Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Explains quite a lot!

I do sometimes wonder whether it's a 'Bright lights of London' thing?
Both Rose & Lennon, and let's not forget Gazza before them, left home to come to London at a relatively early age...
I'm not saying London is all bad... I love living here... but it can offer temptation and distraction to those too young or impressionable not to recognise the pitfalls.

That said, the other stuff Rose has mentioned about his uncle and his brother, are clearly nothing to do with London...

Of course there are many other contributary forces at work when it comes to mental illness... I just don't think places like London help sometimes for some of those who may not be ready to live in it's bright glare!
It doesn't help that both Rose, Lennon and Gazza are all celebrities. How many people have not tried to get close to either in hopes of getting some freebie gifts and perks from being "friends" with a footballer? I'd imagine that they can at times feel very alone in the world

Mental illness knows no class, religion or belief. It invades all walks of life.

Oh god, what if Sol Campbell turns out to have had mental health issues.....
Here we go with the Ridiculous Campbell and rose comparisons, the way some of you are completely disregarding depression and mental health is pretty disgusting In my opinion. Good on Danny for speaking out about it and if that helps some young kid who's going through something similar find his voice and get some help then who gives a fuck if the timing isn't perfect for England's World Cup preparations, there's more to life than football, some of you need to check the stats on suicide in young men.

I would not be surprised if some players were pushed over the edge by comments on players on forums such as this. This is not meant as a flippant comment and adverse comment is expected but some go too far. Persistent adverse comments on players such as Sissoko and Lamela for example. The unjustified comments on Lamela's absence were repeated without a shred of evidence. I just think posters need to remember players are humans with feelings and whilst the player may not read the comment, their family members may do and it can be very distressing. Spurs fans have a history of trying to lift players in distress with the Danny Thomas chants after his penalty miss and this benefits the players to know they have their own fans support.

Fucking hell.

A man gave an interview or two.
Yes it has had repercussions - but that is life. We have all made mistakes. And will make more.

But some of the stuff I have just read is fucking unbelievable tbh. Still judging the man. Let it go.

The reasoning was we don’t know his issues so he got shit. Now we do know his issues.
He gets shit.

Amazing. And not in a good way.

I had friends who left girlfriends/wives and kids behind. Now that’s a proper repercussion. And one I will never truly understand or come to terms with.

Unless you are Danny Rose you have no idea what the fuck he is / was thinking.

Anyway carry on. As you were. I will go get my oversized horse to sit on and take a little gallop.
As someone else has pointed out maybe online forums listening to strangers is not always the place to be.

I would not be surprised if some players were pushed over the edge by comments on players on forums such as this. This is not meant as a flippant comment and adverse comment is expected but some go too far. Persistent adverse comments on players such as Sissoko and Lamela for example. The unjustified comments on Lamela's absence were repeated without a shred of evidence. I just think posters need to remember players are humans with feelings and whilst the player may not read the comment, their family members may do and it can be very distressing. Spurs fans have a history of trying to lift players in distress with the Danny Thomas chants after his penalty miss and this benefits the players to know they have their own fans support.
It's not just in football but in general.

One of the actors on the latest Star Wars films just deleted her entire Internet existence due to "fans" abusing her online for how her character was written.

Just because someone is a celebrity doesn't mean that they don't have feelings too.

I know he's from up North and we signed him from Leeds or somewhere similar, but I've always thought of him as one of our own. And I love it when he's playing well - fast and aggressive. What's not to like?

Whinging about pay and about not signing big names is probably what most of us spend most of our day doing. Only difference is he's getting big bucks already- greedy little so and so. Never mind.

Good luck at the World Cup Danny - rooting for all of our lads.

HOW THE FUCK dare you to "shove it in our face" and use Spurs players mental health issues FOR RISING YOUR OWN TAIL ?!?! What the fook, are you really so desperate to get bonus points? To be right? To be praised? To be agreed.
Oh yes I'am desperate to be liked & agreed with by a bunch of strangers on an internet forum. As if I care what the likes of you think of me. Maybe it's important to you but not me. Also my posts would obviously get a lot of disagrees so there's a big flaw in your logic right there.
As for rose, carry on justifying & condoning the abuse all you want. I am not going to join in with you. Like others, we see the situation very differently so we will just end up with tons of back & forth posts for pointless reasons.
You need to calm down. Stop getting worked up by someone you hate on the internet. It isn't worth it. So for both our sakes I'm going to leave our disagreement there. No need to reply.

Last edited:
As someone who has had someone very close to me suffer from depression and even attempted suicide (all good now). I have the most heart felt sympathy for Danny and hope he gets through it.
It is also understandable that he wanted to move back up North to be with his family after what they had been through.
However lets not forget he slagged the club off in an interview and then only a short while ago backed that up by saying that the words in the original interview was correct and he wasn't sorry for anything he had stated. That is IIRC ? I'm sure I saw a link on here to the second interview ?
In view of this I'm unsure what to think of him, whilst obviously wishing him well in his battle against this illness.

Oh yes I'am desperate to be liked & agreed with by a bunch of strangers on at internet forum. As if I care what the likes of you think of me. Maybe it's important to you but not me. Also my posts would obviously get a lot of disagrees so there's a big flaw in your logic right there.
As for rose, carry on justifying & condoning the abuse all you want. I am not going to join in with you. Like others, we see the situation very differently so we will just end up with tons of back & forth posts for pointless reasons.
You need to calm down. Stop getting worked up by someone you hate on the internet. It isn't worth it. So for both our sakes I'm going to leave our disagreement there. No need to reply.
Worm

I have a lot of time and respect for Danny for having to courage to publicly speak about his depression. I suffered with Post Traumatic Depression after my leg break, something I didn’t realise was as common as it is, and I know it can be hard. It seems he’s suffered a lot more than I did.

Hopefully next season we’ll see him back to his best, with the support of the club and fellow professionals.

The bully pack like mentality on here regarding Rose is alarming.
Is it really that surprising?
He embarrased/shamed and potentially disrupted the club we all deeply love, I'm not saying he should be publicly flogged but surely its understandable that some fans arent gonna forget that
Considering the nature and timing of what he did i think by and large fans have acted well
I've heard his name sung every time he has played since

I'm fine with everything he said in the recent interview up until:

“Things were said and things happened behind the scenes at my club, and I don’t want to go into any detail because I’ll end up being fined again,” he said.

Absolutely no need for that. It's just agitating for a move by implying that Tottenham is some kind of malicious employer.

Blimey wake up ....

This isn't Danny having just given a couple of interviews ... Danny signed a deal with the Sun in August 2017, since then the Sun have been drip-feeding click-bait headlines at prime moments ... like now just days before the world finals cup ... do you think for one minute that, whilst on World Cup duty with the England squad, Danny's been giving daily interviews to the Sun? Not a chance, they've had this primed and ready to go for ages, wouldn't mind betting there's a lot more yet to come out ....

This is some scum editor at the Sun who's exploiting Danny's stupidity in giving them chapter and verse on his personal life, his family life, and his angst at Spurs ....

Does that make Danny innocent? No he's entirely to blame, taking the Sun's filthy shilling is 100% Danny's fault anything that comes from him taking that coin is entirely down to him ...

As far as I can tell nobody on this site is criticizing Danny for his personal issues, his family issues, maybe his footballing issues, but mostly he's being criticized for selling-out to a scum red-top ...

If he wanted to raise awareness around millionaire footballer's depression, going to the Sun was about the worst move possible, lurid headlines and click bait tag-lines, how the feck will that help?

Depression, mental illness, family tragedies ... terrible issue and all very sad ... but dishing the dirt to the Sun, not once but over and over, seriously how did Danny think would that alleviate any of his problems?

I'm fine with everything he said in the recent interview up until:

“Things were said and things happened behind the scenes at my club, and I don’t want to go into any detail because I’ll end up being fined again,” he said.

Absolutely no need for that. It's just agitating for a move by implying that Tottenham is some kind of malicious employer.

Spot on, and for his own well being it might be better for him to move on because his obvious resentment to the club will only fester and grow. I hope whilst in Russia Kyle Walker doesn't show him a recent pay slip!

It would be nice to hear him say at least one nice thing about spurs or the fans. Part of being adult is taking full responsibility for your predicament (Not to condone others behaviour, but owning your own power). He still seems light years away from that. Sad.

I agree. His contempt for us is plain to see and it's obvious from this interview that he still wants a move.

I feel for him regarding his depression and applaud him for coming out. Male mental health is a growing issue and yet it's very rarely discussed in the open. I have personal experience of this.

Still, you would think he'd be better off concentrating on getting back to his best and doing well for England. I also think in a weird way that the person he's betrayed the most is Poch. Imagine if Rose ends up at Man United. Does he really think Jose is going to help him more than Poch?

I am actually so torn on this issue.

From one hand it is sincerely sad to hear any person related to the club suffering. It is brave to come out with that issue and as a human being I wish he would recover from it and all the tentions in the family would be resolved as well.

But from other side - I still have a feeling that this interview was at the same time given with a tone of excuse of the previous season to still smooth the way out of the club. You know, that ManU would think, "Ahwww, the guy had some issues, that's why his performances were subprime, let's give him a try, he is still full Englis national side player!". It might have helped if he would have said really any word about club/teammates/coaches/board supporting his struggles or whatever. But rather I picked up some indirect accusations towards the club.

So I don't know. Maybe to all parties it would be best if some other club would pay market price for him and give fresh start somewhere else? Current situation does not seem to make anyone happy. I mean he even specified that "he will do his best for England" but did not follow it up with "and after that I want to have good season with Tottenham."

Back
Top Bottom