Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thought he was great - got himself about, strong on the ball, created our best chances, got an assist to this name, what more could we really ask for?

He's a good squad option for when games like this come about and he can play the full 90 minutes, allowing us to play other players who are needing match fitness and sub them off etc. Winks for example.

Anyone got our win rate with sissoko in the side? On the surface he looks useless but he seems to be doing something right in midfield
He's played all but two league games I think this season and we are 2 points off from this point last season.

So his impact on the results is not as pronounced as some would like to claim.

He's played all but two league games I think this season and we are 2 points off from this point last season.

So his impact on the results is not as pronounced as some would like to claim.
Much more relevant to look at the games in which he has started IMO. Below are the stats for games in which Sissoko has started, or come off the bench and played 45 minutes or more (to account for the Real Home game where he came off the bench for Toby and played 65 minutes).

League Games in which Sissoko has Started:
6-3-3
50% win ratio

League games in which Sissoko has not started:
10-4-2
62.5% win ratio

(All comps) games in which Sissoko has started:
13-6-4
56.42% win ratio

(All comps) games in which Sissoko has not started:
12-4-2
66.6% win ratio

Sissoko has started 12 out a total of 28 league games, and in all competitions has started 22 out of 41. He has started 5/5 FA Cup games, 2/2 EFL Cup games and 2/6 Champions League games (one of the ones he didn't start he played 65 minutes still)

AussieYiddo- you are the man for putting those stats together.
Would be hard to say that they haven't matched most of our observations of the situation.
Best I can say is that I think we all wish him the best while he's playing for the club.

I think Sissoko might be the first player (at Spurs at least) who fell out of favour with Poch and then worked his way back into favour.

Fair dues to the lad. Townsend, Bentaleb, Chadli and a score of others were just off loaded.

There is a player there, absolutely no doubt. The number of times he picks the ball up deep and storms past a few players is incredible. Sadly the number of times he then undoes all the good work by passing backwards or giving the ball away is pretty incredible too.
If he can work on the final ball and be a bit more ruthless, then we'd have a player on our hands.

There is a player there, absolutely no doubt. The number of times he picks the ball up deep and storms past a few players is incredible. Sadly the number of times he then undoes all the good work by passing backwards or giving the ball away is pretty incredible too.
If he can work on the final ball and be a bit more ruthless, then we'd have a player on our hands.
I think his best use is in a defensive mid role. He has all the physical attributes to be a good screening midfielder. And he reads the game well enough, his theoretical knowledge of the game cannot be questioned. And he can use his speed on the break to move balls up pitch. And he can be partnered with a more technically savy player like Dembele who can move the ball up more often. Bit weird that it has taken this long for a manager to realize that he is fine in this role. Obviously not a given starter for us but as a fine squad player/sub to bring on.

Put him further up pitch and he seems to get more easily stressed and lose his final ball.

Defensive mid or as a right midfielder in a 4-3-3 should be his strongest positions and utilize what he does well the best.

The best matches I’ve seen him play are in the cups against lower league opposition.

This could suggest he’s found his level.

Or it could suggest he is a lot better than the rest of our bench warmers.

I’m considering a little from option 1 and a little from option 2....

I don't think he is good enough for the premier league, when Newcastle got relegated he wasn't a stand out player for them unless he was ballsing up, I just think we play him to get his price tag somewhere close to what we paid in hope some other silly club will buy him.

Also was the commentator calling him Sis-socko last night? Was bugging the crap out of me.

Back
Top Bottom