Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ive heard if for a decade, and eight times we’ve finished above them while spending a fraction of their costs, while they operate 200M in debt winning nothing.

So no, I’m not worried about Liverpool. They’ve been outed as a one man team, and you can laud their signings as much a s you want, the fact is none of them have kicked a ball in the PL yet.

Wasn’t the same said about them last year? And the gooners? And Chelsea?

Tired of it mate, we’re the only club to finish top 3 for the last 3 seasons. But everyone else is doing so much better than us supposedly.
That's not what I'm saying, but you're naive if you don't think of them as a threat. Liverpool now aren't Liverpool eight years ago. They've got in a great manager (like we have) and they completely back him in the market. Liverpool are far from a one-man team, their goals are well spread out between their front 3 and they only conceded 2 goals more than us last season. They've improved massively the last few seasons and they're well in the process of addressing their weaknesses from last season. Personally I haven't said a word about Chelsea or Woolwich as they've been in a downwards spiral for years.
Essentially you're relying on their signings turning out to be shit and for Poch to once again pull a rabbit out of his hat. Wake up

That's not what I'm saying, but you're naive if you don't think of them as a threat. Liverpool now aren't Liverpool eight years ago. They've got in a great manager (like we have) and they completely back him in the market. Liverpool are far from a one-man team, their goals are well spread out between their front 3 and they only conceded 2 goals more than us last season. They've improved massively the last few seasons and they're well in the process of addressing their weaknesses from last season. Personally I haven't said a word about Chelsea or Woolwich as they've been in a downwards spiral for years.
Essentially you're relying on their signings turning out to be shit and for Poch to once again pull a rabbit out of his hat. Wake up
Rabbit out the hat? No we’re better than them and keep proving it.
A few weeks ago you said they had had a massively better season than us.....you banked on them winning the CL. They didn’t and finished below us.
We had a better season.
You always bank on them, but never bank on us.
Still lauding Liverpool’s signings while Fekirs deal is off and Keitas deal could well be investigated for breaching the rules.
Wake up......? Indeed

Last edited:
I'm not scared of Pool but it is naive to think teams who keep throwing money can't eventually get lucky even if it's short term.

3 years ago we finished 3rd. Year after that Chavs spent some money, got lucky with no Europe and climbed above us whilst we finished 2nd.
Then this season, we finish above Chavs yet both Mancs throw enough money to climb above us.

If Pool strengthened their weaknesses it's not unreasonable to believe they could finish above us even if we finished 3rd again. Chavs were midtable mercenies who downed tools one year before going above us. Man Utd were shit and City poor value for money the year before finishing above us. It's not impossible.

BUT For me I'm confident Poch will get what he wants.

He knows exactly what and who Levy is by now and he happily signed the contract.
If we dont sufficiently invest one of two things happens imo
1) Poch is fine with it
2) Poch is not fine with it and LEAVES because promises were broken

Imo 0% chance of 2 happening.

Poch and Kane would not have signed if we didn't have big plans. The smashing of the wage structure is hopefully just the start.

I seriously don't believe Levy would lie to Poch and Kane to get them to sign only to go meek in the market. & I don't believe Poch doesn't want to strengthen significantly. Have faiths lads

I'm not scared of Pool but it is naive to think teams who keep throwing money can't eventually get lucky even if it's short term.

3 years ago we finished 3rd. Year after that Chavs spent some money, got lucky with no Europe and climbed above us whilst we finished 2nd.
Then this season, we finish above Chavs yet both Mancs throw enough money to climb above us.

If Pool strengthened their weaknesses it's not unreasonable to believe they could finish above us even if we finished 3rd again. Chavs were midtable mercenies who downed tools one year before going above us. Man Utd were shit and City poor value for money the year before finishing above us. It's not impossible.

BUT For me I'm confident Poch will get what he wants.

He knows exactly what and who Levy is by now and he happily signed the contract.
If we dont sufficiently invest one of two things happens imo
1) Poch is fine with it
2) Poch is not fine with it and LEAVES because promises were broken

Imo 0% chance of 2 happening.

Poch and Kane would not have signed if we didn't have big plans. The smashing of the wage structure is hopefully just the start.

I seriously don't believe Levy would lie to Poch and Kane to get them to sign only to go meek in the market. & I don't believe Poch doesn't want to strengthen significantly. Have faiths lads

Its naive to think we don’t spend money.
We’ve spent 250M under Poch.

Oh....but we’re not in debt so it doesn’t count, I forgot

Rabbit out the hat? No we’re better than them and keep proving it.
A few weeks ago you said they had had a massively better season than us.....you banked on them winning the CL. They didn’t and finished below us.
We had a better season.
You always bank on them, but never bank on us.
Still lauding Liverpool’s signings while Fekirs deal is off and Keitas deal could well be investigated for breaching the rules.
Wake up......? Indeed
Yeah, I think they've had a massively better season than us, don't you? I never said I was confident of them winning the CL, but being in the Cl final is a massive achievement.
You're acting as if they finished mid table in the league, when in reality they finished two points below us and directly qualified for the cl just as we did. Remember last summer you said you were confident of us winning the league, Onomah would be the next Dele Alli and Lesniak would come in and replace Dembele? In reality we did we got 8 points less than the 16/17 season, conceding more goals and scoring fewer as well.
Now PLEASE explain to me how we had a better season? What do you base that on? Because we domestically we got 2 points more than them? They had a massively better season than we did, there's no way around it.
I noticed you tip-toed around my argument that their goals are well spread out between their front 3 as you said they were a one man team, care to elaborate on that?

If banking on us means delusionally believing we'll win the league every season, then no I do not bank on us. I'm very happy with our team and love a lot of our players. I appreciate how much we've improved in the last few seasons, but if we really want to win silverware we can't afford to rest on our laurels and get complacent. Our opponents are addressing their weaknesses very fast and it looks like we'll be penny pinching once again.

It's all relative pal.

No need for this discussion anyway. We're gona spend and you're gonna love it (eventually). COYS
There's no difference between spend and net spend to Sammy. Imagine you have a car and sell it for 10k and the buy a bicycle for 100 pounds. Sammy will tell you, you spent 100 pounds on improving your means of transportation. In reality under Poch we've seen close to 0 pounds of actual investment in the squad

Yeah, I think they've had a massively better season than us, don't you? I never said I was confident of them winning the CL, but being in the Cl final is a massive achievement.
You're acting as if they finished mid table in the league, when in reality they finished two points below us and directly qualified for the cl just as we did. Remember last summer you said you were confident of us winning the league, Onomah would be the next Dele Alli and Lesniak would come in and replace Dembele? In reality we did we got 8 points less than the 16/17 season, conceding more goals and scoring fewer as well.
Now PLEASE explain to me how we had a better season? What do you base that on? Because we domestically we got 2 points more than them? They had a massively better season than we did, there's no way around it.
I noticed you tip-toed around my argument that their goals are well spread out between their front 3 as you said they were a one man team, care to elaborate on that?

If banking on us means delusionally believing we'll win the league every season, then no I do not bank on us. I'm very happy with our team and love a lot of our players. I appreciate how much we've improved in the last few seasons, but if we really want to win silverware we can't afford to rest on our laurels and get complacent. Our opponents are addressing their weaknesses very fast and it looks like we'll be penny pinching once again.

They had one good tie against City, lucked out in their other group games and got amusingly humiliated against Real.

I take your point about getting to the final but we hear this about Liverpool every year. They’re fucking unbearable. And we have to put up with their dildo mascots in the press, like Mark Lawrenson who, drawing on the power of his joy of sex haircut, has not predicted a single loss for them in two years.

Yeah, I think they've had a massively better season than us, don't you?

Would I have swapped a CL final for third place? - yes. But we could have done the same for the sake of 10 minutes of concentration. I don't 'fear' Lolerpool for a variety of reasons
  • primarily, I think their manager is seriously over-rated
  • they had a lucky CL cup-run last year, they did indeed beat 2 decent teams in the quarters and semis but that was it
  • the fact that their goals were spread between 3 doesn't mean they didn't rely hugely on one man - as others have said, his number's up and he won't be as good again
  • they're miles away from a decent back four - you win nothing without a defence
  • their infrastructure is miles behind us, stadium especially (tho' their overall income is good)
  • their fans really are delusional - although it applies to all of us to some extent - it's like a cult; instead of calmly rebuilding, they expect instant success every year because they believe they're the biggest team on the planet
  • finishing above them 8 years out of 9 is a very significant statistic - it means something profound
I do despise them, but I don't fear them.

What is interesting to me is how little emotion I invest in Woolwich these days - I've just given up caring about what they do. And it would seem that Chavski are in serious trouble too....

There's no difference between spend and net spend to Sammy. Imagine you have a car and sell it for 10k and the buy a bicycle for 100 pounds. Sammy will tell you, you spent 100 pounds on improving your means of transportation. In reality under Poch we've seen close to 0 pounds of actual investment in the squad
Nope.
Just that you spent 100 pounds.

But add all the little extras to make your non point stack up, that’s fine.

Would I have swapped a CL final for third place? - yes. But we could have done the same for the sake of 10 minutes of concentration. I don't 'fear' Lolerpool for a variety of reasons
  • primarily, I think their manager is seriously over-rated
  • they had a lucky CL cup-run last year, they did indeed beat 2 decent teams in the quarters and semis but that was it
  • the fact that their goals were spread between 3 doesn't mean they didn't rely hugely on one man - as others have said, his number's up and he won't be as good again
  • they're miles away from a decent back four - you win nothing without a defence
  • their infrastructure is miles behind us, stadium especially (tho' their overall income is good)
  • their fans really are delusional - although it applies to all of us to some extent - it's like a cult; instead of calmly rebuilding, they expect instant success every year because they believe they're the biggest team on the planet
  • finishing above them 8 years out of 9 is a very significant statistic - it means something profound
I do despise them, but I don't fear them.

What is interesting to me is how little emotion I invest in Woolwich these days - I've just given up caring about what they do. And it would seem that Chavski are in serious trouble too....
I wouldn’t have swapped places with them, being totally honest. We finished 3rd & demolished RM at Wembley - our home away from home with none of the home comforts.
The dippers were totally humiliated by RM and finished 4th.
Our season was pretty damn outstanding imo. Am looking forward to finishing above them again next year.

Back
Top Bottom