Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good luck to the boy. Feel a bit of a shit now tbh.

My original feelings last August were he might be depressed or going through some mental issues. But just guessing of course.
Found myself defending him a lot on this thread as it seemed he’d been through a lot.

I then just got angry with him and thought go fuck yourself.
Funnily enough after an old school friend killed himself and various people on here were going through hard times with cancer and stufff.

But as someone who has seen depression take too many good people I know, I really should learn to live and let live.

After all it is just a game...........

(Still think he will be off and not that happy at Spurs).

Not one person slagged him off knowing he had mental health issues and it’s disingenuous to even suggest that they did.
That's the point. Without knowing the facts people abuse & slag off our players. Its like some are looking for a reason to abuse our own players.
Even when he went off to get stitches, people slagged him off & said he was storming off down the tunnel in a mood & that it was an insult to the club. Now its the same with toby. Giving him abuse without knowing the full facts. & mental health problems are very common & hiding it is too. No need for the abuse he got, mental health or no mental health problem.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, Rose says that it was Spurs that recommened that he seek help, so I'd say Spurs knew all about it. It's covered in this piece by Delaney, who IMO is a far better writer than Burt in the Telegraph.

So, to be controversial here, whilst I applaud him being so candid and ordinarily would be posting clapping hands gifs as a response, I think it's very poor judgment to come out with this now 8 days our from the start of the competition. My reasons are simple, the oppo we use this to get at him during the game if he's playing. I would. There I said it, if I was the oppo and he was playing against me I'd research every word he's uttered, everything that could antagonise him and then I'd unleash everything I'd got during the game. Materazzi won his country the World Cup by getting Zidane sent off.

Being a footballer is hard regarding these issues, or is why we haven't had a gay footballer come out. I'm not saying it's right either, but this is professional sport, it's why athletes dope, why Cricketers cheat by scratching the ball, why there's sledging on the field.

Hmmmm I dunno. Depression doesn’t work like most ‘nerves’, it’s a changing, fluid beast, plus people typically know they have it. I’m not sure trying to mug someone off would work...esp during a game. It’s very complex, and you would end up going down as one of the biggest cunts of all time if you went after someone about their mental health to win a game. If it was an England player they’d be sent home in disgrace, I’m certain.

Is what it is, and Rose might be under pressure but he doesn’t seem that fragile to me.

Rough times....

"The fact the knee injury turned out to be worse than originally thought – he was told at first that he did not need an operation – also took its toll, with the player struggling badly as a result."

This part intrigued me... Further on, theres mention of him hammering pain killers...

If he feels the club were in some way connected to the poor initial diagnosis it's easy to see where any resentment towards the club would come from.

Regardless of any on-pitch matters, hopefully this proves a new dawn for DR and he can find some peace.

Massive credit to Danny for speaking out and showing bravery on a subject that so many people, especially young males, struggle to open up about.

There might very well be a young kid somewhere who looks up to Danny and now understands it’s okay to to talk about his feelings. Danny should be applauded for that.

These things are absolutely more important than football, than spurs or worlds cups. I hope our club has given him the support he needs and continue to do so.

Just to be clear, Rose says that it was Spurs that recommened that he seek help, so I'd say Spurs knew all about it. It's covered in this piece by Delaney, who IMO is a far better writer than Burt in the Telegraph.

So, to be controversial here, whilst I applaud him being so candid and ordinarily would be posting clapping hands gifs as a response, I think it's very poor judgment to come out with this now 8 days our from the start of the competition. My reasons are simple, the oppo we use this to get at him during the game if he's playing. I would. There I said it, if I was the oppo and he was playing against me I'd research every word he's uttered, everything that could antagonise him and then I'd unleash everything I'd got during the game. Materazzi won his country the World Cup by getting Zidane sent off.

Being a footballer is hard regarding these issues, or is why we haven't had a gay footballer come out. I'm not saying it's right either, but this is professional sport, it's why athletes dope, why Cricketers cheat by scratching the ball, why there's sledging on the field.

Don't worry. We got ashley young playing at LB. What can possibly go wrong?

Tbf anyone could tell he was in a bad place. He looked like a fat homeless crackhead.

Are we really shocked to hear he was suffering from mental health issues? I don't think so.

More of us should have given him the benefit of the doubt.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. No one here suggested he had depression at the time. So to blame fans for criticising what he did last season because he has announced this today is a dirty, snakey manouvre.

Whether we're shocked is not the point. We didn't know.

We criticised his actions, and it was fair considering the content and the timing and especially as it was The Sun.

I can just imagine Rose and Pochettino having a long talk going on for hours about their lives and what they want for the future.

Pochettino is that sort of guy and the fact he hasn't completely isolated Rose tells me he knows exactly what sort of problems Rose had.

Hmmmm I dunno. Depression doesn’t work like most ‘nerves’, it’s a changing, fluid beast, plus people typically know they have it. I’m not sure trying to mug someone off would work...esp during a game. It’s very complex, and you would end up going down as one of the biggest cunts of all time if you went after someone about their mental health to win a game. If it was an England player they’d be sent home in disgrace, I’m certain.

Is what it is, and Rose might be under pressure but he doesn’t seem that fragile to me.
I appreciate the complexities of depression, unfortunately there appear to be many people I know and within my family that suffer and appreciate there are different triggers for different people. I would still do it though.

That's the point. Without knowing the facts people abuse & slag off our players. Its like some are looking for a reason to abuse our own players.
Even when he went off to get stitches people slagged him off & said he was storming off down the tunnel.
Now its the same with toby. Giving him abuse without knowing the full facts.
& mental health problems are very common & hiding it is too. No need for the abuse he got, mental health or no mental health problem.
Whereas you've just slagged off a whole group of fans whom also you don't know the facts of.

You're a hypocritical snake that uses mental health as a weapon.

You want people to only talk about Spurs issues knowing all the facts then maybe forum life ain't for you. Speculation is 90% of this board.

Danny made a mistake, as he admitted, and was slagged off for it. Only now are we getting a true understanding of why.

Even when he went off to get stitches people slagged him off & said he was storming off down the tunnel.
Now its the same with toby. Giving him abuse without knowing the full facts.
& mental health problems are very common & hiding it is too. No need for the abuse he got, mental health or no mental health problem.
So should nobody express dissatisfaction with a player because he might, a year down the line, admit to having suffered from depression? Anyway, thankfully Rose’s was short lived and he’s no longer on medication. Good for him.

Tbf anyone could tell he was in a bad place. He looked like a fat homeless crackhead.

Are we really shocked to hear he was suffering from mental health issues? I don't think so.

More of us should have given him the benefit of the doubt.
Agreed. Some think its okay to abuse someone unless they come out & say "I've got mental health issues". Then say "well how was I suppose to know? so I've done nothing wrong".

Indeed. People suffering from depression (from my experience) generally have lower opinions of themselves than anyone else. Hearing some no mark on an opposing side you don't know say some shit wouldn't be that cutting.

I appreciate the complexities of depression, unfortunately there appear to be many people I know and within my family that suffer and appreciate there are different triggers for different people. I would still do it though.
Fair enough, I doubt Matterazzi gives a shit when he wears his medal about the house!

Agreed. Some think its okay to abuse someone unless they come out & say "I've got mental health issues". Then say "well how was I suppose to know? so I've done nothing wrong".
Stop sniping from the sidelines and debate with those you're bitching about. This is a serious topic. One very close to my heart and you are weaponising it to point score.

If I were to tell you I was diagnosed with depression, would that make you think twice of your abuse? Probably not, because your first thought when hearing this news was to go at fans and others and criticise them for something they didn't know. Whereas everyone else's first thoughts were ''poor bastard''.

You are a hypocrite. A wimpish one too.

Thoughts should be on Danny Rose and his journey.

Also, those with depression don't just get a ''you can do or say anything'' card just because they have mental health issues. You are still liable for your actions. And Danny was, to many of us that thought he spoke out of turn last season. He apologised as he knew he'd done wrong. Knowing that may have even exacerbated his Black Dog and brought on a bout.

Last edited:
He's played well this season. Unlike most English people I've come across I like this team, I like the Manager and how he's acted since the day he was appointed. I'm looking forward to watch us play.
Double agree. We have the talent to beat anyone so why not. Genuinely think the lads could get to the semis.

As for Danny....that belter against the goonscum has always overridden anything else for me. Bit of a prodigal son, but does sound like he needs to be nearer his family

Fair enough, I doubt Matterazzi gives a shit when he wears his medal about the house!
Exactly. As much as a cunt it would make me, I'd try to find a button to push, then keep pushing it. For what it's worth I think on the field he's a tough fella, he showed this at Stoke this season, when one of the Countries most depressing fanbases booed his every touch for 90mins, he almost looked like he enjoyed it.

I’m going to sound like a cunt but I’m afraid I’m calling bullshit on this. I’ve had depression. Some of my friends and family have had serious depression too. It’s not an excuse for acting like a twat. It may explain some of it but you’re still aware of what’s wrong and what isn’t. It isn’t Alzheimer’s. He knew what he was doing last year and he’s still after a move to United or City. He’s a quality player but he’s also a bit of a twat. My opinion. Could well be wrong. But I’ve seen how certain people react to serious clinical depression at various levels and I personally feel he’s just a frustrated, disingenuous arsehole. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom