Worst match you've ever been to?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can remember (mid 80s) on the back of a couple of hours sleep. Drove up to watch Coventry Vs Spurs on New Years day, 12.00 KO. It rain all day and the atmosphere was grey. The attendance was low, my pals and me were all hung over. We had pitch side coventry seats and could see FA and the score was 0-0.

Grimsby 1 - Spurs 0.

Scarred me for life. The drive, the place, the performance, the 89th minute winner, the drive home. Took the rest of the week off and turned off my phone. I'm still receiving counselling.

I can remember (mid 80s) on the back of a couple of hours sleep. Drove up to watch Coventry Vs Spurs on New Years day, 12.00 KO. It rain all day and the atmosphere was grey. The attendance was low, my pals and me were all hung over. We had pitch side coventry seats and could see FA and the score was 0-0.

Was that New Years Day 1990? I remember a nil nil at Highfield Road then. Terrible game, I was in away end with my Dad. Memorable for David Speedie going in late on Erik The Viking and Pat Van Den Hauwe sliding in too, punching Speedie a couple of times in the side of the head... Speedie just got up rubbing his head, was right in front of us.

Was that New Years Day 1990? I remember a nil nil at Highfield Road then. Terrible game, I was in away end with my Dad. Memorable for David Speedie going in late on Erik The Viking and Pat Van Den Hauwe sliding in too, punching Speedie a couple of times in the side of the head... Speedie just got up rubbing his head, was right in front of us.
Possibly, I really cant remember . It wasn't so much only the result, it was the whole day being miserable.

Losing 2-1 to Everton, at home, full house, subdue atmosphere - the Pleat years.
Our title challenge was over and they won D1.

Last edited:
Good thread. I could list so many and will probably now recall many more that I hoped had been erased from my mind......but I would say;

Losing 4-0 to Coventry away in the mid 90's and having to sit with Coventry supporting mates and endure a night of piss taking. My only saving grace was going down to the front of the stand and telling ruel fox to fuck off at half time, I think the cov fans knew I was not one of them at this point......

Coventry again, the 87 cup final

The two legged league cup semi final against Woolwich when clemance suddenly decided he could not goal keep anymore

Woolwich, Monday night and ian weight getting a late winner and giving it large to the shelf

West ham at home, losing 4-1, spam got the whole park lane and there was a few in the east upper, where I was sat, the fighting was out of order but about all we won that day

Port vale away in the FA cup, open terrace, pissed down and Robbie Elliot??? I think decided to put in a ronaldo like performance

Villa away on boxing day, murdered by Stan collymore

Like therapy this, there will be lots more.....

Anyway, it's probably 0-1 at the Lane versus Wigan a couple of years back. The atmosphere was nonexistent and afterwards I was so angry I nearly punched myself.

My first away NLD. Made the mistake of heading out that day wearing cream coloured jeans. The heavens opened and we got utterly drenched. Jeans destroyed. Looked like a walking joke...and, well, less said about the result the better. Suffice it to say that the journey home wasn't pleasant, especially being surrounded by gooners. I wouldn't say the game was the worst in terms of how we played, but it was my worst experience that has stuck in my mind.

Last edited:

My first away NLD away. Made the mistake of heading out that day wearing cream coloured jeans. The heavens opened and we got utterly drenched. Jeans destroyed. Looked like a walking joke...and, well, less said about the result the better. Suffice it to say that the journey home wasn't pleasant, especially being surrounded by gooners. I wouldn't say the game was the worst in terms of how we played, but it was my worst experience that has stuck in my mind.

That was my one and only NLD away. Hideous day. But there were so many dire away matches that season.

TL;DR cliff notes: Blatant whine from non-British dude.

As I’m from the other side of the ocean, I don’t have that many experiences to choose between. This one wasn’t a bad game as such, but a bit special and anti-climatic. November 2011. We were on a very good run, having fucked up Liverpool recently and winning the NLD. Now it was time for Villa at home.

I flew to London with a couple of mates the day before. I had only bought a plane ticket, as we were gonna stay with a friend to one of the guys. As we arrived at the airport, I was made aware that he lived in Woolwich. Great start! :pocheyes:

In the evening, we went to Camden for some reason, and one of the guys wanted to buy some smoke. The fella living in Woolwich said he knew where to buy something, and we stood by a bridge in Camden. A suspicious looking fella showed up, and one of the guys followed him, only to come back running with two guys chasing him. So we all went running for a couple of minutes. Cue fucked up evening.

Next day, we were going to the game. It was a late game, 9 pm IIRC. On our way to the Lane we ran into some no-good fellas on the street who threatened to stab us. Great.

Finally! At the Lane. Bale, King, Modric, a firing Adebayor.. What’s not to like? Villa were fucking atrocious. Adebayor scored 2 in the first half. Nothing happened in the second half. The athmosphere was dead that night, and it was a boring football game. Well, victory. Off we go.

We hadn’t eaten yet, so we found some Indian place up the street. We were the only guests.
Cue 5 guys with diarrhea in a small apartment in Woolwich. Back we go the next day.
Thanks London :pochbye:

Back
Top Bottom