Woolwich @ Wembley - 2nd March - 1230KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I find it astonishing people pinpoint a lack of 'passion' as the reason we didn't win yesterday, and not the lack of investment for TWO transfer windows.

Let's be honest, we've become a bit predictable because of the lack of interest in building a better squad. To dare is to do and all that. I want to see more intelligence. Let's start talking about craft and intelligence and not running around - any player can do that.

Still disappointed we didn’t smash then in the first half when we had 80% possession and they were playing like Burnley. Meh

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday - im off to the wak the dogs on the beach, then some gym and an early afternoon braai - 24C and calm.

There's an old saying. Why let everyone think you're an idiot. Open your mouth and prove it.

Your 'views' (rather like mine) are no more, or less, valid than anyone else on this forum.

"Run ragged" indeed.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Your quotes are as accurate as your appraisal of footballing matters.

Poch needs backing in the summer or he should maybe start thinking about his own future if he has self respect. He’s done great things with Spurs but unless he gets the money to push for titles he’ll start earning a reputation as a bottler. The man is the best manager in the world right now in my eyes. Poch has hinted it himself that he needs backing.

With Spurs we are so used to hearing about “the future” but thats just kicking the can down the road at this point. We’re fucking peaking. I can feel it. How long is Kane going to stay? Alli? Eriksen? We’re still in a strong position. We need to fucking capatilise at some point otherwise the oppurtunity will come and go. It will be such a waste to see some of the best talent in the world come to nothing because we were too worried about profit then winning something.

I just know how the club operates. One season we sell and buy like crazy on a dozen players, wait a few years in hope some of them become gems (which they do) then we bleed them dry and get as much out of those players without strengthening around them, then when things start to go sour and the player wants to leave after they realise they arent getting anywhere at spurs, we sell them for huge money and then repeat the mass signing process and start the cycle again.. Its such a dogmatic transfer policy. Just strengthen as and when needed for fuck sake.
How do you bleed someone on 150-200 thousand pounds a week dry, as a matter of interest?
Most of them would struggle to get a job in B&Q if they couldn't kick a football

Had some gooner twats in our section today.

2 celebrated their goal then got thrown out when we made it very clear they were not welcome.

Then the 3 guys in front didn’t celebrate our goal at all.

Which seemed a bit odd to me at an NLD.

So just started screaming yids and yeesssss while grabbing into their shoulders and generally going mental.

They all left immediately......
:dembelelol::dembelelol::dembelelol:
I was in 210 and we had some dick of a kid yelling his tits off when they scored then his dad started acting like Mike Tyson over it. There seemed to be a ruck going on in 211 as well

If you don't kick the ball you're not offside, even if you were in an offside position when the ball was passed.

What about if the ball's in the air?

Shearer on MOTD was unequivocal, "it was offside". (Make of that what you will, it's possible that he doesn't understand the new law either)

After the change in the law, I never knew there was so much interpretation. The old law was black and white.

Oh well, back to the rule book to see if I can understand it.

Addition: Having read the law a hundred times times it mentions the foul being BEFORE the offside offence. Yesterday, the foul was AFTER the offside offence. I just don't understand. Can someone explain it using as few words as possible (with not more than 3 syllables in each!)

Last edited:
What about if the ball's in the air?

Shearer on MOTD was unequivocal, "it was offside". (Make of that what you will, it's possible that he doesn't understand the new law either)

After the change in the law, I never knew there was so much interpretation. The old law was black and white.

Oh well, back to the rule book to see if I can understand it.

Addition: Having read the law a hundred times times it mentions the foul being BEFORE the offside offence. Yesterday, the foul was AFTER the offside offence. I just don't understand. Can someone explain it using as few words as possible (with not more than 3 syllables in each!)
You know those stupid situations when a player is obviously offside but isn't flagged until he makes a move towards the ball...well, if he's fouled before the flag goes up that actually counts as a penalty...

Offside is judged as your position at the point the pass is made

Kane was in an offside position

BUT

It is not an offence to be in an offside position

You are not offending offside until you touch the ball*

The ball was several yards away still when he was fouled

He was fouled before he had a chance to play the ball

Therefore he was fouled before he had a chance to commit an offside offence

Therefore the foul happened before any potential offside offence

That the foul came in after he was in an offside position is irrelevant because being in an offside position is not an offence even if you are running towards the ball

This is clearly clarified in the rules

*touch, or try to touch - the latter basically covering "swing and a miss", not running towards the ball

You know those stupid situations when a player is obviously offside but isn't flagged until he makes a move towards the ball...well, if he's fouled before the flag goes up that actually counts as a penalty...

So the speed of the assistant referee's flag decides whether it's a penalty or not?

A couple of questions:

If Kane had scored directly from Eriksen's free kick would it have stood?
With VAR next season, will the defensive coaches be saying "if the opposition is offside, do not challenge them in the area - including the keeper (for fear of giving a penalty away). VAR will always award the offside.

I realise there's not much appetite to discuss the offside as we were very fortunate yesterday. Can anyone shed some light? It's important to understand the law as it will operate against us at some point in the future.

I find it astonishing people pinpoint a lack of 'passion' as the reason we didn't win yesterday, and not the lack of investment for TWO transfer windows.

Let's be honest, we've become a bit predictable because of the lack of interest in building a better squad. To dare is to do and all that. I want to see more intelligence. Let's start talking about craft and intelligence and not running around - any player can do that.
We can only hope that the club think the same because we looked flat and devoid of any ideas not just yesterday but lately.

I guess the extreme way to look at it is - if a player is in an offside position and a player run up to him and elbowed him in the face is it a foul? Yes of course it is so the same applies, Kane was in an offside position but hadn’t touched the ball so it’s a foul..
I’m going to keep it to myself though as watching the Twats cry like little girls is hilarious.

Offside is judged as your position at the point the pass is made

Kane was in an offside position

BUT

It is not an offence to be in an offside position

You are not offending offside until you touch the ball*

The ball was several yards away still when he was fouled

He was fouled before he had a chance to play the ball

Therefore he was fouled before he had a chance to commit an offside offence

Therefore the foul happened before any potential offside offence

That the foul came in after he was in an offside position is irrelevant because being in an offside position is not an offence even if you are running towards the ball

This is clearly clarified in the rules

*touch, or try to touch - the latter basically covering "swing and a miss", not running towards the ball

Well that's a little clearer!

What if the ball's in the air - you can't be offside? How do you swing and miss at a ball 3m in the air?

It's a bit difficult to judge perspective from this shot, but I'd say the ball was no more than 5m from Kane when he was brought down
oeTZBDj.jpg

If Kane had scored directly from Eriksen's cross would it have stood? + the other question in my earlier post re defensive coaches.

So the speed of the assistant referee's flag decides whether it's a penalty or not?
No, the timing of the flag is irrelevant; what Arty means is there isn't an offence (so the flag doesn't go up) until the attacker tries to touch the ball.

If Kane had scored directly from Eriksen's free kick would it have stood?
No, he would have touched the ball and so become offside.

With VAR next season, will the defensive coaches be saying "if the opposition is offside, do not challenge them in the area - including the keeper (for fear of giving a penalty away).
I suspect that coaches should tell defenders not to foul attackers in the box regardless of whether they think they're offside or not.

not to foul attackers

Agreed. But now the instruction should be "don't challenge or touch them at all" (including the keeper) - for fear of the ref. giving a penalty. If the attacker is offside, just stand still and let VAR award the offside.

What if the ball is in the air?

Thanks for these series of posts it's becoming clearer. It was much simpler under the old rule!

Last edited:
No, the timing of the flag is irrelevant; what Arty means is there isn't an offence (so the flag doesn't go up) until the attacker tries to touch the ball.

No, he would have touched the ball and so become offside.

I suspect that coaches should tell defenders not to foul attackers in the box regardless of whether they think they're offside or not.
It's a perfect illustration of how ridiculous the new offside rules are...this is basically a really strange loophole.

Back
Top Bottom