Yves Bissouma

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is a comparison with Fofana (Monaco) I've left out the final third attacking metrics, as we aren't asking Bissouma to do that.(But for clarity Fofana's are better but he does play in a DP). I've used Bissouma 23-24 season as this was his first season playing in a defined 6 remit for us, and the last 365 days for Fofana. Bare in. mind Bissouma is doing it in the PL and Fofana in Ligue1:

Last edited:
Bissouma v Rice. But I have to point out that Rice often plays more in an 8/ Sarr type remit and his final third (XG,XA, Assists,goals) stats are much better than Bissouma's.

For comparison, here's Sarr v Rice with some more attacking metrics thrown in as the both often play similar 8 type remits.

Last edited:
why are you lot obsessed with dick measuring contests about shirt numbers and what that is supposed to mean?
How about we take a look at the fuck ups Bissouma has been prone to in the last few months?
You know, the ones where he switches off and watches opponents charge towards our goal with the ball - or his other recent trick of giving the ball away without pressure, that keys another attack where he stands around with that dumbfuck look on his boat that says "fuck me - how did that happen?"

Or how about that we are having to play our naturally talented ball player and passer out of position to accommodate him and Saar instead of letting Mads play in central midfield whilst those two collect, find or receive the ball and then get it to him so he can do his clever stuff.

currently our best MF would be PEH, Bentancur and Maddison in the middle

IMHO

and I can do opinions without having to show pictures of players umbrellas

He had a few against West Ham. Wasn’t good. But anyway, wasn’t suggesting its an issue in current role. Might be one if he pushes further up.

He could be effective in some ways… if you play him 8 you have to drop one of Sarr or Maddison as neither can play 6. I don’t think it’s worth it for someone with an incomplete skill-set to play 8.

If we look to purchase a 6 in the window (wouldn’t be against this) then I still think Sarr is a better 8 anyway. With a lot more potential.

I didn't say drop Sarr (or anyone else) for him.... Just repeating that I think #8 is his best position in response to you saying it was a "baffling" idea ( seemingly for the sole reason that he's not much of a goalscorer).

I think he's best suited to fulfilling the same function as Dembele did........ We may never get to see it however; be it proving me right or wrong.

.........Assuming the obvious players come and go in the summer IMO, it feels a bit like the squad fits as follows; especially as we look a lot more 4231 than 433 (regardless of JM roaming deep at times):

DM: ??? + Biss or Bentancur (no less comfortable with the latter tbh as he paired up well enough with PEH before he got injured in Dec 22 + he seems better suited to recycling the ball.)
B2B: Sarr, Bentancur, Bergvall, Biss (yeh, yeh, humour me) + Skipp as a warm body.
AM/CAM: Maddison + ???

I didn't say drop Sarr (or anyone else) for him.... Just repeating that I think #8 is his best position in response to you saying it was a "baffling" idea ( seemingly for the sole reason that he's not much of a goalscorer).

I think he's best suited to fulfilling the same function as Dembele did........ We may never get to see it however; be it proving me right or wrong.

.........Assuming the obvious players come and go in the summer IMO, it feels a bit like the squad fits as follows; especially as we look a lot more 4231 than 433 (regardless of JM roaming deep at times):

DM: ??? + Biss or Bentancur (no less comfortable with the latter tbh as he paired up well enough with PEH before he got injured in Dec 22 + he seems better suited to recycling the ball.)
B2B: Sarr, Bentancur, Bergvall, Biss (yeh, yeh, humour me) + Skipp as a warm body.
AM/CAM: Maddison + ???

He’s not a good goal scorer and he’s not a good progressive passer either. He’s got 0.38 expected assists in the entire season so far, he doesn’t spray long passes about with any regularity, he doesn’t play players through and even his short passing game is very conservative.

For me a good box to box should be able to add some goals, some assists, cover ground and win the ball back. You can be missing a couple of these attributes if you’re utterly exceptional at something (Dembele) but it isn’t ideal. I’m not fancying Bissouma near the opposition box at all. He’s great at winning duels, avoiding the press/carrying the ball.

Rice atm is an archetypal box to box. He wins it back, he covers ground, he chips in with goals and assists and he’s powerful & dangerous running with the ball. Bissouma can do some of that to an even higher level than Rice can, but he can’t do the other stuff imo.

I like Bissouma as a 6. Think he has some concentration issues there but it can be worked on. His profile imo is best suited to being that deep-lying midfielder.

He’s not a good goal scorer and he’s not a good progressive passer either.

Neither was/did Dembele.

He’s got 0.38 expected assists in the entire season so far, he doesn’t spray long passes about with any regularity, he doesn’t play players through and even his short passing game is very conservative.

Again; ditto Dembele.

..............We have ourselves a circular argument.

I'm resigned to not changing minds over this.... I just don't see it as a "baffling" prospect.

why are you lot obsessed with dick measuring contests about shirt numbers and what that is supposed to mean?
How about we take a look at the fuck ups Bissouma has been prone to in the last few months?
You know, the ones where he switches off and watches opponents charge towards our goal with the ball - or his other recent trick of giving the ball away without pressure, that keys another attack where he stands around with that dumbfuck look on his boat that says "fuck me - how did that happen?"

Or how about that we are having to play our naturally talented ball player and passer out of position to accommodate him and Saar instead of letting Mads play in central midfield whilst those two collect, find or receive the ball and then get it to him so he can do his clever stuff.

IMHO

I know I’m going to regret this but here goes nothing.

The point of the radar graphs is that they display a whole group of metrics/measurements of what a player does per 90 in a visually easy to read and easy to compare format.

The reason we use metrics is because they tell us lots of things all at once that eyes alone can’t always register and don’t conform to, or confirm or deny our biases. They are neutral.

All players make errors, no players are perfect, and we have to decide whether there is a trade off and if it pays out or costs overall.

IMO, based on what I see week in/out and backed by the metrics, comparing with his peers, I think Bissouma flaws are not frequently cost us and his positives are frequently paying us.

I also completely disagree with your notion that Maddison should be playing where Bissouma is.

It's fair to assume that Rodri's goal contributions are an outlier compared the vast majority of #6s.
Shots per goal for some DM's
Biss 45.0 (135 22 3) (career)
Rodri 9.8 (207 64 21) (career)
Rodri 5.6 (39 17 7) (2023/24)
Palhinha 6.2 (25 11 4) (2023/24)
Tchouameni 5.5 (11 4 2 5.5) (2023/24)
Palacios 4.7 (14 4 3) (2023/24)
Rice 3.8 (23 14 6) (2023/24)
Højbjerg 6.0 (24 9 4) (2022/23)

IMHO

Quality Michael lad

It's just shorthand for player positions.... It doesn't wash for a second that in 2024 you don't know that.

The fact that you go on to bemoan Sarr (who's having a good season) and seem to be under the impression that Maddison isn't playing in midfield...... Well that's just baffling.

He’s not a good goal scorer and he’s not a good progressive passer either. He’s got 0.38 expected assists in the entire season so far, he doesn’t spray long passes about with any regularity, he doesn’t play players through and even his short passing game is very conservative.

For me a good box to box should be able to add some goals, some assists, cover ground and win the ball back. You can be missing a couple of these attributes if you’re utterly exceptional at something (Dembele) but it isn’t ideal. I’m not fancying Bissouma near the opposition box at all. He’s great at winning duels, avoiding the press/carrying the ball.

Rice atm is an archetypal box to box.
He wins it back, he covers ground, he chips in with goals and assists and he’s powerful & dangerous running with the ball. Bissouma can do some of that to an even higher level than Rice can, but he can’t do the other stuff imo.

I like Bissouma as a 6. Think he has some concentration issues there but it can be worked on. His profile imo is best suited to being that deep-lying midfielder.
Nonsense...Luka Modric!

There's a reason it's called box-to-box, it's all the footballing stuff that is NOT what you're pointing out. Could give two shits if my #8 EVER bagged shiny object...but they should be making the play/pass that sets up the move that creates that warm, fuzzy shiny object feeling you get inside.

Nonsense...Luka Modric!

There's a reason it's called box-to-box, it's all the footballing stuff that is NOT what you're pointing out. Could give two shits if my #8 EVER bagged shiny object...but they should be making the play/pass that sets up the move that creates that warm, fuzzy shiny object feeling you get inside.

wrong

IMHO

:bissoumahear:

It's just shorthand for player positions.... It doesn't wash for a second that in 2024 you don't know that.

The fact that you go on to bemoan Sarr (who's having a good season) and seem to be under the impression that Maddison isn't playing in midfield...... Well that's just baffling.
The fact that you can't understand written English, and criticise things you seem unable to grasp is a mystery to me.
I'm glad you think Sarr is having a good season, not an opinion I share, and it's possible to play Madison in midfield but in a role that doesn't make best use of his skillset.

The fact that you can't understand written English, and criticise things you seem unable to grasp is a mystery to me.
I'm glad you think Sarr is having a good season, not an opinion I share, and it's possible to play Madison in midfield but in a role that doesn't make best use of his skillset.

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

Probably in terms of retaining safe possession, but his lack of ability/variety in passing the ball long levels that out a bit I guess. I dunno, he's a good player, just not a player of the highest level.

It’s really true about his limited passing, he so rarely plays anything other than a short ground pass.

Especially at WHL, I get so pissed off when one of our wingers or full backs is wide open on the far side and he simply refuses to loft the ball over to them. Even Hojbjerg has the courage to switch it. It wouldn’t be so bad if he drove forward with the ball himself but he’s completely stopped doing that.

Back
Top Bottom