Tottenham v Man.City 29/10/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I mean how often has poch actually changed his tactics to cope with other teams? Real Madrid? Don't remember too many other occasions. Having said that, city are adept are tearing through teams that press or sit back so I'm not sure it'll matter too much. They get like 4-5 players in the box when teams sit back. Watch the goals from some of their games against shit teams. Wish we'd do the same, but instead we tend to play around the box with only Harry in there.

The three that instantly come to mind are Woolwich away in his first season and then Dortmund and Real Madrid in the Champions League last season.

There have been times where changing tactics and personnel mid game have changed games for us and we've ended up winning because of it but in terms of going into the game with a clear game plan to halt the opposition, it's a rarity.

What will likely cost us today is playing out the back needlessly.

I know we do, but I’ve seen plenty of people say it will give us an advantage. To play our best football we need the best possible surface.
Sorry Joe, wasn't implying "you" personally, should have mentioned that in my post fella.

Yeah, I find it odd, a shit pitch will affect how we play as much as it does City. A key to this game will be who can adapt to it faster I guess.

I know we do, but I’ve seen plenty of people say it will give us an advantage. To play our best football we need the best possible surface.

Agree with this.

Whereas I don't think City need the best possible surface to cause us problems. Silva and de Bruyne are more than capable of knocking the ball high between our centre backs and slow full backs for the likes of Sane/Sterling to run onto. It's a ball that has caused us problems plenty of times over the last few years.

The pitch will be used as an excuse if City lose - but it won't be the reason any team loses tonight. Quality will prevail.

Kevin Friend is the ref and Spurs are unbeaten in 12 games across all competitions when he's been the man in the middle, some may say the 47-year-old is a lucky charm.

Kevin Friend is the ref and Spurs are unbeaten in 12 games across all competitions when he's been the man in the middle, some may say the 47-year-old is a lucky charm.

Man City are unbeaten in their last 14 games across all competition when he's refereed..

Draw it is.

I think people saying a shit pitch benefits us is because they're looking at a draw being the most attainable positive result for us. Because a bad pitch will nullify their attack as much as ours, it's not as though we're well built for hoofing and playing for set pieces.

I'm not in agreement with it, but see it as a reflection of the pre-match expectations. It's a bit "little Spurs", the idea that a draw is good for us and bad for them...still reflective of the role of pretenders we're continually cast into. A shit pitch benefits no one, certainly not us as turning over City at home is something our title challenge really needs if it is to get rolling in earnest.

The only teams I have seen in recent memory that have taken it to City are teams that press the hell out of them. Can we do that? Yes we can and we should. Sitting and countering will allow them to pick us apart imo

It’s only viable if we are really going to go at them ferociously and do it properly, be relentless, and we haven’t been that team for a couple of years.

That’s what we’ve tried to do last 4 games against them and failed miserably. It’s been a half arsed press that they’ve walzed through.

I think there is an argument for a more tactically pragmatic approach, like the way we played against Liverpool at Wembley last season, or even Real Madrid at Wembley last season.

Or the way Liverpool played against us or them this season.

The half arsed high press is ManC’s wet dream.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure on how we should approach this game really.. I'd say the best thing to do would be to press the shit out of them, though I can't really see us doing that in an intensity as e.g. Liverpool did against them. Worst thing we can do is play the ball around the back for ages and ages, trying to tiki-taka our way into midfield. City is gonna attack our defenders and we're prone to making stupid errors there when under pressure.
I'm not too optimistic for today as City never seems to suit us but if we can put in a great performance without unnecessary errors, we can definitely get something out of this game. I'd take a draw but hope for a scratchy win.

I'm not too sure on how we should approach this game really.. I'd say the best thing to do would be to press the shit out of them, though I can't really see us doing that in an intensity as e.g. Liverpool did against them. Worst thing we can do is play the ball around the back for ages and ages, trying to tiki-taka our way into midfield. City is gonna attack our defenders and we're prone to making stupid errors there when under pressure.
I'm not too optimistic for today as City never seems to suit us but if we can put in a great performance without unnecessary errors, we can definitely get something out of this game. I'd take a draw but hope for a scratchy win.

Good points rasied here:

SIssoko would work really well.

No mate, just someone hates with a passion NFL and will rip it for all its worth.

Agree, it's a fucking shit sport.

Woo hoo, throw a ball twenty yards whilst wearing a crash helmet. Then discuss it for 10 minutes.

I like America and most Americans in general I have met have been sound, but bloody hell their national sports are designed for simpletons. Big lanky guys taking two strides to put a ball in the hoop, rounders or NFL.

Got some good golfers though and their rugby union team is catching Canada up.

Anyway, shit day at work, now leaving for Wembley after saying post Cardiff I was done with that stadium.......2-0 Spurs, Kane and lamela, pep to blame the pitch, me to cheer up after my 3rd pint tonight as I am not on driving duty

Hope the lads show up - all I’m asking for
If they do, we will give City a helluva game. They ain’t invincible and if we press the fuck out of them & not give them a seconds peace, they won’t like it. Sit back & it will be a procession. Am just gutted that we have to play Wham within 48 hours. But turn these fuckers over tonight & I wont be too upset whatever happens on Wednesday.
Sorry SouthStand Billy SouthStand Billy
:pochbye:

Back
Top Bottom