World class facilities FC vs Vitesse 4th November

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree with Glenn after the game here, that maybe 1 of the front 3 comes out of the team (Moura, let's face it) and then we have another midfielder in (Ndombele, it has to be).

We need to buy a midfielder who can defend and pass though, to get some control and composure and good decision making from the deeper position. Get that player and a good, assured centre-half and we will look ten times better.
I agree with this, a 3,5,2 would be interesting, I don’t entirely think PEH is better than Winks tbh
I don’t mind a Winks Tanguy Skipp midfield core, I think the three or skipp,PEH and winks needs at least 1 upgrade if not 2 to midfielders that can actually play, I don’t mind all three being replaced, I don’t want to be fooled that Skipp is great, but he can be coached into a monster and I am here for it.
With a new coach that can coach, just maybe Winks can get his acts together, but I don’t even want him to.
PEH hard man stance and his ability to blame anyone else on the team for his error had me fooled, he really wasn’t all that, just a “hardworking” man without footballing ability. If Sissoko wasn’t French

I think Lucas is ok as a squad player. But if we are going to play 2 upfront and 3 in centre midfield (as per Glenn's suggestion) then I think you have to pick Son and Kane as your strike pairing.

For me, Moura would be best to provide energy off the bench and kill teams who are chasing the game against us.
I really would like to see us play son and moura upfront instead of Kane, I know it would take a lot for that to happen.
Perhaps he sees red?

Match was such a good ding dong I didn't bother coming on here. Not sure where the "one shot in the 2nd half" stat comes from but I'm sure I recall more. Passes were actually going up and down the pitch which was far more important to me than silly stats. Players were hunting the ball down and until it went to 10 v 11, we only conceded 2 freak goals from not a lot of chances.

Having had a skim through I've seen quite a few comments that confuse me, none more so than praise for Winks.

A) What exactly did he do? I barely noticed he was on the pitch.
B) He came on in the 73rd minute. 7 minutes later it was 10 v 10, 4 minutes after that it was 10 v 9. He's not gonna play in games like that very often. Even 10 v 10 is a bit easier on a big pitch than 11 v 11, let alone 10 v 9

Anyone else getting concerned Romero could ultimately be a liability? We knew he got a lot of bookings last season and this is clearly happening again this season. And I suspect Serie A refs are more lenient on defenders than PL refs.

Davies is not a PL player. Don't tell me he is a Wales International as half their squad is lower league.

Having had to listen to Internet fans rave about Skipp for probably 2 years, I still can't see it. I can't see him being moved on any time soon because he's home grown but he's a prime example of a player we could probably get decent money for from a bottom half Premier league club at some point.

I think the 3 Italian fitness coaches are gonna have their work cut out. I reckon a lot of our problems yesterday were because we blew ourselves out after 30 minutes. Those first 30 minutes reminded me of the best days of Poch.

MiddxSpur , you've disagreed with my post. Why?
Happy to explain. It’s the slagging off of Kane. He’s out of form but for years he has been brilliant for us. I am in the group of fans that remember that and am willing to cut him some slack. He will come good again. I guess you are in the group of people who comment on the club & think he’s a twat. I got home after the game read your post and disagreed.

Apparently Son was racially abused by some of the Vitesse fans.

So all that we were missing was Dier storming the stands again to complete the crazy game bingo card.

I actually love Lucas Moura. When people are unkind to him it upsets me. He gives everything, every game. I wish we could bottle his enthusiam and inject it into certain other squad members. I think maybe he was taken off to protect him for Sunday, as were the others who were substituted. I didn't quite get the substitutions at the time, but on reflection I see what he was doing.

On the other hand, Harry Kane was just a twat and a useless waste of space for most of the game.
My disagree is for the Kane thing. He wasn't good tonight, though he did essentially score the winning goal. But a twat? Nah. He was actually really up for it. Go rewatch him make a flat-out 30 yard sprint to try to stop a lost cause ball going out into touch in the middle of the pitch. He made quite a few hard and unsexy runs to marginally benefit the team tonight.

As far as I can tell, the reality is that he's just in a rough patch that happened to come at a terrible time for him and his public relations. You think intentionally playing like a cunt is going to get him the transfer he wants? You don't think his natural hypercompetitive streak and renowned professionalism means he wants to win every game regardless? The idea that he's playing badly on purpose is just silly to me, especially when I watch him closely every game and still see him putting effort in -- just not to the usual effect. But, of course, because of the timing, everyone picks the harsher, juicier, conspiratorial explanation that he's on strike or whatever, rather than the more mundane and obvious explanation that he's simply in a rut. Which, after so many years at such a high level, is not unreasonable at all, even if the timing is incredibly unfortunate. (I wouldn't be surprised if the Euro final broke him far more than he's publicly let on, and that the two things are connected.)

I predicted months before all of this happened that regardless of what Spurs fans said at the time, they'd end up hating Kane if he stayed, just by picking up on every single thing he does and interpreting it through the most negative lens possible. Of course, I didn't see him struggling quite so badly this season, but I did also predict that it would be very hard for him, no matter how professional he is and how much he wants to play well for Spurs. So much of motivation is subconscious: you can only will yourself to want something to a certain point. The analogy I used was of those of us who don't like our jobs and would rather do something else: no matter what benefits they offer you and no matter how much you try to gee yourself up, you'll never be able to perform at the same level as you would if you actually wanted to be there. Real motivation has to arise organically. You can fake it - and that's the most people can really ask of Kane - but, as I've hopefully illustrated, that only works to a degree. And personally, from what I've seen of his actions on the pitch, body language, facial expressions etc., I think Kane is attempting to do that -- and that he genuinely still cares what happens at Spurs.

He can absolutely be blamed for failing - and he will be, probably more so than he deserves - but I don't believe that it's through a conscious lack of trying.

Last edited:
I find that hard to believe from the Dutch
E-ODj7wXoAUSlKG

Is that so? Well, that was Feyenoord fans in September in Moscow. But yeah, they are known as far right-wingers. They would have a field day against us with their antisemitism.

Don't know much about Vitesses organised fans though.

Apparently Son was racially abused by some of the Vitesse fans.

So all that we were missing was Dier storming the stands again to complete the crazy game bingo card.
There was a few of them abusing some local lads at Seven Sisters, let's just say the locals didn't react well and the Vitesse fans may have a few bruises this morning.

I actually love Lucas Moura. When people are unkind to him it upsets me. He gives everything, every game. I wish we could bottle his enthusiam and inject it into certain other squad members. I think maybe he was taken off to protect him for Sunday, as were the others who were substituted. I didn't quite get the substitutions at the time, but on reflection I see what he was doing.

On the other hand, Harry Kane was just a twat and a useless waste of space for most of the game.
I am totally in love with him too. He is a complete team man. Sat on the subs bench for the champions League final while big bollocks Kane pushed his way back in. Lucas got us there and then Kane did naff all in the final. There are so many idiots on this forum who just pick up on his sometimes poor distribution. They completely miss his overall impact.

I think his ore match team talk consisted of "show me what you can do" .... so they did!

We have the ability to go into a 3 goal lead.... we ALSO have the ability to concede 2 and make life difficult...

THAT'S what Conte wanted to see.... so that he knows what he's dealing with.
Which he will!

Back
Top Bottom