Women euro championship 2022

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

e552c9dd5762b04abd9181cd39c00e84.png

wow - we must have watched different games

I thought the football was poor, they could barely string passes together, and it was a petulant and spiteful game.

Agree about the two goals, both well taken, the Germans played football for theirs and our first was a Wimbledon special.

They are Englands representatives so I watched and supported them, but the quality was low in footballing terms and their fitness levels exposed their shortfalls even more.

But - Rome wasn't built in a day, and the women's game is playing catch up in all respects with the men's, so hopefully this will boost interest at the grass roots and investment in the development side of the top players.
We didn't watch different games, you appear to have read my post incorrectly. My comment on the quality was in reference to SOME of the games throughout the tournament. In the majority of England games our girls played some highly technical Football with good movement and quality passing. The French did the same, as did the Germans and the Spanish.

The final was definitely a niggly affair, which I effectively stated in my first paragraph, with the Germans preferring to kick players rather than the ball, but more often than not, teams play finals to negate the strength of the opposition rather than play to their own strengths. This is far more prevalent in men's Football than Women's as well.

You seem to have an issue with me posting anything complimentary about the Women's game, as you made an issue of digging me out when I put the Lionesses thread up. Why?

Absolutely nothing wrong with yesterday's game.

It was niggly and aggressive, sure (which was entertaining in itself)...it was England v Germany in a final...what the fuck do people expect.

As for quality, there was plenty of it. PLENTY.

The women's game has come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years, and long may it continue.

Looking forward to watching more of the WSL this season.

Just got tickets to see Wales women vs Slovenia in their world cup qualifier at the Cardiff city stadium in early September - £8. Should be good.

Our new signing, Angharad James, should be playing in it.

wow - we must have watched different games

I thought the football was poor, they could barely string passes together, and it was a petulant and spiteful game.

Agree about the two goals, both well taken, the Germans played football for theirs and our first was a Wimbledon special.

They are Englands representatives so I watched and supported them, but the quality was low in footballing terms and their fitness levels exposed their shortfalls even more.

But - Rome wasn't built in a day, and the women's game is playing catch up in all respects with the men's, so hopefully this will boost interest at the grass roots and investment in the development side of the top players.
'Wimbledon Special' for our first goal?

No, sorry Mick, you watched a different game to the rest of us. It was a superb through ball and a world class lob of the keeper.

It was niggly and aggressive, sure (which was entertaining in itself)...it was England v Germany in a final...what the fuck do people expect.

The women's game has come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years, and long may it continue.

Just got tickets to see Wales women vs Slovenia in their world cup qualifier at the Cardiff city stadium in early September - £8. Should be good.

Our new signing, Angharad James, should be playing in it.
100%, some great quality on show at times. Case in point, this assist… IMHO Walsh was robbed of the Player of the Tournament 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

What a great first goal. Lovely inch perfect pass, timed just right, and what a great chipped finish. So easy to mess up those half-volleys and end up looking a complete plank.

Deserved to be the winner

German goal pretty classy too

It's been great. The quality at the top of the women's game is easily on par with the general men's game from around the 1990 - apart from goalkeeping, but that's simply a matter of physical differences.

Route 1 was what I meant - good pass and well taken goal, no doubts or arguments
but they had to do that as they were largely incapable of playing through them, as their passing was so wayward
Route 1?

Kane played a similar ball through to Son for a cracking goal and everyone was waxing eloquent about the vision and quality of the Football, pundits included.

That was a million miles away from route 1, which is effectively lump it forward to a big lump centre forward and hope for a knock down to follow up on.

That pass, and a pass is exactly what it was, would grace any game of Football, be it men's or women's.

Route 1?

Kane played a similar ball through to Son for a cracking goal and everyone was waxing eloquent about the vision and quality of the Football, pundits included.

That was a million miles away from route 1, which is effectively lump it forward to a big lump centre forward and hope for a knock down to follow up on.

That pass, and a pass is exactly what it was, would grace any game of Football, be it men's or women's.

Reminded me of Eriksen tbh.

It's been great. The quality at the top of the women's game is easily on par with the general men's game from around the 1990 - apart from goalkeeping, but that's simply a matter of physical differences.
Not sure what you mean by the general men's game, but I think this is going too far.

In 1990 an OK team in what was then the Championship like Millwall had Sheringham, Kenny Cunningham, Kevin O'Callaghan, Alex Rae ... that team would massacre the Lionesses.

I don't think comparing the men and women gets us anywhere, the women's game is a good product on its own terms.

Route 1 was what I meant - good pass and well taken goal, no doubts or arguments
but they had to do that as they were largely incapable of playing through them, as their passing was so wayward

Huh? She spotted a great run and played a brilliant pass. It wasn't a hopeful lump up the pitch for a big centre forward to nod down.

Odd take. Especially as Ionman34 Ionman34 rightly says, we all love it when Kane plays similar passes. I thought the overall standard of the passing was off from both sides, but again this was likely due to the cup final factor with a massive crowd, and the fact both teams were very physical & pressing well.

Route 1?

yes route 1
Where a central defender bypasses all of their teams midfielders and sticks a pass down the middle for a forward to chase (what that forward does is immaterial)

which is what they did.

And if you read my post, I said it was a good pass and a well taken goal

and of all of the players mentioned who can/could knock out defence splitting passes - not one was a central defender bypassing their midfield.

England had to do that because their midfielders made little impression on the German team set up.

I hadn't realised that I had to explain it all in such detail.

If you guys think it was a great game of football, then I'm happy for you. I am happy about the result, but still think there is a lot to do, to get any kind of parity and acceptance with the men's game.

Huh? She spotted a great run and played a brilliant pass. It wasn't a hopeful lump up the pitch for a big centre forward to nod down.

Odd take. Especially as Ionman34 Ionman34 rightly says, we all love it when Kane plays similar passes. I thought the overall standard of the passing was off from both sides, but again this was likely due to the cup final factor with a massive crowd, and the fact both teams were very physical & pressing well.
not you as well

Back
Top Bottom