Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don’t think Liverpool are worth “fearing”, but it’s extremely short sighted to not consider them a rival to our aspirations in the coming seasons. We’ve finished above them so often in the last decade, but the gap is now down to two points. Whatever level of investment we both make, it’ll be close again next season.

They had one good tie against City, lucked out in their other group games and got amusingly humiliated against Real.

I take your point about getting to the final but we hear this about Liverpool every year. They’re fucking unbearable. And we have to put up with their dildo mascots in the press, like Mark Lawrenson who, drawing on the power of his joy of sex haircut, has not predicted a single loss for them in two years.
Can only beat what's put in front of you and they weren't humiliated against Real

Don’t think Liverpool are worth “fearing”, but it’s extremely short sighted to not consider them a rival to our aspirations in the coming seasons. We’ve finished above them so often in the last decade, but the gap is now down to two points. Whatever level of investment we both make, it’ll be close again next season.
They sound like Woolwich fans about us a few seasons ago

Ive heard if for a decade, and eight times we’ve finished above them while spending a fraction of their costs, while they operate 200M in debt winning nothing.

So no, I’m not worried about Liverpool. They’ve been outed as a one man team, and you can laud their signings as much a s you want, the fact is none of them have kicked a ball in the PL yet.

Wasn’t the same said about them last year? And the gooners? And Chelsea?

Tired of it mate, we’re the only club to finish top 3 for the last 3 seasons. But everyone else is doing so much better than us supposedly.
Yep agree Sammy. Same people claiming other teams had 'won' the transfer window last year, as they did Woolwich and lets now forget Everton.
When will people learn that just spending lots of money doesn't simply mean another team is improved and won't necessarily do better.

That's not what I'm saying, but you're naive if you don't think of them as a threat. Liverpool now aren't Liverpool eight years ago. They've got in a great manager (like we have) and they completely back him in the market. Liverpool are far from a one-man team, their goals are well spread out between their front 3 and they only conceded 2 goals more than us last season. They've improved massively the last few seasons and they're well in the process of addressing their weaknesses from last season. Personally I haven't said a word about Chelsea or Woolwich as they've been in a downwards spiral for years.
Essentially you're relying on their signings turning out to be shit and for Poch to once again pull a rabbit out of his hat. Wake up
Yes they are a threat and they probably will improve but its only the 10th June. Can we at least wait until the transfer window has finished and we can assess how all the teams have done.

Liverpool overtook us last during the course of the last season - you'd have to be Liverpoolesque Spurs fan not to acknowledge that. They're more prolific than us without having an out and out striker and tightened up massively in defence following the purchase of Van Dijk and have two young and dynamic full backs. The main area of weakness is CM and they are addressing that this window and I'd expect them to buy a goalkeeper not prone to concussion as well.

If I had to bet my house on who'd finish higher it would most certainly be Liverpool at the moment, and we have to spend some serious wonga and get rid of some serious dead weight to change that situation.

Liverpool overtook us last during the course of the last season - you'd have to be Liverpoolesque Spurs fan not to acknowledge that. They're more prolific than us without having an out and out striker and tightened up massively in defence following the purchase of Van Dijk and have two young and dynamic full backs. The main area of weakness is CM and they are addressing that this window and I'd expect them to buy a goalkeeper not prone to concussion as well.

If I had to bet my house on who'd finish higher it would most certainly be Liverpool at the moment, and we have to spend some serious wonga and get rid of some serious dead weight to change that situation.

It’s not that I don’t recognise Liverpool are good. It’s just that people seem to forget how good we are. We finished above them without playing a single game at home. They had all the benefit of Anfield but couldn’t best us (again).

Liverpool have an excellent Plan A but are decidedly average once that goes. And they sold the one player that really could have made a difference. Van Dijk is good but overrated; it’s just that their other defenders have been such dogshit they act like he’s the second coming of Christ.

Who knows though. Maybe next season will be theirs. They’ve been saying it for 30 years so they’ll have to be right at some point.

Yes they are a threat and they probably will improve but its only the 10th June. Can we at least wait until the transfer window has finished and we can assess how all the teams have done.
Waiting until the end of the window to discuss how well the window went for each team sort of defeats the point of the thread no?

Yep agree Sammy. Same people claiming other teams had 'won' the transfer window last year, as they did Woolwich and lets now forget Everton.
When will people learn that just spending lots of money doesn't simply mean another team is improved and won't necessarily do better.
I’ve never seen anyone claim a team has “won” the transfer window. I’ve seen people suggest that teams investing in their squads are more likely to improve than regress. Whilst not always being the case, most success is associated with money spent, so seeing other teams invest should lead people to assume they will improve.

1. We narrowly beat out Liverpool in the prem this past season
2. Liverpool have undoubtedly significantly strengthened so far this window
3. We have only re-signed existing players so far, not “improved” other than existing squad growth
4. Window not close to over, plenty of time for more signings

No reason to panic or feel shitty yet, lots of time left and we will make moves, but seems dumb to suggest Pool aren’t leading the race to have the best xfer window so far.

Liverpools squad improvement probably puts them on par with us.

Wouldn't say they've overtaken us. Fabinho, whilst excellent, could turn out like Bakayoko. He's better than Bakayoko but it's not out of the realms of possibility. Better players have failed in this league.

Keita is great but he'll still be partnered with Henderson who Klopp will likely never drop as he is their captain.

Until they sign a goalkeeper and a centre back. I'm not particularly worried.

Liverpool overtook us last during the course of the last season - you'd have to be Liverpoolesque Spurs fan not to acknowledge that.
This simply isn't true, unless you discount points won and league position.

Here's the Spurs v Liverpool Premier League season broken down into chunks of 5 (note - at matchday 35, Spurs had a game in hand):

MatchdaySpursLiverpool+/-

[TR1][TD1]5[/TD1][TD1]8[/TD1][TD1]8[/TD1][TD]=[/TD][/TR1]
[TR2][TD1]10[/TD1][TD1]20[/TD1][TD1]16[/TD1][TD]+4[/TD][/TR2]
[TR1][TD1]15[/TD1][TD1]25[/TD1][TD1]29[/TD1][TD]-4[/TD][/TR1]
[TR2][TD1]20[/TD1][TD1]37[/TD1][TD1]38[/TD1][TD]-1[/TD][/TR2]
[TR1][TD1]25[/TD1][TD1]48[/TD1][TD1]50[/TD1][TD]-2[/TD][/TR1]
[TR2][TD1]30[/TD1][TD1]61[/TD1][TD1]60[/TD1][TD]+1[/TD][/TR2]
[TR1][TD1]35[/TD1][TD1]68[/TD1][TD1]71[/TD1][TD]-3[/TD][/TR1]
[TR2][TD1]38[/TD1][TD1]77[/TD1][TD1]75[/TD1][TD]+2[/TD][/TR2]

So, the trend for much of the season was actually us closing on Liverpool after matchday 15.

Back
Top Bottom