"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Every time I feel myself getting carried away I remember that we have to play Chelsea, Liverpool and City away..... That usually gives me a reality check.

I think we're going to need maximum points from Liverpool and City at least......

City being in 4 competitions and having a congested fixture list is definitely a good thing.

Every time I feel myself getting carried away I remember that we have to play Chelsea, Liverpool and City away..... That usually gives me a reality check.

I think we're going to need maximum points from Liverpool and City at least......

City being in 4 competitions and having a congested fixture list is definitely a good thing.

The facts are we are the underdogs of the 3 teams but Liverpool in particular will feel the heat and something keeps stopping City from hitting the accelerator button.

The only thing about that is we are actually a lot better away than at home

Maybe not maximum points, we just cannot lose them. Winning makes it more likely that we can catch or finish higher, losing almost guarantees we won’t. A point keeps the same distance. It’s safer.

But to dare is to do and all that. And we don’t want to draw any league games this season!

You said ''I wish people enjoyed watching this team play and weren't so shit scared about showing it.'' As if to imply that to enjoy watching the team means that you have to go around talking about being in a title race. And that sounds downright absurd to me. Being happy and excited about your team comes in all forms but being realistic or cautious about our chances of winning the title is hardly a betrayal or a show of fear. No one is telling you to be quiet but you are telling people to go shouting about something that is still highly unlikely and more often than not in the past has led to painfully shattered hopes and dreams. So why not just let people enjoy their team however quietly and reservedly they want, and you can be as overtly excited as you want, eh?
Then why don't you take the advice of your own words and let people support how they chose too. My only advice is, it's a lot more fun being positive about an outcome by opening up to the possibility of believing it is possible. What actually is the point of being cautious or realistic? Caution and realism is for teams desperate to get to 40pts this season. Whatever happens, happens. Whether we finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th. I'm enjoying watching Tottenham contest for the title for the 4th year in a row.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on Leicester's form? I can't get a handle on it myself... turn up against some of the big boys then shit the bed to a random side.

On your latter point: who knows, maybe the football gods might actually smile down upon us and see Kane and Dele back fit (and finally well rested) right when we need them most.

They should have beaten the Dippers
Better side on the night

Whether someone is cautiously optimistic or downright Mr positive can any of us really see the team getting maximum points at these teams where our record is generally appalling it's too big an ask imo.

Whether someone is cautiously optimistic or downright Mr positive can any of us really see the team getting maximum points at these teams where our record is generally appalling it's too big an ask imo.

No, if we are talking nornal conditions but some of the likely outcome will be determined by the context of the match.

Leicester (not easy at all) then Burnley (again hard) followed by Chelsea (who will be on their third game in 3 days, with one being the league cup final) will tell us how we are likely to go into those games.

So no but you never know.

In reply to the thread title... I don't think SKY are talking about it.
Still a two horse race innit?
Still, if we managed to "come 3rd in a 2 horse race" when Leiecster won the league (as it was so annoyingly widely publicised)
Then IMAGINE the scenes if we came 1st or 2nd in a 2 horse race that WE'RE NOT EVEN IN!!
:kanehand::sonhmm:

Weirdly think city winning today wouldn't be the worst thing. We'll be less under pressure and not talked about as the challengers. Think having three teams in the mix is more advantageous to us

Champions/Champions-elect do lose games too.

We have won a fair bunch of such games this year.... 2 in the last week if I'm not mistaken; it's why we find ourselves in this position despite the handicaps you acknowledge.

I'm sure it's sunk in for most over recent seasons that 90% of games feel like a cup final (or "must" win) when you're in the proverbial mix... Yet how many "invicibles" have there ever been?
I think you mentioned it elsewhere about ‘what would be the point of following football otherwise’. Yes it would be ideal if we won out the season, case closed. I like the conjecture and the drama though - and that Wolves game felt crushing, worst of the season for me.

You cuntgit.

I think you mentioned it elsewhere about ‘what would be the point of following football otherwise’. Yes it would be ideal if we won out the season, case closed. I like the conjecture and the drama though - and that Wolves game felt crushing, worst of the season for me.

You cuntgit.

I love the pressure (and subsequent emotion of any victory that follows)...... Wins against Watford & Newcastle wouldn't feel so epic otherwise...

I also strongly suspect the drama of being an underdog etc. is far more 'fun' and rewarding than a title challenge being a mere run of the mill expectation so i dont take this period for granted in that sense... All the more reason to enjoy it how one can imo.... (Even if we went on to dominate the EPL, this period would remain a somewhat unique, cherry breaking experience that should be savoured in the here and now - Not just lauded in retrospect).

When it comes to the 90mins, trust me, i'm as tense as the next man. Just that once the dust settles i just accept i have very little valuable influence over proceedings other than to get behind the team or walk away....

.....Yer slag!:ledley:

Back
Top Bottom