You're The DOF

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll spend 100m over 4 years hiring the best coaching staff to improve the output of our young players and academy products. To ensure development, domestic cup squads will be all out youth players and they will be expected to win.

Why buy a 70m player, when you can make one.

I'll spend 100m over 4 years hiring the best coaching staff to improve the output of our young players and academy products. To ensure development, domestic cup squads will be all out youth players and they will be expected to win.

Why buy a 70m player, when you can make one.

You would have to change the narrative as well. ATM every young English footballer looks at Jadon Sancho like he's some sort of saviour. Over the last year we've lost some of our big prospects: Luis Binks, Noni Madueke and Paris Maghoma (though lower league for the latter). Sell the idea that loan moves are still viable. Worked for Kane, Rose and Walker

You would have to change the narrative as well. ATM every young English footballer looks at Jadon Sancho like he's some sort of saviour. Over the last year we've lost some of our big prospects: Luis Binks, Noni Madueke and Paris Maghoma (though lower league for the latter). Sell the idea that loan moves are still viable. Worked for Kane, Rose and Walker

I've been an advocate of us using the Chelsea model for many years. Forming alliances with a handful of European clubs and shipping players out wholesale. People mocked it, but it was a much better approach for actually developing young footballers both technically, tactically (as continental football and coaching is generally still endemically more conducive and tolerant to development of young players), in the footballing sense of getting proper first team experience and it builds character too, having to learn a new language, culture, step outside their comfort zone etc.

Chelsea used to held up as bad example of youth development - but they pay young players better than anyone, they get good coaching, and get them a much better quality of playing experience than most other academies - so that even if they don't make it with Chelsea, they get exposure, experience, add value to their sale price if deemed not good enough for Chelsea.

I always maintained it was easy to understand why kids would choose their academy, even if they could see an easy pathway.

I've been an advocate of us using the Chelsea model for many years. Forming alliances with a handful of European clubs and shipping players out wholesale. People mocked it, but it was a much better approach for actually developing young footballers both technically, tactically (as continental football and coaching is generally still endemically more conducive and tolerant to development of young players), in the footballing sense of getting proper first team experience and it builds character too, having to learn a new language, culture, step outside their comfort zone etc.

Chelsea used to held up as bad example of youth development - but they pay young players better than anyone, they get good coaching, and get them a much better quality of playing experience than most other academies - so that even if they don't make it with Chelsea, they get exposure, experience, add value to their sale price if deemed not good enough for Chelsea.

I always maintained it was easy to understand why kids would choose their academy, even if they could see an easy pathway.

I agree. Would be great having that vast amount of talent at disposal.

Chelsea invested a lot of time and money in the project, and at the end of the day they almost blew it by having the wrong manager. One of the stand out players in Sarri’s pre-season was Hudson-Odoi. He hardly saw game time throughout the season even though Pedro didn’t play well. Hudson-Odoi wasn’t impressed and decided he would leave at the end of the season when his deal would run out.

Until Lampard got hired a lot the talent was overlooked. Transfer ban or not, I’m positive Franky-boy would have used a lot these youngsters anyway. Hudson-Odoi got settled, but Chelsea is paying him silly money because he came close to expiry date, and he’s not even that good anymore after his lengthy injury.

So I guess I’m saying, it would only make sense if we had a manager with the right vision. Chelsea’s investment doesn’t seem that stupid right now, when they are saving money on expensive signings because half their starting XI is academy graduates.

I agree. Would be great having that vast amount of talent at disposal.

Chelsea invested a lot of time and money in the project, and at the end of the day they almost blew it by having the wrong manager. One of the stand out players in Sarri’s pre-season was Hudson-Odoi. He hardly saw game time throughout the season even though Pedro didn’t play well. Hudson-Odoi wasn’t impressed and decided he would leave at the end of the season when his deal would run out.

Until Lampard got hired a lot the talent was overlooked. Transfer ban or not, I’m positive Franky-boy would have used a lot these youngsters anyway. Hudson-Odoi got settled, but Chelsea is paying him silly money because he came close to expiry date, and he’s not even that good anymore after his lengthy injury.

So I guess I’m saying, it would only make sense if we had a manager with the right vision. Chelsea’s investment doesn’t seem that stupid right now, when they are saving money on expensive signings because half their starting XI is academy graduates.

Funnily enough, I’ve never been overly convinced by Hudson-Odoi. But I think even if the players don’t make it to Chelsea’s first team, they are still often able to recoup reasonable sums for the players because they are decent/young/now have experience/count as HG. Even if they are just picking up 3-10m they are quids in - then you get the Hudson-odoi’s the Solanke’s etc and boom Your making good money to reinvest elsewhere.

Funnily enough, I’ve never been overly convinced by Hudson-Odoi. But I think even if the players don’t make it to Chelsea’s first team, they are still often able to recoup reasonable sums for the players because they are decent/young/now have experience/count as HG. Even if they are just picking up 3-10m they are quids in - then you get the Hudson-odoi’s the Solanke’s etc and boom Your making good money to reinvest elsewhere.

...and Nathan Ake and Nathaniel Chalobah

Pretty sure we had that very model in place here up until a few years ago.

Alex Pritchard for 9m anyone?

Back
Top Bottom