Wycombe Wanderers vs Tottenham Hotspur | FA Cup 4th Round | Monday 25 Jan, KO: 19:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

...and Winks should probably be loaned to a Championship club...
I'm sure the likes of Shrewsbury will welcome Kane & Son with open arms!!
My local club. My mum can take Mrs Kane round Dobbie's Garden Centre whenever she likes.

I'll stick my neck out and say they'd welcome local leg-end Joe Hart back and all.

Hate to say it, but you've just undone your own argument.... how can he "likely be inept for the near future" if ineptitude isn't fleeting...? "You are either inept at doing something or not." your words, not mine.

"It's you that needs to improve your comprehension and vocab." (again, your words, not mine!!)

Anyway... I'm good at cooking and music, but inept at Nuclear Physics... doesn't mean i'm inept as a human being... just at certain things!
Nah, he’s right. The bloke he’s referring to, in the quote above, doesn’t abide by any form of logic so 1882 should crack on really :tanguythumb:

I like Vinnie , look at the minutes he has played and how many goals he has scored / Contributed to ? But your welcome to write him off in his first season in a foreign country where he is still learning to speak the lingo !

Oh, yeeeah. Really impressive to score 3 goals against 8th league side.
What an achievement!
Another 2 goals against Bulgarian league side.
And then 2 assists against Austrian league 4th side...
If you measure him on those standards, you yourself are admitting that he is something between amateur and professional.

He has been deemed not good enough to ever play against stronger side. You have to earn and prove your worth of if in training field. He up to no has not.

And once more - yesterday he never came close to even threaten the goal of last team in Championship, despite the fact that we as a team created absurd amount of chances.

P.S you meant to say his 1st and last season... at least with us. I will be extremely surprised if we would even for a moment consider signing him after his loan expires.

I know what you mean.... but I'm not convinced about the stat that having 10 shots on target = 7/8 or even 9 goals scored.... only very rarely would tthat happen, occasionally a team goes nuts, and tthe opposition capitulates...

In any case, HAD those early chances gone in, and we'd been comfortably 4 or 5 up earlier, I doubt he'd had even brought on Kane/Son/Tanguay.... so those last flurry of goals may not even have happened... they'd have had a 25 minute training session with us in front comfortably.

The issue was more the timing of those goals... not how many we coulda shoulda scored
(Though yes, I agree, we could easily have scored 4 in the 1st half, and not even bother trying in the 2nd.)

I agree with you for most of this, which is why I started my post with "the scoreline tells you what happened".

I'm just making the point for all the annoying commenters that talk about "deserve" vs. the scoreline. It's like they think we can't count the goals we actually scored because they were too late AND we can't count the fact that we dominated most of the match because we didn't score.

I'm just making the point that that was very much a 4-1 game.

I missed the whole bloody thing yesterday. Only just caught up. So happy for Winks. Slagged him off plenty but he's Spurs through and through, that means a lot to me.

If/when he does go, I hope he can leave with great pride for having represented his boyhood club, rather than a bit disappointed and regretful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really a frustrating game to watch w the huge amount of chances that were not converted. Can look at it one of two ways: 1) W 5 mins left in regulation, we were tied 1-1 and in danger of going to extra time (which would have been AWFUL w Pool on Thursday) 2) We created a TON of chances. 28 shots, 10 on target. One of our best games at creating. And encouraging signs from Bale and Tanguy continues to impress/grow.

Trying to find what the xG was for the match. Would have to believe it was something like 5.3 to 0.5. We gifted them their goal and they only had 1 other real chance.

Anyway, on to Pool and the big match. Early prediction is that Stevie B gets rolling finally...

I do wonder whether Jose would have done it anyway , just to sadistically turn the screw. Wycombe must have felt their resolve ebbing away when Son, Kane, Ndombele and Bale were on at the same time. And not lazy Bale, but a much hungrier, sharper Bale. Loved seeing him shifting up the gears tonight.

I think he still has a lot to give. Confidence was probably low coming in after be relegated to the bench in Madrid. (As low as a £100M player can actually get). Needs to be in 1st team matches to nurture this. He’s quality. Maybe the pace has diminished some, but the imagination, foot skills, and passing ability is still there.
I have a strange feeling Jose doesn’t play him because his arrogance wants to prove he can get it done with lesser players.

:mourear:

Hate to say it, but you've just undone your own argument.... how can he "likely be inept for the near future" if ineptitude isn't fleeting...? "You are either inept at doing something or not." your words, not mine.

"It's you that needs to improve your comprehension and vocab." (again, your words, not mine!!)

Anyway... I'm good at cooking and music, but inept at Nuclear Physics... doesn't mean i'm inept as a human being... just at certain things!
Firstly, I never said he was an inept human being (whatever that would mean). I said he was inept at evaluating a manager, so I dont see the relevance of your last paragraph. (comprehension eh?)

Secondly, I stand by my earlier statement, that being inept is not something that fluctuates like the weather, which is different from saying it never changes. The statement you highlighted should have been comprehended in the context of the preceding statement and not in isolation like you did.

Now to the exchange itself, he claimed, that based on the matches he considered that Mourinho was an inept manager. What you seem mistaken about is the subject of the adjective, which in this case was Mourinho himself as a manager and not just his 'handling of a specific match'.

I agree with you for most of this, which is why I started my post with "the scoreline tells you what happened".

I'm just making the point for all the annoying commenters that talk about "deserve" vs. the scoreline. It's like they think we can't count the goals we actually scored because they were too late AND we can't count the fact that we dominated most of the match because we didn't score.

I'm just making the point that that was very much a 4-1 game.
Totally agree... I think it's just most of us woulda been happier (and expected) it to be 4-1 at HT, rather than wait until the 93rd minute...

It was never an 8-1 game... had we scored the 4 goals earlier on, we all know Jose would have shut up shop, and not looked to humiliate the opposition (he doesn't tend to do that, I find) 4-1 was enough... just depends on when you would have preferred the 3rd & 4th to go in!

I'd have been less nervous had we sewn it up in the 60th minute or so, but hey, what's half an hour between friends?!

Out of the kindness of my heart, I'll give you a better understanding of ineptitude. Here goes...

Currently, your understanding of the term inept is inept, but I believe you will learn its proper meaning one day. Ineptitude does not have to be a permanent state but, sadly for some, it is.

The very fact that you used the phrase, 'likely remain inept for the near future', means that you subconsciously realise the ephemerality of ineptitude, undermining your entire argument.

If, instead, you were putting a case for bigheaded snottiness being a permanent state, I'd find it hard to disagree with you, have revelled in it all my life.
Ineptitude is not ephemeral and not being ephemeral does not automatically engender permanence.

Thanks for your kindness

Ineptitude is not and not being ephemeral does not automatically engender permanence.

Thanks for your kindness
Drugs Psychadelic GIF by merkinspurlock

Firstly, I never said he was an inept human being (whatever that would mean). I said he was inept at evaluating a manager, so I dont see the relevance of your last paragraph. (comprehension eh?)

Secondly, I stand by my earlier statement, that being inept is not something that fluctuates like the weather, which is different from saying it never changes. The statement you highlighted should have been comprehended in the context of the preceding statement and not in isolation like you did.

Now to the exchange itself, he claimed, that based on the matches he considered that Mourinho was an inept manager. What you seem mistaken about is the subject of the adjective, which in this case was Mourinho himself as a manager and not just his 'handling of a specific match'.
I didn't say you did... I was using that as an example of someone (in this example, me) not being inept overall, just 'cos they showed ineptness at one particular thing (in my case; Nuclear Physics!) in your example, you said "he was inept at evaluating a manager" that's fine....but is that his lot now? That he is always inept at evaluating a manager...? I genuinely don't know if you disregard his opinion now because he clearly doesn't rate Jose... fucking hell, I dunno, we won last night, that's GENUINELYY all I care about!

But while we're on the subject, you also said " that being inept is not something that fluctuates like the weather, which is different from saying it never changes. "
I'm confused... if something doesn't fluctuate, does that mean that by definition it never changes, (because it can't... because it doesn't fluctuate) or it does? (because it doesn't fluctuate, yet that's not to say it never changes...) Weather does fluctuate... it changes, that's fluctuation... if it doesn't fluctuate then it can't change... like the weather, and your example... which does fluctuate! Unless it can't, in which case it stays the same... it never changes... unlike the weather, which changes... it fluctuates... unless you meant it can't ever not fluctuate (++Grammer/Grandma Citation neeeed!) and never change at the same time!!

...did we score 4 goals last night, or 8.... ? Confused of Albuquerque!

Anyhoo... let's leave it... I shouldn't have responded to your original post, and certainly don't wanna get into an online Grammar face-off on a footie forum! So sorry about that! x

For what it's worth, I agree about the last bit.... Mourinho is not an inept manager... whether he showed ineptness in or during a particular match is the topic up for debate...
as far as I can see... if we win, his decisions prove him right... if we lose/draw/surrender a lead, then for some, that will prove beyond doubt his ineptitude in that particular scenario....

I for one couldn't manage a football club, so will leave it to the experts... there have been many (too many) inept Spurs managers down the years... but I don't think Jose is one of them!
There, you can have that! we agree on that, surely Shirley?

Back
Top Bottom