Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There were a few shockers last night. Kane for example, was awful. But he has loads of credit in the bank. So does Dele, Son, Eriksen. All got a number of massive performances in for us and very capable of doing it again.

Sissoko gets it from me because he’s hardly ever decent. He’s got no past performances to look fondly upon. And he’s never shown that he’s likely to be difference in any match. When he plays well, he’s ok. That appears to be he best he can do. Not good enough for a club with ambitions like ours.

But Sissoko is consistently decent. Not a world beater and not amateur. But because aesthetically he doesn't look as comfortable on the ball as Dembele, Dele or Eriksen he gets scrutinised.

Which people can't seem to accept. Apparently one misplaced pass yesterday is all it took for abuse to start. ONE.

Although i agree he hasn't made a good start with us i hope we don't start booing him during a game. We used to do it to Martin Chivers, Alan Mullery, Johhny Pratt, and latterly Chris Armstrong and there's even been a brief dig a Harry Winks ffs. I have never understood what people think they will get out of publicly booing a Tottenham player during a game. I had hoped that we had rid our support of that element and pray it doesn't return. I well remember a wet horrible day at Notts County in 1977-78 when we were losing and some fans were giving John Pratt some awful stick, he then proceded to score two wonder goals to get us a 3-3 draw. That point proved to be invaluable as we were promoted by just pipping Brighton. Had we not got promoted that season (great season as it was) we may never have signed Ossie and Ricky, no 1981 fa cup etc etc. They play for Tottenham and that will do for me and i will give them my full support always.

But Sissoko is consistently decent. Not a world beater and not amateur. But because aesthetically he doesn't look as comfortable on the ball as Dembele, Dele or Eriksen he gets scrutinised.

Which people can't seem to accept. Apparently one misplaced pass yesterday is all it took for abuse to start. ONE.
He’s less comfortable on the ball than every player in our squad, with the exception of the keepers. And he’s not been consistently decent, he’s been well under that. And 2 goals does not mean he’s decent or productive, when a few attacks a match break down due to his control, lack of ability, lack of confidence, lack of control or slow speed of thought. Using his 2 goals as a yardstick makes Modric kind of rubbish because he hardly scored. I know who I’d rather started for us.

And we are a team aiming for titles. We can’t afford for a player to be decent or below that almost every game he plays. Other players have bad games, but they are a rarity, his are the norm.

I don't think he's been all that terrible to be honest , I strongly wish we didn't sign him and thats been my opinion since we were first linked but he works for the team and can be a decent outlet with the strength and speed he carries the ball , his passing can be frustrating and he couldn't finish his dinner but overall he has contributed something this season and hasn't made a catalogue of basic errors he's been a decent stopgap, i think some of the critism is a bit much , I'd still hope to see a lot less of him when Mousa , Winks and Victor are fit and on form.

Comparing Sissoko and Modric is pointless though. Because Modric shits on every single footballer in our team as far as footballing ability goes. And he would run a game from the middle of the park. He didn't need goals and assists. Unfortunately, beyond 2015 Dembele, we don't have anyone who can run midfield consistently so we sort of need them to do something.

Again, I'm using his output as a reflection of our central midfield options. When he's scoring or assisting more than everyone else in his position or hardly giving up the ball, then I fail to see how he's been anything but decent?

I get it. You don't happen to like the way he controls the ball, the fact he doesn't look pleasing on the ball due to the fact he doesn't have low centre of gravity or attempt long range passes that are way beyond his ability but that doesn't mean he's been far from decent.

I get it. It's popular to bash Sissoko. He ticks all the boxes. Cost a lot of money. Doesn't score a lot. First touch isnt as good as Zidanes. Keeps Dembele and Winks out of the team at the choice of the manager etc etc etc.

At the moment, we are a team fighting for top four and there have been a lot worse players in teams fighting for such a place.

Comparing Sissoko and Modric is pointless though. Because Modric shits on every single footballer in our team as far as footballing ability goes. And he would run a game from the middle of the park. He didn't need goals and assists. Unfortunately, beyond 2015 Dembele, we don't have anyone who can run midfield consistently so we sort of need them to do something.

Again, I'm using his output as a reflection of our central midfield options. When he's scoring or assisting more than everyone else in his position or hardly giving up the ball, then I fail to see how he's been anything but decent?

I get it. You don't happen to like the way he controls the ball, the fact he doesn't look pleasing on the ball due to the fact he doesn't have low centre of gravity or attempt long range passes that are way beyond his ability but that doesn't mean he's been far from decent.

I get it. It's popular to bash Sissoko. He ticks all the boxes. Cost a lot of money. Doesn't score a lot. First touch isnt as good as Zidanes. Keeps Dembele and Winks out of the team at the choice of the manager etc etc etc.

At the moment, we are a team fighting for top four and there have been a lot worse players in teams fighting for such a place.
You don’t get it though.

I’m not putting his stats or performances up against our players that aren’t playing. As it turns out, he’s had to play as we’ve had nobody else. I’m more annoyed by the fact we’ve wasted so much money on him with the fee and wages. We should be doing so much better in the market. Surely to god our professional, full time, well paid scouts could find someone better for the money.

Edit - and I don’t care if bashing him is popular or not. It’s just most people can see he’s not up to scratch. In fact, such defence of him might suggest the need for attention, as his deficiencies are so obvious.

You don’t get it though.

I’m not putting his stats or performances up against our players that aren’t playing. As it turns out, he’s had to play as we’ve had nobody else. I’m more annoyed by the fact we’ve wasted so much money on him with the fee and wages. We should be doing so much better in the market. Surely to god our professional, full time, well paid scouts could find someone better for the money.

Edit - and I don’t care if bashing him is popular or not. It’s just most people can see he’s not up to scratch. In fact, such defence of him might suggest the need for attention, as his deficiencies are so obvious.

Was it your money that was spent on him? Then why do you care? His fee and wages were within our limits.

Maybe Pochettino wanted him and plays him because he rates him? Who knows.

Im defending him because most of the criticism he gets is pathetic. I saw one moron blame him for the Obiang goal.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Was it your money that was spent on him? Then why do you care? His fee and wages were within our limits.

Maybe Pochettino wanted him and plays him because he rates him? Who knows.

Im defending him because most of the criticism he gets is pathetic. I saw one moron blame him for the Obiang goal.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
I care because I’m not someone who believes we have an endless pit of money. We need to care who we spend that money on. Mark Noble would be well within our limits too, doesn’t mean I want him trampling around midfield for us.

Poch probably does want him and probably does rate him, otherwise he’d not play him. And Poch knows better than me. I just can’t see it with this guy.

And we didn’t draw because of Sissoko last night. The person blaming him for the goal is an idiot. On the flip side, I saw another idiot say Sissoko was responsible for West Ham hardly having any shots. He has so little effect on the games, I don’t think he’s effected any result we’ve had, positive or negative. He’s just there.

He hurts the team alot. I don't think some realize how much he slows down play and misses a pass option because his technical ability is so horrible. Him and Dier paired in the midfield won't break anything down.

The reason he looks average sometimes is because he is making a living off passing to the easy option every time, ie backwards or sideways or up the line on the easy side. He doesn't take any risks with his passing whatsoever and when he does it never comes off because he has no technical ability.

The side to side passing is fine if he offered anything else, but his defensive contribution is pretty much the only thing at this point that I can see him offering. The runs with the ball at defenders are so rare that they may as well not exist.

I don't like to bash players but you've got to call it as you see it - the guy really isn't very gifted when it comes to football.

We have to let people defend certain players if they see fit. I do see the value in Sissokohno myself but surely forums are for discussing this sort of thing. If someone has a different opinion then I can't get mad at them just don't agree with them. It doesn't make em an idiot and vice versa they can disagree that I think Son for example has been 1 of our best players this season , I won't call em stupid just for making a different judgement than me. It's all about opinions for me and the more varied views we have just makes for better discussion / banter but no more than that. The common goal should be supporting the mighty Spurs and hating with a passion the scum down the road

We have to let people defend certain players if they see fit. I do see the value in Sissokohno myself but surely forums are for discussing this sort of thing. If someone has a different opinion then I can't get mad at them just don't agree with them. It doesn't make em an idiot and vice versa they can disagree that I think Son for example has been 1 of our best players this season , I won't call em stupid just for making a different judgement than me. It's all about opinions for me and the more varied views we have just makes for better discussion / banter but no more than that. The common goal should be supporting the mighty Spurs and hating with a passion the scum down the road

Apprcieate that comment. I don’t rate sissoko at all but it’s good to hear other people’s opinions.... son on the other hand is a talent! So glad we signed him.

He is good on the break but that's it, against a packed defense he is guff.

His positioning yesterday was weird, but he gets picked for a reason, physically he is ridiculous, but technically woeful.

He is not the reason we didn't win, he is not the reason Obiang scored a worldie.

He is good on the break but that's it, against a packed defense he is guff.

His positioning yesterday was weird, but he gets picked for a reason, physically he is ridiculous, but technically woeful.

He is not the reason we didn't win, he is not the reason Obiang scored a worldie.
Against a packed defence Spurs as a whole are "guff". The template for frustrating this Spurs side has been set, and more and more teams are doing it - its down to Poch to sort out, and it's less do to with individual players as the play of the team as a whole. Finishing is woeful - 31 shots simply have to produce more than 1 goal....that isn't down to Sissoko. There's no urgency in our play against packed defences.

Starting to get pissed off with the forum/Twitter fans moaning about why did Sissoko start. Let's see

1) Wanyama is not fully fit yet
2) Dembele is not fully fit
3) Winks has not been great lately, and stood still as that midget Gundogan scored a free header. Spam will rely heavily on set pieces- makes perfect sense to use Sissoko's height.
4) Spam rely on parking the bus then breaking with their fast players, Sissoko is fast enough.
5) How many times have we moaned about losing battles and being overpowered by this lot? Excuse Poch for fielding an athlete to counteract that.

These things happen. 4 points off spam is decent. We were terribly unlucky, that Donkey obiang will never hit one like that again. We should have had a pen or two. No need to blame our attack, defence or even Poch. Shit happens.

Starting to get pissed off with the forum/Twitter fans moaning about why did Sissoko start. Let's see

1) Wanyama is not fully fit yet
2) Dembele is not fully fit
3) Winks has not been great lately, and stood still as that midget Gundogan scored a free header. Spam will rely heavily on set pieces- makes perfect sense to use Sissoko's height.
4) Spam rely on parking the bus then breaking with their fast players, Sissoko is fast enough.
5) How many times have we moaned about losing battles and being overpowered by this lot? Excuse Poch for fielding an athlete to counteract that.

These things happen. 4 points off spam is decent. We were terribly unlucky, that Donkey obiang will never hit one like that again. We should have had a pen or two. No need to blame our attack, defence or even Poch. Shit happens.
Agree with this mate, although after 15-20mins Poch should have pushed up both Sissoko and Dier (no need to make a sub this early in the game), there was only one player left up top and they were unable to find him as we were dominating them. So agree with the selection (people also forget that his turned in some good performances of late, but appear to forget this) and reasons you list but I'd still question the use of two DM's in this game against a side that had no desire or ability to get out of their own half. Doesn't matter who the player is playing the role, just question where the two of them.

Back
Top Bottom