Unstoppable force (Watford) vs Immovable object (Spurs) Sunday 2 September

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

SOMEONE OUT!

I got the frustration out of my system yesterday and am now in the 'looking for positives' phase. 9 from 12 is alriiiiiight, Liverpool and Chelsea haven't played a decent team yet, and those expecting us to be winning the league on our budget (signings or no) are deluded. We might have plateaued for the time being...

Of course your gonna say that whilst hiding behind a keyboard....why is a different opinion to yours, from another spurs supporrter get that much under your skin...i bet your fun to be around and got lots of mates LMAO...you must be going off on one all day if you react like this to people who support your team. Get a girlfriend or whatever your into and release some of that tension you got built up mate..

Sigh...the good old get a girlfriend trope...you tired wanker..

He was solid, but surely you can't disagree with how much more formidable we would look with a rapid wing back instead of him? The amount of times in a game theres a great ball played to him into space down the left and he cuts inside to traffic is criminal. His crossing is also so hit and miss, the number of times he gets the ball in a good position and just puts his head down and slams it into the opposition first man makes me want to tear my hair out.
Overall its a position we should and could easily upgrade on.
I take all your points right up until “easily”. I don’t think we could easily upgrade without spending a huge amount of money.

SOMEONE OUT!

I got the frustration out of my system yesterday and am now in the 'looking for positives' phase. 9 from 12 is alriiiiiight, Liverpool and Chelsea haven't played a decent team yet, and those expecting us to be winning the league on our budget (signings or no) are deluded. We might have plateaued for the time being...
Everyone is pissed off with the result yesterday, but in fairness Watford have come steaming out of the traps this season.
If someone had offered me 9 points at this point, with 3 away games played, our “home game” back at wembley and one being at OT, I’d have happily taken that.

Not massively unhappy with where we stand right now, but that was an off day for sure.

Going off at a bit of a tangent here, but it could be argued that our lack of signings are actually damaging the squad’s general sharpness.

I’ve always been an advocate of keeping a group of players together and allowing the to grow. That’s why I didn’t really care about the lack of signings. It occurs to me that there’s another aspect of bringing in new players that I hadn’t considered...

Day in, day out, our squad is training with the same players over and over again. That means practicing things like corners against the same players over and over. New blood mixes things up and forces players to adapt to new approaches, and to keep fresh. Obviously every week we’re up against completely different players, but on a daily basis I think new blood can help keep players that little more sharp.
I see where you are coming from with the mixing new players with the old to keep them sharp - different styles of play etc. This would perhaps be the case after a few seasons of no transfer activity, not I think after 1 window and only 8 months after bringing in Lucas Moura.

Long first post incoming...

I think the players have not adapted their mindset this season the way Poch has. He's not wearing the training tracksuit anymore, he wears a suit every game, he is reintegrating all the players who were on the transfer list, he is not sugar-coating his assessment of performances. We are not a young up-and-coming team anymore, we are a top 3 regular and it's time to become serious contenders. It's time to win trophies and not just gloss over defeats and dropped points by saying "massive effort, maybe we deserved more, etc".

Of course we are still not in peak physical condition after the WC but there should still be an intensity to our performances. When a team like Watford just sit there and stand still for 45 minutes like they did in the first half, we should be going all out to kill the game. Poch is absolutely right that the aggression wasn't there, and when Watford eventually decided they would try and win the game we were stuck in flip-flop mode. You can always lose a game of football but you should never lose because of a lack of effort. Was that really the best offensive play we could muster in the first half? Were those two easy headers lost really the best we can expect from 3 top class CBs?

Long-term this silly result might help us but only if the players are serious about competing for the title. It takes blood, sweat and tears to do that. Talking about the title after winning 3-0 at Old Trafford is all well and good but it makes you look like twats when you throw away a win against Watford 6 days later. Like Poch has been saying, perception and reality are often very different and on another day we could have lost all the matches we played this season. In every single one we had the ball hit our woodwork, opponents miss open goals etc. Our current level of performance is not going to be enough, the players must give much more if they want to be contenders.

I think the players have not adapted their mindset this season the way Poch has. He's not wearing the training tracksuit anymore, he wears a suit every game, he is reintegrating all the players who were on the transfer list, he is not sugar-coating his assessment of performances. We are not a young up-and-coming team anymore, we are a top 3 regular and it's time to become serious contenders. It's time to win trophies and not just gloss over defeats and dropped points by saying "massive effort, maybe we deserved more, etc".

Of course we are still not in peak physical condition after the WC but there should still be an intensity to our performances. When a team like Watford just sit there and stand still for 45 minutes like they did in the first half, we should be going all out to kill the game. Poch is absolutely right that the aggression wasn't there, and when Watford eventually decided they would try and win the game we were stuck in flip-flop mode. You can always lose a game of football but you should never lose because of a lack of effort. Was that really the best offensive play we could muster in the first half? Were those two easy headers lost really the best we can expect from 3 top class CBs?

Long-term this silly result might help us but only if the players are serious about competing for the title. It takes blood, sweat and tears to do that. Talking about the title after winning 3-0 at Old Trafford is all well and good but it makes you look like twats when you throw away a win against Watford 6 days later. Like Poch has been saying, perception and reality are often very different and on another day we could have lost all the matches we played this season. In every single one we had the ball hit our woodwork, opponents miss open goals etc. Our current level of performance is not going to be enough, the players must give much more if they want to be contenders.

Welcome...really enjoyed this post...one thing tho you didn't mention sissoko and Bazali Bazali loves sissoko! Keep him happy!

Maybe, like Eriksen , he's disillusioned with our embarrising lack of ambition in the summer transfer window. Maybe, maybe not.
I'm just putting it out there.

Runs for cover
Personally I blame Jacques Santini's lack if transfer activity for our current plight!!!

There are actually some cracking transfers in there:

Paul Robinson Leeds United £1,400,000[6]
28 May Márton Fülöp MTK Budapest undisclosed[7]
8 July Pedro Mendes Porto £2,000,000[8]
9 July Sean Davis Fulham £3,000,000[9]
31 July Erik Edman Heerenveen undisclosed[10]
7 August Timothée Atouba Basel undisclosed[11]
12 August Noureddine Naybet Deportivo La Coruña £700,000[12]
24 August Michael Carrick West Ham United £3,500,000[13]
31 August Reto Ziegler Grasshopper [14][15]
25 August Noé Pamarot

Now they were some good times when we were happy to win any of our first 4 games!

Nope. Didn't say that. I said I wouldn't drop him.

Like I already said, depending on formation, yes Winks.... Lamela too... Son will be back after the international break (or thereabouts)... What are you struggling to understand here?

Don't be so precious, I challenged your posts; I'm not idly throwing about insults or being 'mean'.

I know... And I'm challenging your point cos a) I disagree and b) I feel it's mere opportunism on your part.

You don't? ..Luckily, I'm happy to explain:

....You were making out Lallana & Ox represent some kind of enviable depth compared to Lamela/Son or Lamela/Lucas. That's bogus and makes a mockery of the point you're attempting to reinforce.

Added 'waffle-points' for the fact that Lallana, Ox & Keita wouldn't replace Mane or Firminho in their front 3 anyway.

So your premise is that we have strength in depth and competition for places?

Mine is that we don't.

I forgot all about Sturridge! If Mane and Firmino have four bad games on the trot they are in serious danger of being dropped. Eriksen isn't because there is no-one to replace him (Winks/Lamela - give me a break, you'll be saying that Sissoko could do a job!)

Last edited:
Play this game another ten times and we win nine of them ... we have a fantastic record against mid-table sides hopefully this was just a one-off ....
Thing is, we HAVE!
This was the first time they've beaten us in the PL, and yet always manage to make it feel as if they're OUR bogey team!
Yesterday really was the 1/10 game they win against us!

Hard to blame Poch ... the team he put out had 66% possession created more chances just failed to execute ... we were always going to have loads of the ball we just didn't do enough with it ... to many players had a 'meh' day Poch is probably spitting feathers ...

We missed Son / Lamela to come on and win the game .... that's just bad timing and probably won't happen again all season ....

Credit to Watford, full pre-season with the entire squad all together, then played the same 11 four times out of the gate ... that's a big advantage and they've made it count ....

Play this game another ten times and we win nine of them ... we have a fantastic record against mid-table sides hopefully this was just a one-off ....

I hope so, and that it’s not a case of Poch trying to keep his 3 centre backs happy and, in the process, not steeling up our midfield when it’s needed.

Everyone is pissed off with the result yesterday, but in fairness Watford have come steaming out of the traps this season.
If someone had offered me 9 points at this point, with 3 away games played, our “home game” back at wembley and one being at OT, I’d have happily taken that.

Not massively unhappy with where we stand right now, but that was an off day for sure.

I'm gonna try looking at it in the only positive way I can think of right now...
Reverse our last 2 results; ie: we LOST at OT but WON yesterday!
Points-wise, we're still on 9 points, (and remember, Man Utd would've ALSO been on 9 after yesterday, but they're not!) with 2 results most people would've expected.

Thing is, we've simply had TWO unexpected results in our last 2 games... but (as Eric Morecambe once said) not necessarily in the right order!

I'm gonna try looking at it in the only positive way I can think of right now...
Reverse our last 2 results; ie: we LOST at OT but WON yesterday!
Points-wise, we're still on 9 points, (and remember, Man Utd would've ALSO been on 9 after yesterday, but they're not!) with 2 results most people would've expected.

Thing is, we've simply had TWO unexpected results in our last 2 games... but (as Eric Morecambe once said) not necessarily in the right order!

I think as fans we need to let go of that mindset, the mindset of a 4th placed team, there are no positives when you lose a game in this manner. To contend for the title you cannot accept results like that. We have never lost to Watford in the PL before and at 1-0 with 20 minutes remaining we shouldn't have lost yesterday. 20 minutes of hard work and we would have 12 points instead of 9.

It was 3 points thrown away and throwing away points is not something contenders do. We have to stop thinking of ourselves as plucky overachievers and start behaving like a big team.

Janssen still in the squad if I’m not mistaken without a loan.
So two reserve strikers we find to be inadequate yet didn’t look at one in the window...

And I think Janssen offers more than Llorente

Personally think Ben is fine at left back but seems to need to play week in week out to be fully focussed and physically sharp. Rotation doesn't help him...
He is ok and has played well at times but more my point is that some think we can never improve by spending occasionally on quality . I feel we have a couple of positions that could/need upgrading if we want more than top4 . Others believe it's impossible to improve by trying to spend on the odd player unlike the whole football world . They would believe you could reinvent the wheel .

It's impact mate. The impact of the result more than anything.

It is better to have 8 points and not have lost at this stage than 9 and lost one for me. Shows durability.

We messed up when being top was there for the taking.

There is talk of Eriksen and Alli not being at their best (correct) and Kane nor having gis sharpness as yet (again correct) but we had the lead and should not have lost.

Lets hope it is just a blip but no the doubts creep in about the squad and the continued concerns remain about mentality.

Back
Top Bottom