Tottenham v Man.City 29/10/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Correct to a degree mate but we lack inspiration.

Where is our spark, our player that transcends games like tonight, the player the opponent and their manager fears?

At present we are a good side but look largely predictable and impotent when up against the very best teams.

Only transfers can change that although the boost of returning to a real home might create an atmosphere that acts like our 12th man.

No complaints tonight.

On the bench?

Eriksen, Alli, Son when fit would probably start.

Kane was on the field and did some good things and some not so good.

On the wider point I do agree we need inspiration. We need a player to join who straight away raises the level like Van der Vaart did in Harry's side.

Just back from pub. Not read through any of the thread, but I thought we were pretty fucking useful tonight after a fucking abysmal start. Trippier was dogshit (& I am a fan of his) and really needs to go back to basics. That header, followed by the most half hearted chase to rectify it was the stuff of nightmares. He did so little that approached acceptable tonight.

Sissoko (apart from his usual clumsy, riderless racehorse moments) was really, really good. He pressed well and got stuck in. Sacred the fuck out of them. If he could add even a tiny amount of guile to his effort, then he’d be a great asset on a regular basis. But he impressed me tonight overall.

Kane is really looking out of sorts. Heavy touch, dropping too deep, too often. There is something not quite right. Its fine measures, but the “real” Harry Kane terrorises that defence (Mendy was there to be destroyed) & come away from the game with a goal or 2.

Problem with having one of the worlds best strikers is that when he demands to play every game, you have to point to viable alternatives if you want to rest him. And he looks like he needs a rest to me.

On the upside, we are much closer to them than last season.

He's there because he was our back up right back when Walker was here, worked hard and took his chance when given a run in the team. Simple as that. I imagine the World Cup also clouded Pochs judgement a bit, like it seemed to do with every other person in the country. If Walker never left us, Trippier would have been gone by now.

You're not going to change my mind on Trippier. I've said I'll praise him when he plays well, but my thoughts on him as a ridiculously average full back isn't going to change. He can't defend for shit. He rarely beats a man and relies on his technique to survive at the top level, despite not actually being good enough overall to play for a team in the top 6. The ultimate stats over subtance player.

What's sad is that no one was surprised when Trippier made the fuck up.

Stats are substance, it’s opinions that are flaky. How can the guy who is productively the best in his league be average?

Walker and Aurier are physically better, but It’s not like you haven’t seen Walker make mistakes, or Aurier, the difference is they are bang average in middle and forward areas.

Trippiers got weaknesses but so have all the other RB’s at top 6 teams. You find us a better RB for the way we play and you’ve almost certainly found the best one in this league.

I’m not blind to Trippiers weaknesses, but there just isn’t a solution that doesn’t come with compromises. If Poch had shown some bollocks and made KWP back up last year, we may have found a better solution.

Just home. Obviously wrenched at the result, but the performance - I though, anyway - was actually ok. Despite some individual mistakes, we didn't hand it to them.

Harry is still so far off the pace it's unreal. His dipping shot was the one glimpse of his former self, but his first touch when put through on goal was diabolical.

Sissoko was....very good I thought. Aggressive, was involved in creating some of our chances, and yet the moan that went up when he made his (soon to be legendary, I suspect) pass to give them a corner was unreal. I know it was gash, but I know it wouldn't have been that tone if it had been, say, Dier. The narrative of him being a clutz permeates through the majority of fans, and it's becoming ridiculous. After a positive game until that point, you could see the wind ripped from his sails on hearing it. I'm not really sure there's anything to be done about it.

Can't help but feel that a fully fit Dele and Eriksen from the start would have seen us claw at least one back. I suppose not having viable replacements for them was key, and for the first time I find myself buying into the idea that not bringing anyone new in was more than a little mistake.

We can go forward knowing that we forced one of the best teams in Europe to timewaste to a ridiculous degree - Guardiola's comments about neither team parking the bus seem a joke now - but it's scant comfort.

As an inevitable aside, let's get the fuck out of Wembley.

COYS.

Judging by the amount of tourists in there tonight, more and more season ticket holders are staying away as the season progresses.

I don’t know if they stayed behind after the NFL finished last night, but there was hell of a lot of yanks present. Had to endure some young bloke behind asking his female friends why there was a Manchester United and a Manchester City. :avbfacepalm:

To be fair, though, he was calling the umpire a cunt by the end. :bentley:

Can’t be arsed to dissect the game, gotta be up at six. :harrysmile:

Judging by the amount of tourists in there tonight, more and more season ticket holders are staying away as the season progresses.

I don’t know if they stayed behind after the NFL finished last night, but there was hell of a lot of yanks present. Had to endure some young bloke behind asking his female friends why there was a Manchester United and a Manchester City. :avbfacepalm:

To be fair, though, he was calling the umpire a cunt by the end. :bentley:

Fair play to you Chucks, but the match going experience is dead for me. I don’t know how you guys put up with it.

Just home. Obviously wrenched at the result, but the performance - I though, anyway - was actually ok. Despite some individual mistakes, we didn't hand it to them.

Harry is still so far off the pace it's unreal. His dipping shot was the one glimpse of his former self, but his first touch when put through on goal was diabolical.

Sissoko was....very good I thought. Aggressive, was involved in creating some of our chances, and yet the moan that went up when he made his (soon to be legendary, I suspect) pass to give them a corner was unreal. I know it was gash, but I know it wouldn't have been that tone if it had been, say, Dier. The narrative of him being a clutz permeates through the majority of fans, and it's becoming ridiculous. After a positive game until that point, you could see the wind ripped from his sails on hearing it. I'm not really sure there's anything to be done about it.

Can't help but feel that a fully fit Dele and Eriksen from the start would have seen us claw at least one back. I suppose not having viable replacements for them was key, and for the first time I find myself buying into the idea that not bringing anyone new in was more than a little mistake.

We can go forward knowing that we forced one of the best teams in Europe to timewaste to a ridiculous degree - Guardiola's comments about neither team parking the bus seem a joke now - but it's scant comfort.

As an inevitable aside, let's get the fuck out of Wembley.

COYS.
Can’t help wondering what may have been if we weren’t at Wembley. Cold, soulless place. The fans did their bit tonight, but a feverish WHL crowd may have given that extra shot in the arm against a “stellar” team that we actually made look normal in large parts.

Stats are substance, it’s opinions that are flaky. How can the guy who is productively the best in his league be average?

Walker and Aurier are physically better, but It’s not like you haven’t seen Walker make mistakes, or Aurier, the difference is they are bang average in middle and forward areas.

Trippiers got weaknesses but so have all the other RB’s at top 6 teams. You find us a better RB for the way we play and you’ve almost certainly found the best one in this league.

I’m not blind to Trippiers weaknesses, but there just isn’t a solution that doesn’t come with compromises. If Poch had shown some bollocks and made KWP back up last year, we may have found a better solution.

Stats show Kieran Trippier off as a creative god. In reality, he is not.

Just a hand in 5 league goals last season. One more than Serge Aurier (in 500+ more minutes) and 1 less than Walker (in 700+ less minutes).

Serge Aurier started in 16 league games last season and we conceded 12 goals.
Kieran Trippier started in 21 league games last season and we conceded 21 goals.

I'm not really sure I can agree that Aurier is bang average in middle and forward areas. What I do know is that he's much better in defensive areas.

I personally have no idea why Poch aims to go with Trippier over Aurier - so I assume it's because he works hard, has improved considerably and Poch rewards that.

Last edited:
Can’t help wondering what may have been if we weren’t at Wembley. Cold, soulless place. The fans did their bit tonight, but a feverish WHL crowd may have given that extra shot in the arm against a “stellar” team that we actually made look normal in large parts.

If we are still within 5 points of the top by January when the stadium should finally open, no reason we shouldn’t be able to mount an attack on the title think people underestimate how big a difference playing in a neutral ground makes compared to playing at home

It sounds like a crap excuse, but it's so easy for the away fans to sound louder and better (putting aside the fact that away fans are often more vocal) because they're all so close together. The delay in a song reaching one section of Wembley from another means that it's always pretty slurred, and people are too self conscious because their voice isn't lost among all the others. It's a weird place.

Stats show Kieran Trippier off as a creative god. In reality, he is not.

Just a hand in 5 league goals last season. One more than Serge Aurier (in 500+ more minutes) and 1 less than Walker (in 700+ less minutes).

Serge Aurier started in 16 league games last season and we conceded 12 goals.
Kieran Trippier started in 21 league games last season and we conceded 21 goals.

I'm not really sure I can agree that Aurier is bang average in middle and forward areas. What I do know is that he's much better in defensive areas.
Anyone defending Trippier tonight needs to give their head a wobble. He was absolute shit. If Aurier had given that goal away, he would have been hung, drawn and quartered. And correctly. He added zero tonight. And caused us more problems than he caused the oppo.

Also, missed the first 10 mins of the second half because they took that bloody long to make a couple of coffees. I would have told them to forget it but it was Baltic and I'd already paid. Staff stood around having a laugh, which was the worst of it.

This post is the only effort I'll make to complain, of course.

Anyone defending Trippier tonight needs to give their head a wobble. He was absolute shit. If Aurier had given that goal away, he would have been hung, drawn and quartered. And correctly. He added zero tonight. And caused us more problems than he caused the oppo.

Agreed completely.

It was a nothing performance from what I'd consider a nothing player (outside of a few deep crosses and the odd set piece). His technique has got him this far and it's incredible he starts games for top 6 club in all honesty. With the fact he's 28 years old and unlikely to improve, I'd honestly move him on in the summer for £20,000,000+ make a nice profit on him and be on our way to the next generation.

But I can't help but feel Poch likes having him around. Like I've said, he's a good professional, definition of hard work getting him where he is today and will do and say whatever Poch tells him to do. Poch loves those who are 100% committed.

It sounds like a crap excuse, but it's so easy for the away fans to sound louder and better (putting aside the fact that away fans are often more vocal) because they're all so close together. The delay in a song reaching one section of Wembley from another means that it's always pretty slurred, and people are too self conscious because their voice isn't lost among all the others. It's a weird place.
I saw what Wembley/spurs were capable of when we beat Real. The place was fucking bouncing like a great big party. But it’s not a place for club football generally. The sooner we go back home the better.

Watching the game now and that goal is purely on Tripps. You don’t send that back to Hugo.

That hit by Harry afterwards...I like that since we haven’t seen many early hits from Harry this year.

Good opening 10 sans that mental lapse.

Lamela has been bright. Same with Sissoko.

Davies and Tripps are not my fave

Kane is really looking out of sorts. Heavy touch, dropping too deep, too often. There is something not quite right. Its fine measures, but the “real” Harry Kane terrorises that defence (Mendy was there to be destroyed) & come away from the game with a goal or 2.
Must have been watching a fucking different game...

Back
Top Bottom