Man Citeh (Away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are we looking at when he was sold, or when he left? He was sold under VB, but he left under Harry.

To blame say AVB was responsible because he just happened to turn up a few days before the deal was done is ridiculous.

Harry left 13th June

AVB joined July 3rd

Modric joined Real August 27

:chicco:

What is more sickening than our form is the moaning. People claiming we should have played 4-4-2 against city and the Ethiad are crazy. Even Redknapp thought 4-4-2 left us too open. Also, the scapegoating of AVB and Dempsey is tiresome. The entire team was shit today except Adebayor, Sandro, and perhaps Caulker. Yet, no one mentions how terrible Bale and Lennon were.

Our fundamental problem is our inability to hold the ball. We have didn't have a single player who protects the ball at the moment. Dembele is the player we need plus another midfielder another CM in the window. Sammy, AVB didn't have a single thing to do with our transfer window. He wanted Moutinho and Willian and got Dempsey instead because he was the cheap option. Levy is the bank and DOF he makes all the final decisions, there is a reason him and Redknapp didn't get on too and it was Levy's cheapness in the transfer market.

We are simply lacking in talent to go compete in open play with City at the Etihad regardless of formation. Our healthy first team is excellent but having to play Huddlestone every game, Vertonghen at LB, no legitimate alternative to Lennon/Bale, and dealing with the shit platoon of Dempsey and Siggurdson doesn't give AVB a bunch of options. We need to get healthy and buy creative players, that is our problem.

Funny how people argued til they were blue in the face the other day that it wasnt a 442 against Maribor despite Ade and Defoe playing. They said it was 4411, or even a 451, because Ade was so deep helping the midfield.

So why couldnt we play this again at City? Why play Dempsey?

MKYid said:
Are we looking at when he was sold, or when he left? He was sold under VB, but he left under Harry.

To blame say AVB was responsible because he just happened to turn up a few days before the deal was done is ridiculous.​
SammySpurs said:
Harry left 13th June

AVB joined July 3rd

Modric joined Real August 27

You highlighted the wrong bit...fixed it for you.

An aside:

Can I just say that City fans are a shadow of their former selves? Watching the game for the second time now on dvr and they are spiteful, almost sounds like a derby atmosphere. Every mistake we made was met with sarcastic cheers, and why they wish ill on Adebayor makes no sense to me. Do they really love Mancini so much to suggest he's never made a mistake in his man management? The money has changed the team, but also seems its changed that whole scene. The joke about Chelsea fans switching their allegiance to City is old and tired but where are all these miserable cunts coming from? When I started watching English football I loved their fans. "We're not really here," "Fans of the invisible man," inflatables and all that. Can't just be the money can it?

Completely agree their fans have turned into complete cunts - 40,000 people trying to ref the game!

Another aside:

How have they not yet signed a better centre midfielder than Gareth Barry?! It's absolutely baffling.

MKYid said:

To blame say AVB was responsible because he just happened to turn up a few days before the deal was done is ridiculous.

You highlighted the wrong bit...fixed it for you.

So you still maintain 7.5 weeks is a few days?

Does it really matter who was the manager when Modric left? He was going to go either way. He probably would have gone had Sir Bill himself been in charge.

Does it really matter who was the manager when Modric left? He was going to go either way. He probably would have gone had Sir Bill himself been in charge.

In a way it does matter. Ive stated that I dont blame AVB, simply recognise that as manager, I believe he and Levy share a responsibility for signings and sales.

Not sure what caused the hysterics to be honest

Having watched the game once in full and extended highlights, there is a lot to be taken from that match; our defensive organisation was, for long periods of time, disciplined and we looked like we had been training to keep the shape that would nullify City's movement. The fact remains that there is only so much you can do against a player of Silva's ability and the resources they are able to call upon.

The trouble was our shocking attacking play. It wasn't as if we didn't have opportunities but each time chose the wrong pass, opted to shoot when numerically advantaged or shanked the ball out when attempting simple passes out wide.

Rarely have I seen Spurs be so profligate in possession but worse, rarely did I ever feel we were going to change. I have said before, as many others have, I'm sure, that Adebayor can play the same position that Dempsey (apparently) plays. As an aside, has a game passed a player by quite so much as yesterdays did Dempsey (yes, Chelsea)?

Adebayor drops so deep, drifts out wide that is often to the detriment of our threat in the box, why not try Defoe and Adebayor in that shape for our next home game?

Finally, Vetonghen's knock is what contributed to us losing but individual errors, again, are undermining the collective effort. Yesterday, having defended so well, Walker has a brain fart, leaves his position (which, left the entire right side open) to gift Aguero possession....if these are to be our undoing then I don't know if it can be labelled poor coaching or lack of awareness on the players behalf but they must be ironed out.

In a way it does matter. Ive stated that I dont blame AVB, simply recognise that as manager, I believe he and Levy share a responsibility for signings and sales.

Not sure what caused the hysterics to be honest
Are you really suggesting it was somehow in AVB's power to stop Modric going to Real Madrid after he arrived?
I know he's one charismatic mofo, but come on.

If AVB is building a team why the fuck doesnt Lloris start?

Yes I know Brad hasnt done anything wrong but.......

Defoe scored a hatrick and got dropped.

If AVB is building a team why the fuck doesnt Lloris start?

Yes I know Brad hasnt done anything wrong but.......

I wonder the same thing every week.
At least dropping Defoe has a rationale that, even if you don't agree with it, you can understand.

Maybe Lloris is the opposite of those players who 'train well' (like Dempsey, it seems), and he's constantly dropping easy catches in practice.

An aside:

Can I just say that City fans are a shadow of their former selves? Watching the game for the second time now on dvr and they are spiteful, almost sounds like a derby atmosphere. Every mistake we made was met with sarcastic cheers, and why they wish ill on Adebayor makes no sense to me. Do they really love Mancini so much to suggest he's never made a mistake in his man management? The money has changed the team, but also seems its changed that whole scene. The joke about Chelsea fans switching their allegiance to City is old and tired but where are all these miserable cunts coming from? When I started watching English football I loved their fans. "We're not really here," "Fans of the invisible man," inflatables and all that. Can't just be the money can it?

I didn't get that, they had a massive banner with 'We're not really here' what's that about???

They were furious at the ref at nearly every decision even though you could clearly see their players were kicking ours all over the place. The jeers you heard could have come from us, they claimed handball (looked like it was from my position, haven't seen a replay) so we shouted 'handball!' mockingly after every pass for a while. Then it went back and forth every mistake made from whatever team.

Rarely have I seen Spurs be so profligate in possession but worse, rarely did I ever feel we were going to change. I have said before, as many others have, I'm sure, that Adebayor can play the same position that Dempsey (apparently) plays. As an aside, has a game passed a player by quite so much as yesterdays did Dempsey (yes, Chelsea)?

Adebayor drops so deep, drifts out wide that is often to the detriment of our threat in the box, why not try Defoe and Adebayor in that shape for our next home game?
Finally, Vetonghen's knock is what contributed to us losing but individual errors, again, are undermining the collective effort. Yesterday, having defended so well, Walker has a brain fart, leaves his position (which, left the entire right side open) to gift Aguero possession....if these are to be our undoing then I don't know if it can be labelled poor coaching or lack of awareness on the players behalf but they must be ironed out.
Some of us have been saying this for weeks. It stinks of the obvious when you consider how shite Dempsey has so far been.

I don't think that it'sany conincidence that in the one game Ade and Defoe started together Defoe managed a hat trick. Quite simply keeping Dempsey on at the moment is like playing with ten men. Ade, even if he doesn't score, adds more to a 4-4-1-1 than a Dempsey/Defoe or Dempsey/Ade combination does. "Duece" needs to sit it out until he and the coaching staff can work out what going wrong. This idea that AVB has that he should stay on the park for 90mins every week despite being shockingly bad, while Ade and Defoe have to take turns, is something I just cannot grasp the logic of.

Defoe also had scored on once in 8 games before that hattrick.

Defoe is a player who can get you loads of goals, but never in the biggest games at the most crucial times. He tends to bottle it when you need him the most. Plus, he is a selfish goal machine. Every ball he gets he'll try to find a way to score with it and do very little else. Ade provides much more to team play and can hold the ball up a lot better. It's not really surprising that AVB is beginning to see this. It's also nice to see competition for places as we all know how lazy Defoe can get when he thinks he's an auto-starter.

Having said that, I do think that Ade has the ability to provide Defoe with a great many more assists than Dempsey is and so I think Ade and Defoe together provides a significantly higher threat than keeping Dempsey on all the time.

Are you really suggesting it was somehow in AVB's power to stop Modric going to Real Madrid after he arrived?
I know he's one charismatic mofo, but come on.

No Im not suggesting that he could have stopped Modric leaving.

This is what I believe. One last time. People can read this, and all my answers on this issue are below.

I believe that Levy waited til AVB was appointed before making any decisions on the sale of Modric. I think thats a good thing, as I believe they work together, and that such a massive decision needed to be discussed with the new manager.

I believe that AVB outlined Mountinho as his main target, very early on in the window, and I think the club were pretty confident about being able to sign him. He clearly wanted to play under AVB.

This leads me to believe that between AVB and Levy, a decision was made to sell Modric, and sign Moutinho. IMO, that is a shared responsibility between AVB and Levy.

For whatever reason, the deal fell through.

I am not blaming anyone for the deal falling through.

I am not blaming anyone for selling Modric.

I have simply said that he was sold while AVB was manager (nearly two months as manager), and that there are only two people at the club that can be responsible for that. AVB and Levy.

I do not believe Levy sold him over AVBs head, or before AVB arrived.

I do not think that saying someone is partly responsible for something is the same as blaming or laying fault.

If that is too ambigous or upsetting, or you see that as blaming AVB for selling Modric, or its me saying I know things behind the scenes, or I think Im better than anyone else, or I think I always have to be right, or I cant accept anyone elses opinion, or Im contradicting myself, and being arrogant and argumentative, or wanting AVB out, or slating the manager, or ruining the forum, or if anyone wants to smash me up with a baseball bat, or meet me at the next game and do me in, or Im below their level, or they want to put me on the ignore list.........Then fine. I really dont care.

I wonder the same thing every week.
At least dropping Defoe has a rationale that, even if you don't agree with it, you can understand.

Maybe Lloris is the opposite of those players who 'train well' (like Dempsey, it seems), and he's constantly dropping easy catches in practice.

I think the concern with Lloris is the language barrier and allowing him time to settle in.

I'd prefer it if we just played our best available players though.....

Some of us have been saying this for weeks. It stinks of the obvious when you consider how shite Dempsey has so far been.

I don't think that it'sany conincidence that in the one game Ade and Defoe started together Defoe managed a hat trick. Quite simply keeping Dempsey on at the moment is like playing with ten men. Ade, even if he doesn't score, adds more to a 4-4-1-1 than a Dempsey/Defoe or Dempsey/Ade combination does. "Duece" needs to sit it out until he and the coaching staff can work out what going wrong. This idea that AVB has that he should stay on the park for 90mins every week despite being shockingly bad, while Ade and Defoe have to take turns, is something I just cannot grasp the logic of.

Agree 100%, I'm also having similar problems with Gallas' selection.

Brian Earp commented yesterday "We look like a side afraid to play.." which I think pretty much sums it up, highlighting the difference with the previous management regime.

Back
Top Bottom