sitting on a pile of cash while their team declines, maybe Mike Ashley has just ran off with it. Man City's is insane if the financial fair play means anything they should be stripped of the title and disqualified from the CL.
FFP is only relevant to European competitions, not domestic. They cannot stop teams 'buying' titles, but they can impose sanctions on their European endeavours or disqualify them altogether.

Whether CAS will uphold any of these sanctions if taken that far is yet to be discovered.

The difference between spurs and everyone else is that we had a real opportunity to go to the next level and exploit the opportunity of having a core of 3-4 players to build a strong squad around and realistically compete for champions league places as shown by the points difference between us and Woolwich in previous years.Nonetheless, ENIC's negativity in previous transfer windows has always seen us bottle it before the finish line.West Brom, west ham and your sunderland's haven't burned through 300m worth of players, sold them on and had only one champions league run and carling cup to show for it.It's a shambles the transfer strategy of the club. Furthermore, the perpetual changing of mangers inevitably means continual instability through comings and goings . We aren't chelsea , we aren't going to buy our way up the league. We have to follow the Woolwich, liverpool (and even manu ) approaches of some level of stabilit
Not past tense. We still have a chance, and we're battling to get there, but the challenges are forever increasing.

I wholeheartedly agree that changing managers on a regular basis only leads to unbalancing squads and upsetting players, both first team and youth. I still believe AVB was the man to take us forward.

Stoke net spend £91m.

Never mind Levy, just looking at that list it frightens me how much money is in football and how inept the ownership is in General, unbelievable really when you look at say Villa or Stoke, compare that to what Everton have with what they have spent. The agents, the scouting, the top of house decision making, just diabolical all the way down.

Not past tense. We still have a chance, and we're battling to get there, but the challenges are forever increasing.

I wholeheartedly agree that changing managers on a regular basis only leads to unbalancing squads and upsetting players, both first team and youth. I still believe AVB was the man to take us forward.

Not convinced by AVB but changing managers mid season unless your in a relegation dog fight and its obvious the manager is the problem is not in my books the best way forward. Would be nice to see a manager stay here for 5-10 years (if he is good enough of course) and see where we get.

Yes because Mr Bean, the great pretender. ( they could do so much better) will stay. AND if He had left, it would have opened the door to FDB going to them? So yes glad they won, have to take the positives.

Yes because Mr Bean, the great pretender. ( they could do so much better) will stay. AND if He had left, it would have opened the door to FDB going to them? So yes glad they won, have to take the positives.

mate, if you really think FDB is better than Wenger there may be no hope for you

Back
Top Bottom