Swansea at Wembley - 16 Sep, 17:30KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've heard this a number of times now, but what is "playing like an away team"?

Mainly just counter-attacking, like we did against Dortmund is one example. If we let Swansea have more possession and get high up the pitch, their own players would have been so confused when we broke on them fast. Their whole game plan is based upon us having the ball and breaking them down. If our game plan isn't based on having more of the ball and breaking them down then it at least messes up the game plan they successfully worked on all week.

Approach the game like we did at Everton and Newcastle. The away games where we make things happen.

Problem with that is lesser teams sit back play when we're at home , when they're at home the crowd pushes them on , pressured to attack. At our makeshift home they sit back playing 9-0-1 , it's a bastard to breakdown bar a touch of genius. Get the first & often several come.

We're playing a different animal when we're at Wembley sadly

Well thats the crux.....some people keep saying Wembley is t a problem though. It clearly is unless they think we are playing like we did at WHL there...

Last year has no bearing. WHL is dust so there is no comparison. We are playing away with more freedom and less pressure. If someone cant see any difference I envy them, because for me, Wembley is AVB all over again
The "hoodoo" is bollocks. If fans make Wembley a problem for the whole season by fuelling they hoodoo nonsense they are doing a disservice to the players. It's no surprise that most fuelling this hoodoo crap are also those who have no patience. It's the difference between having a bit of common sense and thinking that it will take some games for us to get used to Wembley and therefore not to expect a title challenge, and acting like we should be winning the title there and throwing our hands up in the air and acting like we're on the brink of disaster if we're not instantly as good as our best ever PL season.

As for AVB all over again, load of rubbish.

This was the most Trippier has done all season and it was at LB and he was still shite. So frustrating. What the fuck happened to him. He was fantastic towards the end of the season in place of Walker

He was by no means the worst on the pitch and we took 10 passes to get the ball out wide. Also why the fuck is he on the left. Dunno what poch was thinking. Same lineup as Dortmund needed. Dembele should have been on for Alli at some point. Not sure what Poch was thinking today. Crap line up and poor subs. And bin the cunt sissoko. Seriously a waste of space

It is beyond retarded to think we can play like an away team at Wembley against lesser teams.

If you think this is frustrating you can't imagine how much worse it would be to watch 2 teams who refused to commit to any attack.

Sitting deeper and hoping to counter isn't going magically make Swansea take the Dortmund role ffs.

If you're a big team you are going to have to accept that you will dominate possession and have a higher line against small teams.

Problem with that is lesser teams sit back play when we're at home , when they're at home the crowd pushes them on , pressured to attack. At our makeshift home they sit back playing 9-0-1 , it's a bastard to breakdown bar a touch of genius. Get the first & often several come.

We're playing a different animal when we're at Wembley sadly

Yep....the thing that annoys me is that we have enough players for that moment of genius, but this first hour of softly softly catchy monkey bullshit just drives me nuts.

We play as if the game is 6 hours long and if we do the same thing that isnt working, then eventually the oppo will get knackered and we can walk the ball in. When will we realise that the oppo get stronger?

Why not concede posession as it worked just three nights ago?

When we did catch them out the odd time, we had no intention of a counter attack. Just stop in the middle, re group, go back rinse and repeat.

P. W. D. L. F. A. Pt
15/16 5 1 3. 1. 4. 4. 6
16/17 5. 3. 2. 0. 8. 2. 9
17/18 5. 2. 2. 1. 7. 3. 8
After 5 games were no exactly doing anything different than the two previous seasons,add Wembley in the mix so we have kept the consistency! And new players to be bedded in we've done nowt wrong. Only concern is as pointed out when dross like Swansea rock up and don't play we've struggled that's also been consistent,the only criticism of the manager which I don't ever do is that he should by now know who will shut up shop so he should have a plan...

P. W. D. L. F. A. Pt
15/16 5 1 3. 1. 4. 4. 6
After 5 games were no exactly doing anything different than the two previous seasons,add Wembley in the mix so we have kept the consistency! And new players to be bedded in we've done nowt wrong. Only concern is as pointed out when dross like Swansea rock up and don't play we've struggled that's also been consistent,the only criticism of the manager which I don't ever do is that he should by now know who will shut up shop so he should have a plan...
So, we're consistently bad for 5 games. I guess that's something to hold on to!

I'm glad your analysis makes you happy

You must be very satisfied with yourself.

Have a great evening

It doesnt make me happy, it is what it is.

If you want to go through life sewing your lips together rather than admit that Dele had a poor game then go ahead.
Its hardly like I pissed on a bible in church......if you find it all so outrageously horrific to discuss then go and hide behind the sofa until we play well

OK... so here's the thing...
Away teams play like it's their Cup Final.. . We've yet to meet a team who 'freezes on the day'.... everyone has raised their game at Wembley... we have to find a way to counter that.... THAT'S the curse!

On any given day we're better than Swansea AND Burnley... and yet apparently we're not!

P. W. D. L. F. A. Pt
15/16 5 1 3. 1. 4. 4. 6
Yeah. People forget that we actually had a bit of a dry patch early last season. We're already up to fifth, one point on fourth. The doommongering is ridiculous. If we get to ten games and we are doing noticeably poorer then I can understand.

Yep....the thing that annoys me is that we have enough players for that moment of genius, but this first hour of softly softly catchy monkey bullshit just drives me nuts.

We play as if the game is 6 hours long and if we do the same thing that isnt working, then eventually the oppo will get knackered and we can walk the ball in. When will we realise that the oppo get stronger?

Why not concede posession as it worked just three nights ago?

When we did catch them out the odd time, we had no intention of a counter attack. Just stop in the middle, re group, go back rinse and repeat.

Also we don't have player who can dribble past players in tight spaces consistently, what Hazard, Sanchez, David Silva do etc. Only player we have like that is Dembele but he plays deeper, it's that ability that crates opening and causes distruption in opposition defences when they play 9 defenders.

We still have that weakness in attack, our defence is brilliant but our attack still isn't balanced, Son is not a dribbler like Hazard but he was the player causing Swansea most issues in that he does have some pace.

Just came back from the store and had some time to cool down and reflect on the game.

1. I don't understand Poch's gameplan/mindset when we've played Burnley and Swansea. You're aware they'r going to sit back deep, long balls, or try to nick one in on the counter. What we should be doing is going all in in the first 10 minutes or so and try to go a goal up. Game will open up the rest of the way.

2. We so badly need a Iniesta/Veratti/Xaviesque player that can sit back and pick passes apart.

3. Didn't understand the Son sub. Should've taken of Alli

4. This loss is more frustrating then the Burnley one. That burnley game we can point and say Trippier had a costly mistake that led to them equalizing. Swansea today at times played with no striker up front.

5. Mike Dean was horrendous. There were two clear handballs not given and that handball he decided to give was to Aurier. I hope the league makes refs watch highlights after the match and hold these refs accountable.

Also we don't have player who can dribble past players in tight spaces consistently, what Hazard, Sanchez, David Silva do etc. Only player we have like that is Dembele but he plays deeper, it's that ability that crates opening and causes distruption in opposition defences when they play 9 defenders.

We still have that weakness in attack, our defence is brilliant but our attack still isn't balanced, Son is not a dribbler like Hazard but he was the player causing Swansea most issues in that he does have some pace.

We have a player called Dele Alli who could supposedly play for Real and Barca, but cant take on a Burnley or Swansea defender. Too many silly flicks and his first touch has gone all Rasiak.

Its not that we dont have a player that can make a difference, its that he doesnt anymore

What the fuck were we doing with Davies and dembele on the bench, I love poch and I am not calling for his head but that was wenger esc tactics. So fuming dembele is so important when we want to break teams down. The son experiement at left back did not work last year and it doesn't work this year. Moving trippier to left back so that he can't cross on the outside was bullshit. . .

Especially when it turns out Aurier can't cross for toffee!!

Back
Top Bottom