Worst Spurs players ever

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not nearly enough David Bentley mention here, his lone shining moment notwithstanding.

I have a begrudging admiration for Bentley. Landed a ridiculous contract with us, lost interest in football, made some wise investments (one of which I was involved with), then bought a few tropical nightclubs that he spent most of his late 20s hanging out at.

Admittedly we practically banished him to Siberia for a bit, but I doubt he cares.

made some wise investments (one of which I was involved with), then bought a few tropical nightclubs

Had no idea about this, would be fascinated to know more.

And as a lazy fucker myself I definitely knew and could relate to Bentley not giving a shit, but he was given an awful lot of playing time for a guy who's heart clearly wasn't in it anymore.

He made late 2019 Christian Eriksen look like Roy Keane.

Had no idea about this, would be fascinated to know more.

And as a lazy fucker myself I definitely knew and could relate to Bentley not giving a shit, but he was given an awful lot of playing time for a guy who's heart clearly wasn't in it anymore.

He made late 2019 Christian Eriksen look like Roy Keane.

I think he just had a good financial advisor.

Stuck a fair wedge in pensions. He definitely won’t be skint in his later years. I know he owns a few nightclubs overseas. He’s living the life. Pretty sure he retired very young for a footballer.

I guess it’s not really his fault we played him, though I agree that he was mostly dreadful.

Like you I could possibly see myself doing the same. If I was offered a 5 year contract for £70k a week at Spam I’d be phoning in sick from the beach every day. And I’d still probably be their most productive player.

I have a begrudging admiration for Bentley. Landed a ridiculous contract with us, lost interest in football, made some wise investments (one of which I was involved with), then bought a few tropical nightclubs that he spent most of his late 20s hanging out at.

Admittedly we practically banished him to Siberia for a bit, but I doubt he cares.
Bentley's problem was Lennon. At his previous club he was the star, the man they tried to give the ball to all the time. He got to Spurs expecting to be first choice but could not dislodge Lennon from the team who upped his game. With few chances he struggled and his play deteriated. Not sure what happened after he left us.

For me, the worst players are the ones I really struggle to remember; who offered little to nothing and just held a place that a more talented youngster could have had. Stambouli was the walking definition of bland. I was so glad when he was gone.

Assou-Ekottu never did it for me. I remember thinking he was the first 'athlete' and not a 'footballer' we had. Didn't offer much going forward, and thinking he was Cruyff in our own box didn't exactly help our relationship.

Assou-Ekottu never did it for me. I remember thinking he was the first 'athlete' and not a 'footballer' we had. Didn't offer much going forward, and thinking he was Cruyff in our own box didn't exactly help our relationship.
I've seen him also in a Spurs best XI team, which is ridiculous as well. But the worst? Not in a million years!

He had his moments - both good and bad - but there are a lot more worse than him, IMO

CLASSIC close season thread!

....Tramezzani! Looked like an Italian Robin Askwith*, and probably played like him too!

* For those of you NOT born in Black & White, I guess I should provide photographic evidence for my outrageous statement....

338.jpg
Robin...?
1uVNLIUtKpaXUeYMaQZFJzTzziO--5mWUju4rt7W72-QPHUUnv_dlmPPPmXj9nmsslJqr_TVE4uOsjExve1GvGiHIyn7VCbWzX9z8Rx7YbcFNsPERgGspj-djDV5UyAjrRM
Paulo...?

Last edited:
Interesting article/interview about Bentley’s post-football activities, and some insight in why he retired early:

https://www.bishopsstortfordindepen...ar-has-swapped-football-for-flooring-9076775/

Back
Top Bottom