Worst match you've ever been to?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably the 3 nil home defeat to West Ham under avb, that was pretty traumatic , if I remember correctly we would have gone top with a win and it's pretty much when things began to unravel for avb
Or the one nil home defeat to Woolwich when sherwood was in charge and having to listen to their lot sing , he wants us to win for 89 mins

Boxing day away to Portsmouth 2003.

Entry down a rat infested ally. Burgers so toxic that most were discarded virtually uneaten on the terraces. (hence the rats). Open air terrace with no roof, and of course it rained constantly. That fucking bell. We lost 2-0 the most miserable boxing day ever.

Horrible pure horrible.

Another Coventry away game on a cold Wednesday night in league cup.

Late 80s early 90s, can't be arsed to check.

2-0 up 2nd half absolutely coasting and the ref gave them a dubious pen probably because he felt sorry for them and they ended up winning 3-2!

We just collapsed.

Disgraceful performance and loads of us went and filled all one side of the ground!

Bedlam afterwards and missed train home!

:klinsmann:

TL;DR cliff notes: Blatant whine from non-British dude.

As I’m from the other side of the ocean, I don’t have that many experiences to choose between. This one wasn’t a bad game as such, but a bit special and anti-climatic. November 2011. We were on a very good run, having fucked up Liverpool recently and winning the NLD. Now it was time for Villa at home.

I flew to London with a couple of mates the day before. I had only bought a plane ticket, as we were gonna stay with a friend to one of the guys. As we arrived at the airport, I was made aware that he lived in Woolwich. Great start! :pocheyes:

In the evening, we went to Camden for some reason, and one of the guys wanted to buy some smoke. The fella living in Woolwich said he knew where to buy something, and we stood by a bridge in Camden. A suspicious looking fella showed up, and one of the guys followed him, only to come back running with two guys chasing him. So we all went running for a couple of minutes. Cue fucked up evening.

Next day, we were going to the game. It was a late game, 9 pm IIRC. On our way to the Lane we ran into some no-good fellas on the street who threatened to stab us. Great.

Finally! At the Lane. Bale, King, Modric, a firing Adebayor.. What’s not to like? Villa were fucking atrocious. Adebayor scored 2 in the first half. Nothing happened in the second half. The athmosphere was dead that night, and it was a boring football game. Well, victory. Off we go.

We hadn’t eaten yet, so we found some Indian place up the street. We were the only guests.
Cue 5 guys with diarrhea in a small apartment in Woolwich. Back we go the next day.
Thanks London :pochbye:

:mong:

13153485._UY113_.jpg

Probably the 3 nil home defeat to West Ham under avb, that was pretty traumatic , if I remember correctly we would have gone top with a win and it's pretty much when things began to unravel for avb
Or the one nil home defeat to Woolwich when sherwood was in charge and having to listen to their lot sing , he wants us to win for 89 mins

That was soul crushing, I thought we had been playing awful up to that point but getting lucky results then 3-0 defeat to West Ham and not long after 6-0 to City and 5-0 to Liverpool.

That was such an odd season, we got so many victories under both AVB and Sherwood we didn't deserve, as if the gods loved us. Terrible football particularly under AVB, how we even came 6th I don't know.

I have seen us finish far lower and been far more happy with the season. There seemed to be such a disconnect between the fans and club. It's amazing how things change, feels good again.

1-0 defeat to Hull, Ramos' last home game I think?

Dreadful performance, players didn't look like they cared, bottom of the league and the only noise from the away end.
This probably gets my vote too. I was born in 1993 so missed most of the mid 90s turmoil, and walking out of this game was the only time I was genuinely concerned about relegation.

Mine: last season home defeat to West Brom at home, Went to a rave in Tel Aviv on Friday night took far too much MDMA completely crashed and had a bad trip. my flight to England was on Saturday at noon, I had a terrible flight stuck between 2 fat chavs on easyjet going mental every 20 minutes
The game was on sunday at midday, I was still really out of touch with reality and I remember we played so poorly it was laughable. nearly passed out on the tube on my way to my AIRBNB hsts :eriksenserious:

my dad had a famous one: catching a charter flight from Israel to watch Spurs get smashed 8-2 at derby only to return the following day to his brother's wedding

That was soul crushing, I thought we had been playing awful up to that point but getting lucky results then 3-0 defeat to West Ham and not long after 6-0 to City and 5-0 to Liverpool.

That was such an odd season, we got so many victories under both AVB and Sherwood we didn't deserve, as if the gods loved us. Terrible football particularly under AVB, how we even came 6th I don't know.

I have seen us finish far lower and been far more happy with the season. There seemed to be such a disconnect between the fans and club. It's amazing how things change, feels good again.
All three West Ham games that season were awful - particularly the league games.

The trip to Upton Park could have been one thing to smile about in a miserable season but they stuffed that up too. I think it was telling that it seemed unanimous that people wanted Ledley's team to win the testimonial. Not just because it was Ledley but I think it was an opportunity to actually enjoy watching that shambles lose in a non competitive game.

Living in Australia and only just turning 18 I have only been able to go to an EPL Spurs match once. We were on a family holiday that wasn't designed around football, but it turned out while we were in London a match had been rescheduled to while we there but the tickets were completely sold out by the time we realised (It was against Newcastle). We figured we'd go down to the game and see if we could scalp some tickets and if not we would just watch it somewhere nearby. So we get to the game and we can't find anyone selling tickets for ages, except one guy who was selling them for a like 150 pound per ticket (there was five of us so that was simply unfeasible). The game had kicked off and we found another guy who was selling them and eventually got in. It was about 15 minutes in by this stage and we are sprinting up the stairs trying to get in when all of a sudden the ground shakes and the stadium erupts, we hear that Darren Bent has put us in front over the loudspeaker but we missed the goal. The match finished 1-0. Still amazing to see us live and obviously we won but it was bitter sweet! :)

Will be making it over to England though hopefully within the next few years with a mate so that will be football central, plus will be seeing the friendly in Australia in July.

Home to Villa, '92. Two nil up after 8 minutes, Lineker missed a penalty to make it 3-0. Then Villa have roughly five shots and score five goals.... Lost 5-2.

Travelled from my home in Worcester with three Villa supporting mates. When the fifth went in one of them had to hold another down in the Worcester Avenue to stop him celebrating. Great journey back.... Standing then and you paid at gate though. We really were shit back then!!

There were a succession of boxing day 0-0 draws against Fulham about 5 years ago that were very, very boring.

The 1-0 win away in the cup at Watford under Redknapp is up there as well.

If we're talking worst match in terms of excitement and spectacle I seem to remember a 0-0 draw at whl with someone like Birmingham city under George graham . Just the worst most boring football ever.

Also FA Cup 3rd round away at the Emirates a couple of seasons ago.
£60 for a ticket. Amazing noise in the pub, tube and concourse pre match and as soon as we got to our seats and had gone a goal down for some reason everyone just stopped fucking singing. Getting beat on the pitch is one thing but in the stands?! Game was shit too and a massive anti climax.

Back
Top Bottom