Wycombe Wanderers vs Tottenham Hotspur | FA Cup 4th Round | Monday 25 Jan, KO: 19:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My local club. My mum can take Mrs Kane round Dobbie's Garden Centre whenever she likes.

I'll stick my neck out and say they'd welcome local leg-end Joe Hart back and all.
Shrewsbury were always my 2nd (lower league) Club... dunno why... too long ago to remember... probably summit to do with Spinal Tap or Gay Meadow! I've got the classic retro '70s shirt!

I've been to two Shrews games... away at Leyton Orient (lost 3-0) and the St Johnstone's Check-a-trade/ Primark Trophy at Wembley against Lincoln a few years back. (lost that too... I'm a jinx, never going again!!)

I think he still has a lot to give. Confidence was probably low coming in after be relegated to the bench in Madrid. (As low as a £100M player can actually get). Needs to be in 1st team matches to nurture this. He’s quality. Maybe the pace has diminished some, but the imagination, foot skills, and passing ability is still there.
I have a strange feeling Jose doesn’t play him because his arrogance wants to prove he can get it done with lesser players.

:mourear:
I reckon Jose is integrating Bale in a very thoughtful, mindful, gradual and sensitive way. Clearly rusty, Bale's match confidence is growing every time he plays. Last night we saw several glimpses of the unstoppably talented footballer that he still is.

His second coming is going to provide miraculous moments in the near future.

Shrewsbury were always my 2nd (lower league) Club... dunno why... too long ago to remember... probably summit to do with Spinal Tap or Gay Meadow! I've got the classic retro '70s shirt!

I've been to two Shrews games... away at Leyton Orient (lost 3-0) and the St Johnstone's Check-a-trade/ Primark Trophy at Wembley against Lincoln a few years back. (lost that too... I'm a jinx, never going again!!)
Haha. I've only been to one Shrewsbury match, they lost and it was a bit shit. Yes they nearly won promotion to the Championship via the Playoffs and a cup about 3 years back. But got neither... Had a good team.

Makes you appreciate Tottenham tbh.

I didn't say you did... I was using that as an example of someone (in this example, me) not being inept overall, just 'cos they showed ineptness at one particular thing (in my case; Nuclear Physics!) in your example, you said "he was inept at evaluating a manager" that's fine....but is that his lot now? That he is always inept at evaluating a manager...? I genuinely don't know if you disregard his opinion now because he clearly doesn't rate Jose... fucking hell, I dunno, we won last night, that's GENUINELYY all I care about!

But while we're on the subject, you also said " that being inept is not something that fluctuates like the weather, which is different from saying it never changes. "
I'm confused... if something doesn't fluctuate, does that mean that by definition it never changes, (because it can't... because it doesn't fluctuate) or it does? (because it doesn't fluctuate, yet that's not to say it never changes...) Weather does fluctuate... it changes, that's fluctuation... if it doesn't fluctuate then it can't change... like the weather, and your example... which does fluctuate! Unless it can't, in which case it stays the same... it never changes... unlike the weather, which changes... it fluctuates... unless you meant it can't ever not fluctuate (++Grammer/Grandma Citation neeeed!) and never change at the same time!!

...did we score 4 goals last night, or 8.... ? Confused of Albuquerque!

Anyhoo... let's leave it... I shouldn't have responded to your original post, and certainly don't wanna get into an online Grammar face-off on a footie forum! So sorry about that! x

For what it's worth, I agree about the last bit.... Mourinho is not an inept manager... whether he showed ineptness in or during a particular match is the topic up for debate...
as far as I can see... if we win, his decisions prove him right... if we lose/draw/surrender a lead, then for some, that will prove beyond doubt his ineptitude in that particular scenario....

I for one couldn't manage a football club, so will leave it to the experts... there have been many (too many) inept Spurs managers down the years... but I don't think Jose is one of them!
There, you can have that! we agree on that, surely Shirley?
Fluctuating implies change. The reverse is not neceesarily true.

Its like the difference between weather and climate.

I s everybody else enjoying this argument over ineptitude as much as I am?

Wake Up Reaction GIF by Originals

Oh, yeeeah. Really impressive to score 3 goals against 8th league side.
What an achievement!
Another 2 goals against Bulgarian league side.
And then 2 assists against Austrian league 4th side...
If you measure him on those standards, you yourself are admitting that he is something between amateur and professional.

He has been deemed not good enough to ever play against stronger side. You have to earn and prove your worth of if in training field. He up to no has not.

And once more - yesterday he never came close to even threaten the goal of last team in Championship, despite the fact that we as a team created absurd amount of chances.

P.S you meant to say his 1st and last season... at least with us. I will be extremely surprised if we would even for a moment consider signing him after his loan expires.
That’s a bit of a shitty comment really, he can only play if Jose selects him ?

Fluctuating implies change. The reverse is not neceesarily true.

Its like the difference between weather and climate.
Hang on.... weather can change... so can climate... what about CLIMATE CHANGE?

There is no difference... You've just described the difference between a baguette and a burger bun... both are made of bread!

....have I gone fucking mad, or are both weather AND climate suddenly NOT subject to change?

Surely BOTH are... in which case what's your point...? and in which other case, what the fuck am I doing here?

Fucking hell..... I've clearly lost it...
I'm off to drink ANOTHER pint of my deceased Grandmother's piss!
(...and before you ask, its ok, she left a gallon of it to me in her will... I'm only part way through THUS FAR!!!)

Glug glug glug glug

Last edited:
Hang on.... weather can change... so can climate... what about CLIMATE CHANGE?

There is no difference... You've just described the difference between a baguette and a burger bun... both are made of bread!

....have I gone fucking mad, or are both weather AND climate suddenly NOT subject to change?

Surely BOTH are... in which case what's your point...? and in which other case, what the fuck am I doing here?

Fucking hell..... I've clearly lost it...
I'm off to drink ANOTHER pint of my deceased Grandmother's piss!
(...and before you ask, its ok, she left a gallon of it to me in her will... I'm only part way through THUS FAR!!!)

Glug glug glug glug
While both can and do change, climate does not fluctuate but weather can and does fluctuate.

Google says:
having or showing no skill; clumsy.
"the referee's inept handling of the match"

Inept handling of the match. Not all matches. The match. Singular. You can be inept for a period of time. It is not an ongoing state and can be altered. Clearly, I do not need to improve my comprehension or vocab.

You have handled this conversation ineptly but you do not handle all conversations ineptly therefore this is a one off, short period of ineptitude rather than long term ineptitude.

Therefore, Jose has handled the matches I mentioned (and others) ineptly. Last night he did not and I thought he and the team handled the challenge well.
While your tune has not changed, seems you are now singing at a different pitch.

So your claim is no longer that Mourinho is an inept manager, but that he has been inept in his handling of a handful of matches. Congrats to you for at least seeing some level of reasoning ( all hope is not lost yet).

That being said, given that number of matches in question are limited, particularly when compared to the rest of the matches where his handling was not inept, and that there is no tangible support for the accuracy of your judgement, I would assert that it is more likely that you were being inept in your judgment of Mourinho's handling of said matches.

Last edited:
While your tune has not changes, seems you are now singing at a different pitch.

So your claim is no longer that Mourinho is an inept manager, but that has been inept in his handling of a handful of matches. Congrats to you for at least seeing some level of reasoning ( all hope is not lost yet).

That being said, given that number of matches in question are limited, particularly when compared to the rest of the matches where his handling was not inept, and that there is no tangible support for the accuracy of your judgement, I would assert that it is more likely that you were being inept in your judgment of Mourinho's handling of said matches.
If only there was a winner post I would have issued it to you.

While both can and do change, climate does not fluctuate but weather can and does fluctuate.
Thank gawd for that.... now excuse me, I'm gonna have to fluctuate my pants, as I've had them on for a week, and I shat them a little last night when we went 0-1 down at Wycombe!!!

As David Bowie once sang: "Flu-Flu-Flu-fluctuates!"

Thank gawd for that.... now excuse me, I'm gonna have to fluctuate my pants, as I've had them on for a week, and I shat them a little last night when we went 0-1 down at Wycombe!!!

As David Bowie once sang: "Flu-Flu-Flu-fluctuates!"
I would advise that you 'change' your pants, cos if you 'fluctuate' them, you will be back in the same shitty situation very quickly and Liverpool is still two days away

Last edited:
While your tune has not changed, seems you are now singing at a different pitch.

So your claim is no longer that Mourinho is an inept manager, but that he has been inept in his handling of a handful of matches. Congrats to you for at least seeing some level of reasoning ( all hope is not lost yet).

Wow. Patronising much!
I did say he was inept then when I was questioned I clarified it ages ago. Your apparent vendetta is tiring and I find your inability to even try to see my side is tiresome and I shall not be discussing this with you further.
Well done. Award yourself some internet points or whatever it is you feel you deserve.

Wow. Patronising much!
I did say he was inept then when I was questioned I clarified it ages ago. Your apparent vendetta is tiring and I find your inability to even try to see my side is tiresome and I shall not be discussing this with you further.
Well done. Award yourself some internet points or whatever it is you feel you deserve.
I would try to see your side if your position was more reasonable. But you refused to limit yourself to simply disagreeing with some his decisions but instead tried to pass of your personal dislike and bias as some technical evaluation of his managerial abilities.

This was never a discussion but simply an exchange of opinions, as you made sure factual information (which didnt support your opinion) were left out and instead only wanted your opinion heard. Heard it, didnt like it.

What I deserve is that (hopefully) you dont rehash the same stuff in the future.

I would try to see your side if your position was more reasonable. But you refused to limit yourself to simply disagreeing with some his decisions but instead tried to pass of your personal dislike and bias as some technical evaluation of his managerial abilities.

This was never a discussion but simply an exchange of opinions, as you made sure factual information (which didnt support your opinion) were left out and instead only wanted your opinion heard. Heard it, didnt like it.

What I deserve is that (hopefully) you dont rehash the same stuff in the future.
Your obsession with me is literally hilarious. I'm honoured that you afford me so much of your time and energy. I don't need to pass off my personal dislike and bias as I've never hidden it...look through my post history and you'll see. I admit I made an apparent broad statement but then, when questioned, I clarified specifically what I was referring to as inept. The facts (losing games from winning positions) were never left out and form the foundation of my point which was (and I'll speak very slowly) that in SOME games, Jose puts out a seemingly inappropriate team and tactics and doesn't change either tactics or personnel in said games when it is clear to the amateur watcher, that's one thing needs to be changed (remember those games? Check the threads and you will see better posters than I, call out what's gonna happen based on their watching of the game so...if we can see it how can't Jose ergo inept in those situations only. He was not inept with his handling of the game last night...clear enough?

Now, we can keep going back and forth, boring each other with out opinions all night but there's no need to. I FULLY understand your position and hopefully you now understand mine. We don't have to try to change these and can just let it lie.

I know but what im saying wycombe did not look more dangerous with the ball than we did like the commentator said
Of course they wouldn't but we should be putting it to bed much earlier and not need the cavalry to help do it. Lots of deadwood in the team. Can see a massive clear out this summer

That’s a bit of a shitty comment really, he can only play if Jose selects him ?

No.
Player is paid to train and prove himself.
If he is not even trusted against top 6 side in Championship to lead the line in cup game, this is reflection of his quality or lack of it.

Playing time has to be earned but up to now he has not earned it.

He did well against Marine and he was granted a chance to play against last team in Championship, where he did nothing useful and his stocks fell as a result. Though I expect we have to start him in EL playoffs anyway, so I assume he will get some kind of chance.

I would advise that you 'change' your pants, cos if you 'fluctuate' them, you will be back in the same shitty situation very quickly and Liverpool is still two days away
But that's the point.... they're my lucky pants! If I change them, then we're all in trouble...
At least if I only fluctuate, it's me who has to bear the consequences.... or do you mean alternate?

Back
Top Bottom