Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So should nobody express dissatisfaction with a player because he might, a year down the line, admit to having suffered from depression? Anyway, thankfully Rose’s was short lived and he’s no longer on medication. Good for him.
We see it different joe. You describe the nasty abuse he got as people 'expressing dissatisfaction' whereas I see it as a lot worse. I feel you are sugar coating it & playing down the abuse.
Free speech & all that. Carry on abusing our players unless they admit a mental health problem if you want.
& pretend him getting stitches was him storming off down the tunnel in a mood.
Can't be bothered to go back & forth with you over it all night. We are miles apart. Agree to disagree. Each to their own.

Double agree. We have the talent to beat anyone so why not. Genuinely think the lads could get to the semis.

As for Danny....that belter against the goonscum has always overridden anything else for me. Bit of a prodigal son, but does sound like he needs to be nearer his family
All depends on who we draw but I'm very confident in this squad, there is some grit in this side as well as some talent, probably not enough to see in the latter stages, but every year there is a team that is a rank outsider that clicks at the right time, plays some good stuff and is well prepared (Chile, Iceland etc...).

Let it be known from someone who knows, depression is not a get out of jail free card for bad behaviour.

You aren't getting out of any crimes in a court with that defence.

What it does do is set a context for said behaviour and an understanding of the mindset of those involved. Knowing what we do now, and if his depression is deep, there will have been no one with a lower opinion of Danny than himself. Which is a dangerous thing. He's in a very privileged position in that all the support he could possibly wish to have is accessible.

A good World Cup would help no end.

We see it different joe. You describe the nasty abuse he got as people 'expressing dissatisfaction' whereas I see it as a lot worse. I feel you are sugar coating it & playing down the abuse.
Free speech & all that. Carry on abusing our players unless they admit a mental health problem if you want.
Can't be bothered to go back & forth with you over it all night. We are miles apart. Agree to disagree. Each to their own.
You really are a worm.

Tbf anyone could tell he was in a bad place. He looked like a fat homeless crackhead.

Are we really shocked to hear he was suffering from mental health issues? I don't think so.

More of us should have given him the benefit of the doubt.

Calm down..... He was a bit over weight and his hair had grown out a bit...

We as footy fans from a distance should have recognised his conditions even though those close to him didn't?

Wouldn't have been the first player to cunt us off would he?

Not keen on dwelling on the 'us' aspect of it all at this point, but we were attacked out of the blue... If similar happens in the street the natural reaction isn't to stop and ponder the other's predicament.

....There's no moral highground to be had here. Especially as the majority of the 'forgiveness' he"d previously reveived was on the fickle basis of how good he is at football.

All depends on who we draw but I'm very confident in this squad, there is some grit in this side as well as some talent, probably not enough to see in the latter stages, but every year there is a team that is a rank outsider that clicks at the right time, plays some good stuff and is well prepared (Chile, Iceland etc...).
I like our side but likelihood is a Germany ko stage.

Have I abused Rose apart from immediately after his Sun interview? And what’s all this about stitches? My point was simple enough to understand. You’ve milked the present to make a point about the past that no one knew about. I thought that was cheap.

He's played well this season. Unlike most English people I've come across I like this team, I like the Manager and how he's acted since the day he was appointed. I'm looking forward to watch us play.
Not a young fan. But southgate has surprised me. Not boring & defensive at all. & he isn't afraid to make big decisions or leave out bigger name players. QF would be a decent outcome.

Have I abused Rose apart from immediately after his Sun interview? And what’s all this about stitches? My point was simple enough to understand. You’ve milked the present to make a point about the past that no one knew about. I thought that was cheap.
You are entitled to think what you like. I think its wrong the way a lot abuse our own players like rose, you don't. Let's leave it at that. We see it so different.

“Nobody knows this either, but my uncle [his father’s brother] killed himself in the middle of my rehab, and that triggered the depression as well,” Rose said.

“Off the field there have been other incidents: back home in August my mum was racially abused in Doncaster. She was very angry and upset about it, and then someone came to the house and nearly shot my brother in the face – a gun was fired at my house.''

He's certainly had some year.

Sounds like he'd be better off bringing his family to London than looking to head back up North. Sounds like something out of a T.V. show.

As usual Danny Rose trying to make the story "Danny Rose" ... just before a world cup when the focus should be on the team with no distractions, first we get the 'not safe for my family' then 24 hours later 'my battle with depression' ... no doubt a few Sun 'exclusives' and a book to follow ...

He may well have strong feelings about racial issues in Russia, he may well have suffered from depression, millions of people do ... but now is not the time for the little gob-shite to be a self publicist and go on a press offensive, does he ever think about what's best for his team and country? ....

He's always been 'me - me - me' ... he caused discord at Spurs by ill-timed press comments ... now just prior to a World cup he's at it again ... he would make a perfect addition to the Dippers 'victims' club .....

Edit - Of course the Sun is behind a lot of this, it's not just Danny ....

Last edited:
As usual Danny Rose trying to make the story "Danny Rose" ... just before a world cup when the focus should be on the team with no distractions, first we get the 'not safe for my family' then 24 hours later 'my battle with depression' ... no doubt a few Sun 'exclusives' and a book to follow ...

He may well have strong feelings about racial issues in Russia, he may well have suffered from depression, millions of people do ... but now is not the time for the little gob-shite to be a self publicist and go on a press offensive, does he ever think about what's best for his team and country? ....

He's always been 'me - me - me' ... he caused discord at Spurs by ill-timed press comments ... now just prior to a World cup he's at it again ... he would make a perfect addition to the Dippers 'victims' club .....

Could not agree more. Glad someone else had the nerve to say it. His motivation for doing such an article is open for interpretation - I have my own one personally. "It's Tottenham's and everybody else's fault and not mine. Now sell me to Man Utd or I'll have another tantrum."

I hope he's sold personally. I'm sorry if he has had depression but he's basically saying no-one at the club knows this, which I find hard to believe.

The usual suspects will get on their high horses in response to mine and Bangkok's comments, but that is my personal reading of his comments.

Three days straight of Danny Rose in the headlines.

The thick git doesn't learn, does he?

Regardless of what he's talking about, the last time he got this much publicity he basically ruined his Spurs career.

It almost reads like a list of excuses, in case he has a shit tournament:

My family aren't here you know?
I've had injuries this year you know?
I've had depression this year you know?
I and my family have been racially abused you know?
I've had family drama off the field you know?

Seems quite bizarre to use several different interviews to the push the whole "Woe is me" scenario.

He won't even say "Tottenham" - just "My Club". It comes across as him blaming Tottenham for everything that has happened to him.

Give it a rest, Jesus wept. If you want sympathy, you shouldn't have acted like a cunt. Burnt that bridge.

Last edited:
That's the point. Without knowing the facts people abuse & slag off our players. Its like some are looking for a reason to abuse our own players.
Even when he went off to get stitches, people slagged him off & said he was storming off down the tunnel in a mood & that it was an insult to the club. Now its the same with toby. Giving him abuse without knowing the full facts. & mental health problems are very common & hiding it is too. No need for the abuse he got, mental health or no mental health problem.

You are disgusting piece of s**t.
I don't think I have generally despised anyone in the online forums as much as you on that topic.

HOW THE FUCK dare you to "shove it in our face" and use Spurs players mental health issues FOR RISING YOUR OWN TAIL ?!?! What the fook, are you really so desperate to get bonus points? To be right? To be praised? To be agreed.

In this interview it was highlighted that NO ONE knew about it. And it is without the question that the interview he did was absolute shocker and had bad influence on the team. It was very disrespectful to the club, to the board and to the manager. It would not have been the first time that a footballer thows sh*t at the club. It is not like you should expect that "oh, wait, maybe there are some problems on the attic with this guy"... And for the matter of fact I still do not think that this article fully legitimizes his actions. Like someone said- it is not "get-out-of-jail" card. Even while being at really shitty situation, you should still try to think hard about the impacts that your actions have.

Mental health issues, whilst an explanation for bad behaviour, does not excuse it.

I feel for Danny and hope that he has and continues to get the help he needs. But his actions still stung for the club and for a lot of its fans.

It is very brave of him to come out and speak about it.

Last edited:
Perhaps people might give the lad a break after reading this...

England full-back Danny Rose reveals the story behind battle with depression
Explains quite a lot!
Aaron Lennon is another of our own who fell victim to depression. I'm really looking forward to seeing him back in Europe next season with Burnley. Feels brilliant mentioning Burnley and Europe in the same sentence. Tear it up, Azza!
I do sometimes wonder whether it's a 'Bright lights of London' thing?
Both Rose & Lennon, and let's not forget Gazza before them, left home to come to London at a relatively early age...
I'm not saying London is all bad... I love living here... but it can offer temptation and distraction to those too young or impressionable not to recognise the pitfalls.

That said, the other stuff Rose has mentioned about his uncle and his brother, are clearly nothing to do with London...

Of course there are many other contributary forces at work when it comes to mental illness... I just don't think places like London help sometimes for some of those who may not be ready to live in it's bright glare!

It would be nice to hear him say at least one nice thing about spurs or the fans. Part of being adult is taking full responsibility for your predicament (Not to condone others behaviour, but owning your own power). He still seems light years away from that. Sad.

Back
Top Bottom