Woolwich @ Wembley - 2nd March - 1230KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hope VAR never comes in.
There are ambiguities that even a camera can’t solve. Was he off side? We cants say for certain? Was that penalty? From one angle yes, other angles no. Was that a sending off? From one angle, yes. It’s bullshit

It seems that it was offside but I have Mate who is a geek when it comes to rules and he reckons if Kane was going to the ball and was fouled it's not offside a pen would be the right decision.. Not sure how true but he does know his shit.

It seems that it was offside but I have Mate who is a geek when it comes to rules and he reckons if Kane was going to the ball and was fouled it's not offside a pen would be the right decision.. Not sure how true but he does know his shit.
Saw that on twitter. Not sure if that's correct because there is a couple of rules explaining what could happen in that situation.

Total crap, we ran them ragged and their pen was a dive

And the constant whingeing over the quality of officials is rudiculous.

Ours wasn't a penalty. Neither was theirs. So overall even.

Torreira sent off. You could argue that Rose should have been sent off for his challenge on Leno.

The giveaway is that their fans whine about it, and so do we. In my book they had an OK game. No obvious howlers.

Now we're even questioning the offside rule!

Every week. The officials are against us.

Get a grip. We're not Liverpool

Back from the game a little while ago. I think the team tried hard at times, but we quite clearly need some rebuilding as the spine of our squad is either ageing, has left or seems perma-injured. IMHO a quality CM is a must. Winks has his detractors but we missed his tidy passing and ability to turn the ball over today. Dele is a big miss, not having him in the team shows how much his clever movement aids our all-round play; in particular, in how it gets the best out of Kane.

Eriksen is a class act and the jewel in the crown but hasn't played well for some time. His head has either been turned or he's just in poor form, perhaps a mixture of both.

Kane wasn't at his best but still scored (his penalties are never in doubt!) and worked hard. The ref missed many fouls on him when being held by their defenders.

None of our full backs are up to it in truth, unless Rose can return to his previous levels of consistency. Trippier was very poor today, Iwobi gave him a torrid time.

Sissoko played very well and has transformed himself this season. Unlucky not to score.

The defence was generally quite poor but not helped by a non-existent midfield which invited pressure on to them constantly. Big Dav has all the tools and talent to be a top-class CB but he needs to learn when to commit and when not to. Jan and Toby were much more sound.

Hugo was good - I'm always nervous when he has the ball at his feet but he did well with a save in the first half and the penalty of course.

We're committing way too many individual errors at the moment to be competitive with the very best, but another gripe I have is the team doesn't really seem set up to take the oppo's strengths and weaknesses into account much of the time of late (Dortmund at home the exception).

Ref. might have been right with the big calls for the most part, but overall I thought he was pretty shocking - way too many cards. Personally, I thought their penalty was a 50/50 - pretty soft, but it always worries me when a defender raises their hands in the box and goes for a pushing motion.

The atmosphere was pretty lively, it was not a happy place at 0-1. The Wembley stewards - again - let a few rival fans in to the Spurs end. One was clearly wearing an Woolwich gilet - I would never condone a fight at a football match but it's stupid, just asking for trouble.

I'll stop there - relieved we didn't lose the match tbh, though we had loads of the ball we didn't do much with it. Up the Spurs - need a big performance at Dortmund to get morale back.

Dele is perfect for what Poch wants.

That role maybe.... But we kinda need his skills set elsewhere too.

Also, still think we need better WBs for it to really work.

As a system, we've barely seen it click.... Seems crazy to cling to it when we don't have the necessary personell (be that unfit or simply not in the ranks).

To read the BBC report, you'd think we deserved to lose 8-0 and as such take a 6 point penalty and be fighting for Europa League places tonight ...

Since when did gaining points whilst not playing well become a bad thing...?

I thought it was the hallmark of CHAMPIONS (according to the Media)

Well it is when Liverpool, Man City/Utd do it...

Yet when WE do it, it's undeserved, and a sign we're faltering and Poch should leave....

Well, which THE FUCK is it to be FUCKERS??

As soon as Eriksen (I think) struck the ball, Kane was offside. He was "involved in active play" (going for the ball).

What then happened is immaterial as the first offence (offside) takes precedence. The officials let it go and he was brought down and the penalty was given. However he was still offside.

We were very lucky.

We're now re-interpreting the offside rule to our own benefit?

Why did we not play Son on the left to run at their RB. That is where he is dangerous, not standing in the middle marked by a bigger defender and the ball played in the air to him.

I have only dipped into the last few pages of this thread, on the train home. I honestly didn't think it was that bad a performance, and an improvement on the last two games. Plus points for me - Sissoko played really well (my MOTM); Victor had a more-than-decent game, considering he hasn't played much for nearly two seasons; Eriksen was more involved than he has been recently (and I have been a harsh critic of his).
I never felt that they had the upper hand and if it hadn't been for that double-save from their keeper, we would have been singing from a different hymn sheet.
Suppose we had a bit of luck when they didn't convert the penalty, but don't think it was a penalty in the first place, so justice was done in the end.
Referee was abysmal again, some of the fouls he let go were shocking.

My Mrs admits she knows nothing about football, she dont like it, she cares not one jot about football or footballers... BUT she has noticed a media bias against Spurs.
Her words- Fucking hell, are they gonna blame Spurs for invading Poland and starting the second world war too, they haven't got a nice word to say about them.

Total crap, we ran them ragged and their pen was a dive

Presumably you'll quote posession stats to back this up? We had massive chunks of possess where we passed it aimlessly from side to side. Zero threat

In the first half the exact opposite was true, they ran us ragged.

In the second half it was less one-sided, but they still outplayed us. We had the ignominy of watching Rose impersonate a CM.

I agree theirs was not a penalty. Neither was ours.

Lloris saved us. We were very fortunate.

Back
Top Bottom