Will you be watching the World Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will you be watching the World Cup

• Total voters
Are you old enough remember '66 then?
Aaah! Yeah!
66!

That goal was given once...!
Im Out See Ya GIF by La Guarimba Film Festival

Whilst eagerly anticipating my imminent return to football viewing , I’ve realised an unwelcome side effect to my highly principled stance/pointless deprivation of something I enjoy (it’s one or the other, probably both). What the hell did this World Cup mean for my fantasy team?

We have unlimited transfers for the next game week but I don’t have a clue how any players did if it wasn’t in the news headlines (sorry Harry).
Can any kind souls out there please advise;
a) Which prem players are now injured/knackered/mentally scarred and I shouldn’t touch with a barge pole?
b) Which cheap FPL players have turned out to be incredible and are set to deliver weekly points hauls?

Otherwise I going to have to listen to the FPL dullards on YouTube, and I really don’t want to.
Thanks.

( Or you could just make stuff up for your own amusement if you like, I’d be none the wiser.)

Yep , was thirteen when England won it , but it tells you everything that I cried when Jimmy Greaves wasn’t brought back for the final . Spurs first every time for me !

You old bastard

I was 12

The most upset I’ve ever been watching England was in Mexico 1970 blowing a 2-0 lead against W Germany after Banks had been poisoned

Inconsolable for days afterwards

FIFA plans for the next World Cup make it must see TV.

Apparently 160 countries will qualify, organized into 40 groups of 4 with the top 3 and the 39 best 4th place teams progressing. The knockout stages will then continue until it is discovered who will face France in the final.

Whilst eagerly anticipating my imminent return to football viewing , I’ve realised an unwelcome side effect to my highly principled stance/pointless deprivation of something I enjoy (it’s one or the other, probably both). What the hell did this World Cup mean for my fantasy team?

We have unlimited transfers for the next game week but I don’t have a clue how any players did if it wasn’t in the news headlines (sorry Harry).
Can any kind souls out there please advise;
a) Which prem players are now injured/knackered/mentally scarred and I shouldn’t touch with a barge pole?
b) Which cheap FPL players have turned out to be incredible and are set to deliver weekly points hauls?

Otherwise I going to have to listen to the FPL dullards on YouTube, and I really don’t want to.
Thanks.

( Or you could just make stuff up for your own amusement if you like, I’d be none the wiser.)
I'd definitely go with Messi / M'Bappé upfront tbh ;)

I'm really looking forward to the final whistle, then things will get better for the people of Qatar every day and I'll be happy to watch the games afterwards.

(I mean that ironically)

jeff dunham lol GIF

Nobody in the UK watched the final, oh wait....

World Cup 2022: Argentina's victory over France watched by peak of 14.9m people on BBC One​

Argentina's victory over France in the World Cup final was watched by a peak of 14.9m people on BBC One.

With a TV audience share of 58%, the dramatic penalty shootout win was also streamed 7.1m times on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport Online.

ITV, who also broadcast the Qatar final, saw a peak of 4.4m with a TV audience share of 17.8%.

BBC TV coverage had a total reach of 38.8m throughout the duration of the World Cup.

In addition, the tournament was streamed a record-breaking 104.7m times on BBC iPlayer and Sport Online.

So, we’re many of you able to resist not watching this shining example of global morality?

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a sporting event that made me feel so conflicted and disgusted.

Are we allowed to to the whataboutism thing yet?

Didn't watch the Beijing Olympics? or the last World Cup? Or actually pretty much nearly every sporting event that's been held, I take it you're not gonna tune into the next World Cup either.

So, we’re many of you able to resist not watching this shining example of global morality?

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a sporting event that made me feel so conflicted and disgusted.

I never tried to resist. It’s the World Cup and I was always going to watch & enjoy it. I feel no guilt whatsoever for not allowing politics to corrupt my enjoyment of football which is one of life’s few pleasures. I have no control over where it is held.

It was brilliant. Football in its purest form. The only time I thought of politics is when people felt the need to bring it up.

I never tried to resist. It’s the World Cup and I was always going to watch & enjoy it. I feel no guilt whatsoever for not allowing politics to corrupt my enjoyment of football which is one of life’s few pleasures. I have no control over where it is held.

It was brilliant. Football in its purest form. The only time I thought of politics is when people felt the need to bring it up.
Even if we reacted differently to this World Cup, I think that in the main we are very close.

to corrupt my enjoyment of football which is one of life’s few pleasures.

This is the crux for many. Football is life.

If football is one of the few things in life you care about why give it up for a few people who died who you never met? They are still dead when all is said and done.

The world is corrupt. Doesn’t matter if football is as well.

It’s a very nice simplistic way to be. And I know once upon a time I might have felt the same way.

Probably just getting old so give a shit more about things I can’t actually change. Nice to try though.

Back
Top Bottom