Zlatan....There Will Never Be Another.....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Am I the only one who thinks Ibrahimovic is a fucking cunt?
Probably one of the two most naturally gifted footballers of our era, the other being Messi.
The guy has total self belief in his abilities and this self confidence is often perceived as arrogance whereas it is actually the secret of his success. His scoring record speaks for itself.
Whatever you think of him 'talking the talk' he also 'walks the walk'.

Probably one of the two most naturally gifted footballers of our era, the other being Messi.
The guy has total self belief in his abilities and this self confidence is often perceived as arrogance whereas it is actually the secret of his success. His scoring record speaks for itself.
Whatever you think of him 'talking the talk' he also 'walks the walk'.
What about Ronaldo?

I saw this interview with Dacourt yesterday and he comes across as a good guy, some of what he says is just to wind the press up.

Yup. He intentionally puts attention on himself ahead of big games. It is tactical. If he wins, he gets to rightfully brag a bit and then bigs up his teammates. If he loses, he puts almost all the attention on himself, allowing his teammates to fly under the radar. He did this for years for the Swedish national team once he was our established biggest player. And did it for PSG as well.

When he was younger it was definitely about proving himself and more about ego. But as he has grown up it has taken on the shape of more of what we see today. With him trying to run the narrative around his bigger games.

What about Ronaldo?

For me he just doesn't come under the category of 'naturally' gifted. Zlatan and Messi seem to do things with a football by pure instinct whereas Ronaldo has to work and train hard in order to achieve the same level of performance. God gave those two a gift, Ronaldo had to earn his.
The perfect analogy would be that watching those two is like watching a bird soar gracefully into the sky but watching Ronaldo is like seeing an aeroplane take off. Everyone ultimately ends up in the air but the manner in which they did so is completely different. :thumbup:

Great plays, impressive physicality but never decisive in the Champions League: a mystery.

By his own admission (from the book "Io Zatlan" one of the decisive figures for his training was Capello at Juventus. He instead hated Guardiola for his ambiguity in human relations

BT Sports are showing some random highlights of recent Champions League games just now, caught one today, PSG beat Anderlecht 5-0 in Belgium from 2013/14 ( I think).
Ibrahimovic showed his full repertoire, first half hat trick killed the game, his third was an absolute beauty from about 30 yards. The whole stadium gave him an ovation.

Ha ha!

I used to live in Malmö, where of course Zlatan was a local hero. He'd come out of Rosengård, which is the eternal rough part of town on the eastern edge, where a lot of east European and moslem immigrants live. I remember when his biography came out the Swedes went mental. His book was piled high in every bokhandeln. They loved him there as a local lad made good. And to be fair he paid it back. Came back to Malmö regularly and had a place overlooking the Öresund, not far from the Turning Torso. Did a lot of charitable stuff locally, including in Rosengård. Top bloke by all accounts.

Ha ha!

I used to live in Malmö, where of course Zlatan was a local hero. He'd come out of Rosengård, which is the eternal rough part of town on the eastern edge, where a lot of east European and moslem immigrants live. I remember when his biography came out the Swedes went mental. His book was piled high in every bokhandeln. They loved him there as a local lad made good. And to be fair he paid it back. Came back to Malmö regularly and had a place overlooking the Öresund, not far from the Turning Torso. Did a lot of charitable stuff locally, including in Rosengård. Top bloke by all accounts.
He didn’t write the biography himself - most of it was made up bollox

Ha ha!

Didn't Malmo folks get mad with him when he bought a stake in their local rivals football team? Think i read some drama about that a while back.

Oddly, though I went to a fair few Malmö FF matches (I was in walking distances of the Swedbank stadium) I didn’t really support them. My boss in Sweden was a transplanted Stockholm lad, and an AIK supporter, and so when we went to away matches I found myself with the AIK fans, who were a rough, noisy but good bunch. The cops were always edgy when AIK fans came to town and invariably we were met with a full press riot squad.

However, I loved the AIK lot because they made a proper noise in a league where the Swedes are notoriously quiet. (Seriously, I’ve been to nearly silent matches. One against Roy Hodgson’s old side Halmstad was a graveyard.) So I’ve ended up an AIK supporter, and therefore have an antipathy to any other Stockholm side. Zlatan having a stake in Hammarby is Sol Campbell levels of Judas behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom