Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club have earned my trust that's all. If we deem a target worthy of the asking price then so be it. If we don't, then so be it.
I genuinely don't care if we sign nobody....some people are ready to jump off a bridge and it's not even July yet.

People on the internet fretting about signings they will have written off by October just make me laugh to be honest.

As for the 200M well yes, you basically want every single player we are linked with....what shall we pay for them? Shirt buttons?
I like the players we're being linked with, doesn't mean I want every single one of them

jyVn3Oo.png

£20,000,000 opening bid rejected for Adrien Silva.

He's just come on for Portugal in the Confederations Cup. Just got booked for fouling Spurs legend Giovani dos Santos.

Chucking a load at the existing wage/bonus pot makes absolute perfect sense to me. Keeping your top players is how you become a top team.
It should be bonus related I think. We are performing at a very high level & the players should get the going rate for performing at a very high level. The minute we start handing out unsustainable long term contracts is the minute we could run into trouble. Adebayor's change in attitude when he realised he'd hit his wage ceiling was remarkable. I'm not saying any of the current crop are like that, but to keep a sensible wage structure (lol, that came out stricture first time around...) and tell them that they will get top drawer bonuses as long they continue to perform top drawer as a squad will keep them hungry & keep us in a position where we can remain competitive with wages. At least I think that would work. Finish top, we will double your wage for the year with an end of season bonus. Then on a sliding scale depending on where we finish. Outside of a European spot is zero bonus- without a trophy. A trophy will give you a bonus of £1.5 million each (for illustration purposes only)

Too much sun for me today I think .... :walker:

Post 1st July and new kit launch?
While I can see the logic behind that thinking - I feel it's mainly optimism from our fanbase.

Kit releases don't seem to make teams delay transfer announcements (with Man City, for example, they'll just have the player in a training shirt if it's early in the window).
However, our change to Nike combined with a possible Nike stadium naming deal could perhaps be the extraordinary case in that regard.

The day we signed Toby and announced the 61,000 seater stadium plans was a fucking amazing day a couple of years ago.

Everton are spending so much money this summer and they still are only going to finish in 7th again next season.

True, but they are doing the right thing in their position. Very similar attempt to what we have been doing for years. It's a process that takes time because some transfers don't work out, some get nicked off you when they get too good etc. But they have a decent manager so if they can keep him for a few years they will progress. Very difficult to compete for the top places and turn the top six into a top seven though. Having said that we faced a much bigger task breaking the top four, made even harder by City getting rich, yet we did it. I like Everton, like us they've had to put up with insufferable neighbors for a long time.

Marco Asensio anyone?

Isco is so 2016

Reports of a contract extension any time now to 2023 and a release clause of €350,000,000. Of course that's not to say they wouldn't accept a lower offer. I believe the "release clause" just means the club won't stand in the way should someone make that offer.

I honestly think there's more chance we'd resign Bale than get Asensio at this point.

Reports of a contract extension any time now to 2023 and a release clause of €350,000,000. Of course that's not to say they wouldn't accept a lower offer. I believe the "release clause" just means the club won't stand in the way should someone make that offer.

Release clauses are obligatory in Spain, every player has to have one.

It's not a case of the the club not standing in the way should someone make that offer, it's that they CAN'T do anything about it. Contracts here are held by the FA, if you decide to pay the clause and the player agrees, the buying club give the sum in question to the player who then goes to the FA, deposits said amount (+ 21% VAT) and receives his cancelled contract in exchange. There isn't a damn thing the player's old club can do.

As a result, wages and release clauses go hand in hand. If a player wants a pay rise, the club put up the release clause to limit their risk. If a club wants to raise a low release clause the player knows they can demand (and get) a pay rise to match it.

As far as I know it's the only country to operate this system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom