World cup 2022 scouting

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure. Kane has played so much football and has had so many bad injuries that i think it takes its toll. He's still quality but i dont think he's as good as he was 2014 to 2019. Guesswork but i reckon perhaps 2 more seasons at the absolute top level.
Where does this myth that Kane’s had bad injuries come from? He’s literally had a couple of twisted ankles and done his hamstring once. Compare that to someone like Shearer who had two ACLs, or Owen who had multiple hamstring tears until they resembled string cheese. Kane is meticulous in his diet and preparation these days and I’d be surprised if he’s not playing at a similar level to Benzema or Lewindowski in his mid-30s.

........The early pages.

:mourhandlaugh:

Where does this myth that Kane’s had bad injuries come from? He’s literally had a couple of twisted ankles and done his hamstring once. Compare that to someone like Shearer who had two ACLs, or Owen who had multiple hamstring tears until they resembled string cheese. Kane is meticulous in his diet and preparation these days and I’d be surprised if he’s not playing at a similar level to Benzema or Lewindowski in his mid-30s.
These are the injuries 20 days or over. Doesnt look like a myth to me. I never suggested he wasnt the ultimate professional in the way he looks after himself. 16/17 - ankle injury, missed 49 days and ankle injury missed 24 days 17/18 ankle injury missed 20 days 18/19 torn ankle ligament 40 days, 18/19 ligament 51 days, 19/20 thigh muscle rupture 67 days

He was always an awful centre midfielder other than the odd flash. Literally no left foot and didn’t have that 360 awareness you need in that position. Potentially as a forward running 8 in a 3 man midfield but even then I was never comfortable with him in the middle third. He was an instinctive hard running attacking player IMO
Agreed too..Dele was a false 9 and at his best he was world-class. The decline is tragic

When you consider the goals he scored, it's almost certainly right place at the right time. I can't remember a single game during Deles young peak where he ran a game or bossed a game. And that's quite sad.

Not sure what Sancho has to do with anything. Or are we just comparing random players who've played in both leagues?

Right place, right time is essentially what a footballer is. That is literally the main skill they need!!!! Being able to read a game and knowing where the ball will be.

Regarding Sancho; the discussion was started around Bellingham and how he looks world class. Point is, so did Sancho in Bundesliga. Prem is a big step up.

Regarding Sancho; the discussion was started around Bellingham and how he looks world class. Point is, so did Sancho in Bundesliga. Prem is a big step up.
Sancho being a flop has more to do with his position combined with the demands of the PL vs his attributes. He doesn't get the space nor does he have the pace to beat PL defenders. Gil has a better ceiling in PL compared to Sancho if Conte would finally start trusting him.

Bellingham on the other hand shows he has everything needed to be a generational talent in the midfield in PL. Pretty much the "Haaland of the midfield", there is never a doubt that he can't be a success.

Bellingham on the other hand shows he has everything needed to be a generational talent in the midfield in PL. Pretty much the "Haaland of the midfield", there is never a doubt that he can't be a success.

He has? Because he played well against Iran, Senegal, and Wales ?

Let's see how he does against France.

Right place, right time is essentially what a footballer is. That is literally the main skill they need!!!! Being able to read a game and knowing where the ball will be.

But that's ALL he had. He was also incredibly one footed and never bossed a game.

Bellingham is better at pretty much every single thing that makes a successful footballer. Besides being in the right place at the right time because he isn't an attacker.

Better on the ball, better first touch, better passer, stronger, more mobile and athletic, two footed, posifionally excellent. And an even bigger one, work ethic.

One is simply generational. The other isn't.

And to think Bellingham would flop because one player plays in a system that doesn't suit him, is preposterous. Because you're leaving out every other successful import from the
Bundesliga. Haaland, Son, de Bruyne etc.

He has? Because he played well against Iran, Senegal, and Wales ?

Let's see how he does against France.

I assume before the World Cup you hadn't watched a single minute of Bellingham?

Last edited:
I assume before the World Cup you hadn't watched a single minute of Bellingham?

Correct, I don't watch the Bundesliga. I'm sure he's good; but any club looking to spend 100+ on him is taking a risk.

If he stays at the same level; and doesn't get any better - is he a 100m+ player? Or is there an assumption that he will improve?

We have seen young players with 'huge potential' regress as they developed - Dele, Barkley, Walcott.

Correct, I don't watch the Bundesliga. I'm sure he's good; but any club looking to spend 100+ on him is taking a risk.

If he stays at the same level; and doesn't get any better - is he a 100m+ player? Or is there an assumption that he will improve?

We have seen young players with 'huge potential' regress as they developed - Dele, Barkley, Walcott.

You only have to watch Bellingham to realise he's better than any of the three mentioned though and has a much higher ceiling.

Doesn't matter if it's against Iran, Wales, Senegal or whatever. Watch the footballer. See what, he's good at. I saw Dele stink the joint up in France at Euro 2016. And he was a year older.

If you can see football beyond stats, that is. Even then, he has a hand in 12 goals in 22 games this season.

You can't laugh off other people for saying Kane only scores or performs against the lower clubs only to use that same brush for Bellingham when he's proven it against the very best in Europe. At 19.

You don't have some of the best teams in the world after you for 9 figures if you're not something special and still in your teens. It doesn't happen

You only have to watch Bellingham to realise he's better than any of the three mentioned though and has a much higher ceiling.

Doesn't matter if it's against Iran, Wales, Senegal or whatever. Watch the footballer. See what, he's good at. I saw Dele stink the joint up in France at Euro 2016. And he was a year older.

If you can see football beyond stats, that is. Even then, he has a hand in 12 goals in 22 games this season.

You can't laugh off other people for saying Kane only scores or performs against the lower clubs only to use that same brush for Bellingham when he's proven it against the very best in Europe. At 19.

You don't have some of the best teams in the world after you for 9 figures if you're not something special and still in your teens. It doesn't happen
Side note I 100% laugh at people who say Kane only scores or performs against the lower clubs because they are idiots He's scored and performed against big sides time and again. You are right about Bellingham though.

Interesting discussion on Bellingham. The one thing that both of you have overlooked though is his mindset. You only have to listen to him when interviewed to see that he has an old head on young shoulders.

He's articulate and comes across as having real intelligence. You don't get the standard tropes from him, he expresses a keen understanding of what is required not just of him, but for the whole team dynamic. He strikes me as one of those players that you could have a proper in depth discussion on the game with.

Combine that with the obvious talent, and that is what elevates him above his peers IMO. For example, I doubt that anyone would argue that Ross Barkley isn't a very talented player, but he's 90% air between the ears which, for me, is why he's never got beyond the level he reached. If he had similar intelligence to Bellingham he'd have been an England mainstay for me.

Sancho is like Barkley, all the talent in the World, brains of a rocking horse.

Interesting discussion on Bellingham. The one thing that both of you have overlooked though is his mindset. You only have to listen to him when interviewed to see that he has an old head on young shoulders.

He's articulate and comes across as having real intelligence. You don't get the standard tropes from him, he expresses a keen understanding of what is required not just of him, but for the whole team dynamic. He strikes me as one of those players that you could have a proper in depth discussion on the game with.

Combine that with the obvious talent, and that is what elevates him above his peers IMO. For example, I doubt that anyone would argue that Ross Barkley isn't a very talented player, but he's 90% air between the ears which, for me, is why he's never got beyond the level he reached. If he had similar intelligence to Bellingham he'd have been an England mainstay for me.

Sancho is like Barkley, all the talent in the World, brains of a rocking horse.

What he said about Henderson in that post game interview was pretty incredible to hear from a player that young. Intelligent & mature but also got the confidence to go in & back up a far more senior player publicly in the media and challenge people.

I really think that barring bad injuries/other intangibles he will be the best central midfielder on the planet.

What he said about Henderson in that post game interview was pretty incredible to hear from a player that young. Intelligent & mature but also got the confidence to go in & back up a far more senior player publicly in the media and challenge people.

I really think that barring bad injuries/other intangibles he will be the best central midfielder on the planet.
I wouldn't disagree, though there are a lot of young players out there who might just challenge that in the fullness of time.

Regardless, he'll most definitely be in the conversation as long as he maintains that elite mindset.

He'll have a lot of temptation already, with far more to come as he establishes himself further. If he's able to avoid those pitfalls then he'll have an awesome career to look forward to.

Didn't I read that his brother is meant to be even more talented than he is? I'd be interested to know what his mindset and intelligence is like. There's no guarantee that he'll be the same, as many siblings tend to be chalk and cheese where the Grey matter is concerned.

But just imagine if he has the same work ethic, similar intelligence, but is an even better baller!

I wouldn't disagree, though there are a lot of young players out there who might just challenge that in the fullness of time.

Regardless, he'll most definitely be in the conversation as long as he maintains that elite mindset.

He'll have a lot of temptation already, with far more to come as he establishes himself further. If he's able to avoid those pitfalls then he'll have an awesome career to look forward to.

Didn't I read that his brother is meant to be even more talented than he is? I'd be interested to know what his mindset and intelligence is like. There's no guarantee that he'll be the same, as many siblings tend to be chalk and cheese where the Grey matter is concerned.

But just imagine if he has the same work ethic, similar intelligence, but is an even better baller!

I'm always dubious about the 'the brother is even better!' stuff as it rarely turns out to be true. I remember it being said a lot about Hazard's brother.

There's so many facets (as you've mentioned) to becoming a successful pro and talent on the ball is just one of those, Bellingham has it all really.

I'm always dubious about the 'the brother is even better!' stuff as it rarely turns out to be true. I remember it being said a lot about Hazard's brother.

There's so many facets (as you've mentioned) to becoming a successful pro and talent on the ball is just one of those, Bellingham has it all really.

Sessengon's brother! :angryscouser:

Back
Top Bottom