Would you still sign Berahino?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What would you pay for Saido (if anything)?

• Total voters
Of all the names on the social media, my choice would be Jackson Martinez.

He didn´d adapt to La Liga and Atletico playstyle but he is a deadly striker that can also play super well with his back to the goal, helping the ball circulate and creating space for the wingers.

I´d like Berahino, but my choice would be a no-brainer if we have a chance to get him.

Only one side of the story has played out, at Spurs we NEVER talk about transfers, which I like, but this stance can be manipulated by the press as it is in this case. The only noise is coming from Pulis and Peace, not a peep from the player.

Imagine how that must feel when you are stuck in a club that even their own fans openly admit play shit defensive Pulis ruby football and knowing that a grand old team famed for the beautiful game, with a rich tradition of glory, that plays every year in Europe, has a history of nurturing some of the Worlds best forwards, a club that right now is being hyped as a potential title contender and has a Manager who is responsible for playing, developing English footballers who go on to get their England call ups is after you. This manager has said that "it's like falling in love" when finding the right profiled striker, imagine how he feels knowing that our club, our manger wants you. But instead you are stuck in hell in the fucking midlands, full of people speaking with blocked noises, with the only ambition in life is to beat The Villa and stay in the league.

I think he is a talented player, he has formed a lethal partnership with Kane in England U21's, knows a lot of the team already, he is English, knows the league and shown when given the chance he has made a name for himself. Poch has made huge efforts to speak of Character is as important as skill/ability and our player search includes character assessment, if Poch wants him that's good enough for me. As for the price of a player does anyone really know anymore???

Agree, but we were obviously encouraged to try to make it happen by someone in the summer, so....
Ooo. If this is correct, then he turned down a new contract in September, and his current deal (which I'm sure has a much lower wage than we'd be offering) only has 18 months left on it.

Victor Wanyama - player profile - Transfermarkt

Probably the last chance for Southamton to get anywhere near full price for him.
If Woolwich were smart, they'd be on it like a tramp on chips.

But this is Woolwich in January, after all.

Yes but anything more than £15M is crazy, especially considering there are several other (current) prem strikers knocking plenty of goals in who should be available for not much more.

I personally am not sure about him, he may be awesome, but it is far from certain so I'd prefer a different option if it was me spending the cash. But I totally trust Poch and if he wants him then by all means.

Have we forgotten about Benteleb and to some extent, Mason? If I recall correctly too, Carroll was half way decent in that holding midfielder position too.

I like all three of the above, however I still feel that Mason and Carroll are too lightweight in the holding midfielder role. Bentaleb clearly talented but has a job getting back in at the moment and again I think he's lightweight. We need someone more robust like Dier who is an absolute beast. Look at Alli and Dembele solidly built athletes.

Stick Berahino into the squad and you get this :pochsmirk:
Lloris , Walker , Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Alli, Lamela, Dembele, Son, Kane

Vorm, Trippier, Fazio, Wimmer, Rose, Bentaleb, Mason, Chadli, Carroll, Eriksen, Berahino

Haha no i'm not, sadly enough - never been good enough to reach pro so now all i do is hate on players who are :)

No seriously, seen him play live a couple of times now and really dont think he'll become a true top striker or lets say not a 30 million worth striker.
Haha, nah, maybe not £30m but £18m + Townsend???? :levyeyes: I'd bite my own hand if we could get him for that.

Ok, I'll compromise. Can you let Levy know, please? :kanehand:

What do you mean you don't do this dm bollocks? Are you saying you don't believe players have or need different roles?

Dier is a DM, not an AM or a LM or RM. He's not adaptable to those positions. Eriksen cannot play DM, he's not suited to the role.

Using your method, you could play 11 goalkeepers than know each other really well and it'd be fine.:pritchardeyes:
read it again !.. & actually dier is a center half!... although he's played at right back to if you recall !..
players that can play with each other and know each other games and roles is far more important than a player for a specific role imho.
obviously if you want to be a clever! go ahead.

Last edited:
So you'd rather buy a back up who can only play well when kane plays? And it does force us to change our identity. We can't play the same way if we change our formation.

As for "when we are losing we need to throw another forward on" sort of mentality. That's throwing your gameplan out of the window and just hoping shit falls into place. I doubt the team trains in 4-4-2 very often so changing it mid game to get a goal is more likely to cost us a goal realistically.

We should be looking for players who can play as a lone striker or part of a more fluid front 4. Not a goal poacher. We had a goal poacher. It wasn't good for either party.:soldadowatch:

I didn't say we shouldn't also buy a lone striker did I ???

If you are 2-0 down then surely your game plan is already out the window?? or do teams set out to go 2-0 behind?

As to the OP's question, if Poch wants him then I'm on board.

I'd stick to under 15mil purely because he's hardly being played but I have no problem with his attitude. The way I see it, WB already bought his replacement but Pearce just wanted top dollar for him and Levy wasn't going to be taken to the cleaners. Now, Levy with either pay less then what he intended to pay or we'll look elsewhere. I like Ighalo but I doubt he'll come if he's option "B" although top 4 and Europe would look very appealing to anyone from Watford.

I would have Berahino here in a heartbeat great little player who I feel has been royally stitched up by Brom , Ighalo for me is a flash in the pan , Wanyama a headless chicken , Jackson Martinez a fancy foreigner that would struggle in the premier league that would command a huge fee and wages.

My shortlist would be Bojan , Embolo , Berahino , Watmore

I've said no to signing him, he comes over as a bit of a spoilt brat, and I think he would upset the balance and team spirit that Poch has built. Maybe if he became available at a very low price, I might consider it, but I think we should go shopping elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom