Would you still sign Berahino?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What would you pay for Saido (if anything)?

• Total voters

Millbanks

Spurs - Champions Cup of Europe Winners 2011
His demise since our bidding saga in the summer is well documented, with just 3 Premier League goals so far this season.

Now, I don't recall many not wanting him on the books when our genuine interest was shown, but I'd be interested to know what people think now, given -

- His behaviour following Jeremy Peace's bid rejections
- His lack of form, and possible fallouts with Pulis this season
- West Brom's refusal to utilise him, despite the team missing his goals
- Spurs' togetherness since August, will he fit in

Is he a bad egg? Is his talent outweighed by his poor behaviour? Will he upset the balance of the squad? Would he be willing to play second fiddle to Kane?

He really is a catch 22 in my eyes, and I'm not sure I'd be so keen to take him now. I'd be more inclined to see who Poch and Mitchell can find elsewhere if we're spending big bucks.

What do we think chaps?

Last edited:
I like the idea of Berahino. Just as Toby and Jan's time as Belgian teammates has resulted in a special partnership, I could see Kane and Berahino developing a great understanding. May be wishful thinking, but I think Harry could bring the best out of him.

Definitely. So many of the PL games come down to an outright scrap in the middle of the pitch, that's why Dembele and Dier have become virtually indispensable.

Wanyama would offer cover for both of them and also for the centre backs, as Dier would be able to be moved back.

Have we forgotten about Benteleb and to some extent, Mason? If I recall correctly too, Carroll was half way decent in that holding midfielder position too.

If Poch wants him, then Poch should get his wish. Personally I'm not sure about his temperament or guts for the cause. Whether that be west brom or Spurs. But I wouldn't hesitate in backing Poch's judgment. As for the fee? He's nowhere near a £25 million player. £8 million plus Townsend if the rumours are true that WBA are interested in him sounds about fair.

Seems to me that poor Berahino (and his agent) is locked in a loosing PR Battle With Peace/Pulis.

The nature of things is that an owner/manager gets to talk publicly about players and that the reverse can only be done underhand through the media and requires some skill to pull off successfully.

Peace managed to paint Levy as the bad guy during the summer with his moaning press releases and showed how much he likes to play the PR-game.

Besides: The manager has a zillion ways of punishing a player, the player has virtually no weapons at his disposal in such a quarrel.

I don't see why we as Spurs-supporters should fall for the WB spin on the Berahino-saga.

The boy would like to join Spurs - we should appreciate that.

A young striker who needs an arm round him, the right guidance and a chance to prove himself? Sign him.

Pochettino has turned some of the players we had given up on into some brilliant players. This time 2 years a go none of us would of dreamt of starting Kane but Poch knew he could make him into something special (granted Sherwood did as well) He'd do the same with Berahino. Poch doesn't take any shit. If you're not a team player or are causing problems then you're gone.. Adebayor, Townsend, Fazio for example.

Berahino needs to be at a club where he is wanted, fans love him and he can let his football do the talking. Spurs are the perfect club for him as he'll get the chance to play under the manager who has got 11 players into the England squad, he's tutored the best current England striker into a goal machine, he's turned a league one midfielder into a worldwide known player and he can do the same for him.

Not all that's happened at WBA is Berahinos fault. If you were held against your own will and were let down by people you thought you could trust then you'd be annoyed.

Personally I think he'd give us that little bit extra to maybe get us into the top 2/3, maybe even a proper title challenge.

I dont want Berahino, too expensive, too unpredictable, too much of a potential disturbance and still largely unproven for that price. I'd prefer a cheaper alternative (probably foreign) who will see us as the next step in his development, someone from the top 6 - 10 clubs in a relatively smaller league, preferably aged under 22.

Or an experienced EPL striker aged 27 + who knows what we expect of him and accepts the second fiddle, are these types of players around ?

Millbanks Millbanks if we're going to spend £30m lets just go and get Lacazette
*salivates at the thought*
Ok, I'll compromise. Can you let Levy know, please? :kanehand:

in your opinion!.... personelly don't go with all this dm bollocks!.. 3/4/5 midfielders who know each others game and work well together and adaptable in any system is a far better way .. imho.
keyholing one player to a specific role limits options..
not everybody was crying out for a new dm.. this is something the "modern" game has invented.
What do you mean you don't do this dm bollocks? Are you saying you don't believe players have or need different roles?

Dier is a DM, not an AM or a LM or RM. He's not adaptable to those positions. Eriksen cannot play DM, he's not suited to the role.

Using your method, you could play 11 goalkeepers than know each other really well and it'd be fine.:pritchardeyes:

No way. Think his attitude sucks at the moment. Wouldn't want him sulking if he doesn't play every week.

We need team players, not jumped up little scrotes like him.

I'd be very wary of him. Poch has worked so hard to create a real club ethic and Berahino is clearly very self interested. I just don't want anyone messing with the cohesion and morale that our whole squad has worked so hard at.

I would sign him in a heart beat. He was who Poch wanted. Young, English and very talented. Could play a wide role and up top.

His development has been stifled a little, but it is only 6months since we were offering 25mil.

I would offer 15 + townsend (or the amount we can get for townsend).

As far as I am aware, he hasn't come out and refused to play? Correct me if I am wrong though. He has still made himself available, going by his twitter and other social media he is still working very hard and keeping himself fit so if we do end up signing him he won't be out of shape of unfit and he should be ready to slot right in.
He hasn't said he wouldn't play, no. But if you believe Pulis, he certainly hasn't put his head down and got on with it either. This weekend he said he was lucky to make the bench!

I'd take the gamble for anything up to around £15m, but no more than that.

Back
Top Bottom