Man Citeh (Away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree 100%, I'm also having similar problems with Gallas' selection.

Brian Earp commented yesterday "We look like a side afraid to play.." which I think pretty much sums it up, highlighting the difference with the previous management regime.

I don't think they are afraid to play. Look at ades flick for Hudd what a goal that would have been. We are just missing the players with the ability to force the play. Dembeld would have made a difference yesterday.

That was the final nail in Dempsey's coffin for me. Completely useless.

Kyle Walker is a shadow of the player he was last year.

I love Ade.

City fans are utter shite. Sang for 5 minutes after their second and that was it.

Doing the Poznan was a good laugh.

Someone a couple of rows in front of me tried to get 'Lets pretend we scored a goal' going. Anyone from here?

I don't think they are afraid to play. Look at ades flick for Hudd what a goal that would have been. We are just missing the players with the ability to force the play. Dembeld would have made a difference yesterday.

I agree with that, but I do think there is a reservation/lack of confidence int he side.

Its like they are willing to play, but to not fully commit to it.

Im hoping its due to a lack of quality through injury, or perhaps a necessary teething stage while the new ideas are implemented, but honestly I just dont know.

In the case of Defoe and Adebayor, I think the it all comes down to the fact that they are the only two strikers we have. We can't keep playing them together because if one goes down we are down to one striker. We don't have that luxury to play both of them all the time even though it may be the best formation. Hopefully things will change in January

In the case of Defoe and Adebayor, I think the it all comes down to the fact that they are the only two strikers we have. We can't keep playing them together because if one goes down we are down to one striker. We don't have that luxury to play both of them all the time even though it may be the best formation. Hopefully things will change in January
Can't "keep" playing them together?

We've only played them once together!

So what if one gets injured? If one gets injured then we'd have to play with Dempsey behind a lone striker.....you know, kinda like we are already doing! :baletroll:

Level 2 you say?

:gallashmm:

remind me how many times you saw a Spurs player run into their box with the ball at his feet..........

takes a bit of thinking about, doesn't it?

Which Dembele are you thinking about, there seems to be 2 -one who plays for fun, and the one who gets the same gear that Dempsey's doing.
I guess there are 3 now, Anderton Dembele as well.

remind me how many times you saw a Spurs player run into their box with the ball at his feet..........

takes a bit of thinking about, doesn't it?

Which Dembele are you thinking about, there seems to be 2 -one who plays for fun, and the one who gets the same gear that Dempsey's doing.
I guess there are 3 now, Anderton Dembele as well.

Cheerful fucker aren't you. I seem to remember both Adebayor AND Bale running at City players on several occasions. You need to realise we were playing the current champions, and that their team is better than ours. We aren't exactly going to stroll into their penalty area and slip one passed Hart.
Spurs did not seem afraid of them at all. And I don't think they have been afraid of anyone all season, certainly not United when Bale and Vertonghen both dribbled into the box AT OLD TRAFFORD and scored. Though that was a positive so you like won't remember that will you.

And are you really saying Dembele has had a poor performance for us this season? which game?

As usual you are talking UTTER bullshit.

Villas-Boas believes Adebayor was the right choice up front, as he offered a physical threat against City's back four, but is disappointed to have ended the game empty-handed.
"The plan before the game was to try and hold on to the ball a bit more, to have possession and try to connect up and link the wingers," he told Sky Sports.
"It was difficult because Manchester City's line was very high and they pushed us very well, so it was difficult to make that second pass in the link up play.
"In the end, he (Adebayor) had a positive impact regarding the structure we put together. It's a pity we didn't get a result in the end."

We're we ever likely to by time the second half was 2 minutes old?

Cheerful fucker aren't you. I seem to remember both Adebayor AND Bale running at City players on several occasions. You need to realise we were playing the current champions, and that their team is better than ours. We aren't exactly going to stroll into their penalty area and slip one passed Hart.
Spurs did not seem afraid of them at all. And I don't think they have been afraid of anyone all season, certainly not United when Bale and Vertonghen both dribbled into the box AT OLD TRAFFORD and scored. Though that was a positive so you like won't remember that will you.

And are you really saying Dembele has had a poor performance for us this season? which game?

As usual you are talking UTTER bullshit.

Funny you should say that, as I am an irrepressably cheerful chap, thanks for noticing.
I'm not an ignoramus, which seems to set me apart from you - something I am happy about.

I was talking about the city game, and yet you (for some bizarre reason) seem to think you can counter the argument with memories of the united game - how does that work? Can I quote incidents from the 67 cup final to make my point?
I remember positives, like when we had Bale and lennon, given the ball in space and time to run at defences, and my point was that its a struggle to remember when they did that AND RAN INTO THEIR PENALTY AREA, STILL IN POSSESSION OF THE BALL, against city - who, you may be delighted to learn, I was aware are the current holders of the league title.
They are also recognised as being a shadow of the team they were last season, particularly defensively - yet our team seemed reticent about going at them, in the way that we know they can - with the players we have at our disposal. You may recall maribor and Wigan doing the same to us, despite (on paper) having vastly inferior sides.
I can recall Dembele having some ordinary performances for us this season, a casual skim through my post will confirm that I didn't say poor - although I agree that equating some of his performances to Dempseys was OTT. Neither of the QPR or Villa games were particularly outstanding displays, competent and quietly effective, without ever being inspirational. If however you see him as the messiah, then good luck to you, and your lofty aspirations.

If you believe my opinions to be bullshit, then fuck knows what kind of hogwash you are prepared to swallow. My recommendation would be to put it on your rhubarb though.

He's right though, City's tactics didn't help and they stopped us playing our game. The fact they set up in fear of us is saying something no??

I think we have different recollections of the game, I am struggling to remember where they did anything tactically spectacular, apart from being rude enough not to let us play with the ball for very long, before taking it back off us and trying to score again.

What did you have in mind?

I think we have different recollections of the game, I am struggling to remember where they did anything tactically spectacular, apart from being rude enough not to let us play with the ball for very long, before taking it back off us and trying to score again.

What did you have in mind?

They pressed high up the pitch. Our centre backs didn't have time to pick out passes, always hounding us in possession. This is why we panicked on the ball a lot more than normal. They even changed formation in the second half which stifled any threat we had down the wings. Kolarov played as an "attacking" player when really he's a left back so they could double up on Lennon when we had the ball. When you force the opposition into longer passes there is more chance of losing the ball I would suggest.

Everyone has mentioned how our ball retention wasn't up to standard, just possibly the above could explain why.

Back
Top Bottom