Will you be watching the World Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will you be watching the World Cup

• Total voters
Are we allowed to to the whataboutism thing yet?

Didn't watch the Beijing Olympics? or the last World Cup? Or actually pretty much nearly every sporting event that's been held, I take it you're not gonna tune into the next World Cup either.
Why do people need to justify, to themselves, watching this world cup ?

It was a personal decision on whether to watch or not.

It's done, over, finished, move on.

Why do people need to justify, to themselves, watching this world cup ?

It was a personal decision on whether to watch or not.

It's done, over, finished, move on.

You don't need to justify yourself, I just want to know if those who didnt watch it plan to keep the same energy for future events or have kept the same energy in the past.

If you haven't/won't ask yourself why you abandoned this World Cup and what's the difference.

You were very keen to shut the whataboutism thing down before it started which is cool, now that it's over we surely can restart the debate again seeing as it was a hot topic before?

I just find the energy people had for this World Cup uber weird (not pointing the finger at you) the virtue signalling was off the charts and a lot of hypocrites have exposed themselves and I wonder why...again not saying this is you but I think it's fair if the debate carries on.

You don't need to justify yourself, I just want to know if those who didnt watch it plan to keep the same energy for future events or have kept the same energy in the past.

If you haven't/won't ask yourself why you abandoned this World Cup and what's the difference.

You were very keen to shut the whataboutism thing down before it started which is cool, now that it's over we surely can restart the debate again seeing as it was a hot topic before?

I just find the energy people had for this World Cup uber weird (not pointing the finger at you) the virtue signalling was off the charts and a lot of hypocrites have exposed themselves and I wonder why...again not saying this is you but I think it's fair if the debate carries on.

For the record, I did previously watch sporting events in other countries (Russian WC, Malaysian GP for example) but I won't in the future.
This is my personal choice.

If somebody wants to watch these events then they are perfectly entitled to and I won't criticise them.

In this very thread, I have "liked" posts from those who stated that they would be watching, such as this one;

Yes, as much as I can.

Have taken the Monday (England's first game at 1pm) as a day off.

The ones I have questioned are those who use whataboutism, because they don't really care about human rights abuses in any country.
They are just using it as a way to justify their watching, and avoid the issues raised.
Maybe some of them even agree that homosexuality, for example, is "wrong", who knows.

The excuse of "It's ok to watch a world cup in a country where homosexuality is illegal, women have few rights, migraint slaves died in their hundreds, because they have child labour in country X" is a false one.

And now I'm done with the subject.

For the record, I did previously watch sporting events in other countries (Russian WC, Malaysian GP for example) but I won't in the future.
This is my personal choice.

If somebody wants to watch these events then they are perfectly entitled to and I won't criticise them.

In this very thread, I have "liked" posts from those who stated that they would be watching, such as this one;

The ones I have questioned are those who use whataboutism, because they don't really care about human rights abuses in any country.
They are just using it as a way to justify their watching, and avoid the issues raised.
Maybe some of them even agree that homosexuality, for example, is "wrong", who knows.

The excuse of "It's ok to watch a world cup in a country where homosexuality is illegal, women have few rights, migraint slaves died in their hundreds, because they have child labour in country X" is a false one.

And now I'm done with the subject.

Yeah fair play to you in that case but I wanted to know if DJ Check Complete DJ Check Complete or anyone else which boycotted this WC was going to do for future events...

I think you can live in a world in which you think Qatar's laws are wrong and still watch it because you enjoy football. TBH once the football kicked off I didn't actually care for their laws and I don't see why that should affect my viewing pleasure but that's just me.

Yeah fair play to you in that case but I wanted to know if DJ Check Complete DJ Check Complete or anyone else which boycotted this WC was going to do for future events...

I think you can live in a world in which you think Qatar's laws are wrong and still watch it because you enjoy football. TBH once the football kicked off I didn't actually care for their laws and I don't see why that should affect my viewing pleasure but that's just me.
As I said it's a personal choice and I'm certainly not going to criticise anyone for watching and enjoying it.

I didn't watch, and I have to admit it was a struggle at times especially when it came to the final.

Delighted for Messi.

Sorry, I missed your original question. I watched about a game and a half at this tournament. Plus most highlights as the games were in the background at work. It was impossible to avoid, I was not boycotting but I was certainly conflicted. It ruined it for me.

Will I watch future sporting events in countries with tarnished human rights records, most likely. It’s a hypocritical stance, but it’s also a reality living in the first world.

This tournament is a bit of an outlier as the blatant corruption wasn’t just denials and allegations, it was proven, public and at an immense scale. Qatar flashed their cash and instead of FIFA doing the right thing and retroactively disqualifying Qatar, they spat in everyone’s face.

Sorry, I missed your original question. I watched about a game and a half at this tournament. Plus most highlights as the games were in the background at work. It was impossible to avoid, I was not boycotting but I was certainly conflicted. It ruined it for me.

Will I watch future sporting events in countries with tarnished human rights records, most likely. It’s a hypocritical stance, but it’s also a reality living in the first world.

This tournament is a bit of an outlier as the blatant corruption wasn’t just denials and allegations, it was proven, public and at an immense scale. Qatar flashed their cash and instead of FIFA doing the right thing and retroactively disqualifying Qatar, they spat in everyone’s face.

Fairs although you should watch the WC doc on Netflix, this isn't the first time FIFA have taken a bribe from a country trying to secure a WC

Back
Top Bottom