Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would have prioritised him over Kane personally. Easily our most important player.

Sorry BC, but what?

I suspect I know what you’re going to say; Eriksen is the heart of the team...our only creative and intelligent attacking player...the key that unlocks the opposition. That’s all true, and he’s certainly one of our key players. However...

Kane is a phenomenon. A homegrown Spurs fan that is quite possibly the best striker on the planet. A striker that is constantly breaking records, gunning for Greaves’ previously considered unobtainable scoring record, smashing in 30+ goals per season, captaining his country and winning the golden ball in his first World Cup...this guy is our talisman, our future captain, and the best thing to happen to Spurs in decades.

You could argue that he wouldn’t score as much without someone with the creativity of Eriksen behind him, but equally Eriksen needs someone in front of him to put the ball in the net, and IMHO there’s few better than Kane.

Kane’s new contract was absolutely the number one priority. He’s the one player in our team who is genuinely irreplaceable.

I would have prioritised him over Kane personally. Easily our most important player.

Our most important perhaps in that we have no replacement for him, though goodness knows our backup situation for Kane isn't perfect.

But we could find 85% of Eriksen in the transfer market a lot easier than we could find 85% of Kane. Utterly complete center forwards are the rarest of breeds in modern football, and we've got the best of them.

Let's keep them both forever. And Dele.

At the moment Eriksen has almost 2 years left on his current contract, so whilst its certainly a very good idea to get him to sign another contract now its not time to panic.

Jan Vertonghen's contract expires at the end of this season, so more a time to panic as he's been the lynchpin of our defence for a few seasons now.

I'd hope to hear that both have signed a new contract within the next couple of weeks for preference.

Sorry BC, but what?

I suspect I know what you’re going to say; Eriksen is the heart of the team...our only creative and intelligent attacking player...the key that unlocks the opposition. That’s all true, and he’s certainly one of our key players. However...

Kane is a phenomenon. A homegrown Spurs fan that is quite possibly the best striker on the planet. A striker that is constantly breaking records, gunning for Greaves’ previously considered unobtainable scoring record, smashing in 30+ goals per season, captaining his country and winning the golden ball in his first World Cup...this guy is our talisman, our future captain, and the best thing to happen to Spurs in decades.

You could argue that he wouldn’t score as much without someone with the creativity of Eriksen behind him, but equally Eriksen needs someone in front of him to put the ball in the net, and IMHO there’s few better than Kane.

Kane’s new contract was absolutely the number one priority. He’s the one player in our team who is genuinely irreplaceable.

Our most important perhaps in that we have no replacement for him, though goodness knows our backup situation for Kane isn't perfect.

But we could find 85% of Eriksen in the transfer market a lot easier than we could find 85% of Kane. Utterly complete center forwards are the rarest of breeds in modern football, and we've got the best of them.

Let's keep them both forever. And Dele.

Sorry, but I disagree. Even last season there was blatant evidence that we are far worse a team without Eriksen than we are without Kane.

And I don't agree that it would be easier to find 85% of Eriksen than it would 85% of Kane. I can think of about 5 forwards who we could put in our team, with Poch's coaching and our system who would easily give us 85% of Kane. Salah, Aguero, Jesus, Lukaku, Aubamayang, Lacazette, all multi faceted and great finishers, and there are others across Europe too.

Finding a player like Eriksen through whom everything good hubs, who scores, assists, pre-assists, dictates how we play, sees more ball per game than most midfielders, presses, covers more ground. He's a forward, a 10 and an 8 in one player. A fuck site harder to find.

At the moment Eriksen has almost 2 years left on his current contract, so whilst its certainly a very good idea to get him to sign another contract now its not time to panic.

Jan Vertonghen's contract expires at the end of this season, so more a time to panic as he's been the lynchpin of our defence for a few seasons now.

I'd hope to hear that both have signed a new contract within the next couple of weeks for preference.

Normally, especially with your most valuable players, the two year phase is the danger zone, a club would either get a new contract or sell, because letting a contract get to 1 year is not good. Value dips, sometimes massively, and you run the risk of a player worth what 80-120m (based on Coutinho) running it down and going for fuck all.

Do not get me wrong, I understand the importance of Kane and he is not just a prolific goal scorer but a totemic figure too, and I understand why the club prioritised his contract, but Eriksen should have been of the same priority at least, even if it wasn’t hailed with the same fanfare.

I really don’t trust a Pochettino to find another Eriksen, he only looks in the “athlete” section of footballers exchange and mart.

And I don't agree that it would be easier to find 85% of Eriksen than it would 85% of Kane. I can think of about 5 forwards who we could put in our team, with Poch's coaching and our system who would easily give us 85% of Kane. Salah, Aguero, Jesus, Lukaku, Aubamayang, Lacazette, all multi faceted and great finishers, and there are others across Europe too.

Finding a player like Eriksen through whom everything good hubs, who scores, assists, pre-assists, dictates how we play, sees more ball per game than most midfielders, presses, covers more ground. He's a forward, a 10 and an 8 in one player. A fuck site harder to find.

If you get to name guys like that who would be both too old and much too expensive to be the kind of players Spurs would target as a transfer replacement for Kane, then I'll counter with Ivan Rakitic and Miralem Pjanic and David Silva.

My heart isn't in this argument. Losing either guy would be a disaster.

I'll just say that after all these years here we are AGAIN failing to bend the knee to the greatness of Harry Kane. He'll score 50 this year for our crimes.

Do not get me wrong, I understand the importance of Kane and he is not just a prolific goal scorer but a totemic figure too, and I understand why the club prioritised his contract, but Eriksen should have been of the same priority at least, even if it wasn’t hailed with the same fanfare.

I really don’t trust a Pochettino to find another Eriksen, he only looks in the “athlete” section of footballers exchange and mart.

I think the bigger issue is the ability to identify players full stop - this window showed that. Scouting network needs looking at. In all of world football, we couldn't find a young Eriksen understudy to bring in this summer?

It's supply and demand ....

There are perhaps a dozen forwards who could replace Kane, sure 100m+ but they are out there .... there are way less midfield players, when Coutinho moves for 140m, and Modric has 500m release clause, what chance would we have of getting one of them?

Bottom line we need Kane, Eriksen and all our other top players .... get the new contract signed

I’m not going to downplay Eriksen, because he’s a vital player for us. I just think Kane would be a hell of a lot harder to replace. Even if we had an open cheque book and our pick of every striker on Earth, I can’t see who we could bring in that would be an improvement.

Lloris would be a lot easier to replace than Kane or Eriksen would be.
I think Kane and Eriksen are like 1a and 1b in terms of importance to the club.

Food for thought: Eriksen might be using us as a stepping stone to Barca or RM whereas Kane has already signed a long-term deal. I think we might be able to find other top CMs who would use us as a stepping stone club, but in my mind it could be impossible to find another top striker who would prioritize staying with us over using us to advance their career elsewhere. I guess this is why I will go with Kane as being more difficult to replace than Eriksen. We'd be in for a massively tough time without either though.

Kane harder to replace, Eriksen the better footballer but easier to replace if you scout the right player in the right part of the world and Lloris easier to replace than the likes of Dele etc. For me Kane, a 30 goal a season striker is gold dust compared to the others but Eriksen is a special player that brings out the best in them

Back
Top Bottom