Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley (Turf Moor, 23rd Feb 2019, 12:30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not even that surprised really. After beating Dortmund 3-0, long break to rest, talk of winning the title, articles gushing about how amazing we are, fans getting carried away......this result was fucking coming our way, gift wrapped and clear from a million miles. We do this time and time again, we lose sight of what's in front of us because we are too busy looking up at the clouds. This is why I said I don't like getting carried away with title talk because we have days like this in us.

We can analyse the game, the individuals, the line-up, formation, subs, etc, but we just didn't have our focus today. That was the biggest issue. It was an unfamiliar situation and we were too dizzy with it. The title is gone, please for the love of god let's just forget about it, delete that fucking thread too. Our objective now is to secure top 4 and go as far in the CL as we can, which was always our real objective to be honest.

What.....you thought it would go away?
Are we cured? Or was it the same reasons I listed after Wolves?

Shite in attack, not creating and or wasting the chances we do create, lacking the mental bollocks to actually go out there and win the fucking title, managerial mistakes, inexperience......and so on.

None of that counted around Christmas, so what was the excuse today, after ten days off
Yes, Sammy.

Every loss is for the same reasons.

And every loss is for a single reason.

:dembele:

Pochettino: Tottenham lost to Wolves because they were tired

I would not be counting any chickens on that front mate. Imagine losing at Chelsea, City and Liverpool and then it’s going to be very close to qualify for top 4.

I feel like we just lost to the 1980’s.

I also feel our team did not really do enough today. Yes, Mike Dean was shambolic but we got a bit bullied at times.
I was kind of just joking in saying 'i guess we'll just settle for winning only the champions league'. As in winning the EPL is pretty much done.

really pathetic post, we've had 3/4 of the possession
how does that show a lack of effort or intent?

What the hell?
You do know what decides football matches, right? It has nothing to do with posession.

We did not create a single clear-cut chance today. Kane (brilliantly) scored a half chance and his long range one was another half chance. Yet Burnley created smth like 3 (one that flew over the bar). There was not enough agression and direct approach to our play throughout this 90 minutes. As someone said, they wanted it more, they fought for it more and they deserved to win the game.

We could not withstand the pressure and bottled it. No other way to describe this situation unfortunately. As much as it hurts that is what happened. It is not the end of the world we are still having a wonderful season and let's see how far can we go in CL, but with two teams 5 points ahead of us, this is the real end of our fight to be crowned champions. Well it was unlikely anyways, wasn't it?

So to be clear, it wasn’t fatigue today?
Maybe not fatigue. More like the complacency and lethargicness of a club who's owners have the arrogance to expect a title push without spending any money.

Poch and the lads have struggled and fought against the odds all season. Maybe it's finally starting to take its toll

If you look at the actual quality of football this season we are so far behind City and Liverpool, it’s amazing that we’ve stayed close to them for so long. A result like this was always coming, when was the last time we flew out of the traps and tore someone apart? We’ve been scrapping away and put half-chances in the net but we haven’t had a top class 90 minutes for months.

Games like this are where Dembele’s absence becomes painful, Sissoko is a grafter but he belongs in Burnley’s midfield more than ours. It’s hard to get Son and Kane in the game when there is so little quality behind them.

Yep good post and fair points but what a poor game all round by us.

Defensively fragile, lacking in midfield and apart from the odd occasion blunt in attack.

Nobody should have thought it wouldz be easy but we played in a manner that gave Burnley confidence.

Nobody in our team could think they played well today.

It was an awful team show. Worst I can remember in a long time given the context and supposed quality we had on display.

And of coirse the pundits have been proved right.

Last edited:
He’s venting....today was on the manager.
Winks was probably our best player.....oh well, the guy in front of him has diplomatic immunity so of you come Winksy..
Agree 100% taking winks off was amongst his worst ever decisions we looked totally inept after substitution - deserved nothing and got nothing eriksen sissoko aurier llorente and son all having their worst game in a long time (IMO)

Burnley have been on a huge unbeaten run and were set up perfectly to stifle us and we played in to their hands, the way they pressed us in the first half and the way we let another goal in from a corner. We didn't build from the equaliser and we never particularly dangerous.

Sometimes after breaks, it's not fatigue, it's lacking sharpness and I think we did. We have Chelsea Wednesday and Woolwich Saturday, we need to sharpen up and we need Dele back ASAP to give us another few ideas in midfield.

Had we got the first goal today it might have been a different story but our game plan just didn't work today.

Back
Top Bottom