"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We could have been two points behind with 11 games left if we had got the result we had all hoped for today. To say we were never in a title challenging belittles the team you support.

3rd, 2nd & 3rd in successive seasons. We definitely had a chance albeit one as dark horses
I am not belittling the team at all far from it I have already said that with lack of investment the club has done ok at that where we are is the summit of what we can achieve with what we have available.
I am more than aware of the recent finishes but am realistic to know that what we have is as good as it can get nothing wrong with that, and even if we had won today I would have said the same as I have been before which is we ain't winning the league.

I explained why I do not think we were in the race prior to the Burnley game. Of course we could've snatched it, but our points haul lately has been way better than our performances. It wasn't sustainable. City are better, it was never likely that we would catch them.
Totally agree you can not expect to challenge for a title losing 6 or 7 games it's not good enough we have been fortunate that utd struggled early on and Chelsea fell away otherwise we wouldn't be third.

Dude it's wishful thinking . It was dream but was never going to happen . We are good but not good enough. City, Liverpool are better and that's why we won't win it. Very weak in certain areas and never addressed unlike those Northern dirtbags.
l,m on some Yukon Jack to get over that rattlesnake shit show .
Don't over hype as your tree will always come down brother.

It definitely was wishful thinking I agree but as the last few weeks have shown us, Liverpool & Man City could have dropped points as they did against Newcastle, West Ham, Leicester etc and until it's done I'm going to keep looking up not down.

Today's loss is a punch in the gut no doubt but for the club to achieve new levels it needs to, as a collective from top to bottom believe we will win. Certain parts of the club lacks that bite you need, the psychological aspect that puts teams on the back foot against us. I remember being a teacher the game at WHL when we were 3-0 up against Man U and you could just feel the energy from Man U, players, manager through to the fans that they weren't out of it. That kind belief can win you an extra dozen points and if we as a club say we are out of it now you run the risk of losing that tenacity, that spark.

It was always a long shot but for the club to become a genuinely big club it needs to start thinking like a big club. I'm not talking about transfers or the financial side as I believe the club has hamstrung itself somewhat for the greater good long term but from a mindset we need to continue looking up not down. Get it embedded in the club that that's the attitude required to get to the next step. We can't do too much about the stadium situ or the occasional loss but the moment the club throws the towel in is the moment that mindset isn't given time to develop and grow. Go it to stay positive, got to start appreciating that where we are & have been for a few seasons now is where we belong & just keep moving it forward incrementally

I am not belittling the team at all far from it I have already said that with lack of investment the club has done ok at that where we are is the summit of what we can achieve with what we have available.
I am more than aware of the recent finishes but am realistic to know that what we have is as good as it can get nothing wrong with that, and even if we had won today I would have said the same as I have been before which is we ain't winning the league.

The club gets pretty much as much financial reward finishing in the top 4 as they would finishing 1st, I think the difference per place is roughly £2m. It's a long term project, it needs to be if we want to have a team competing as frequently as we all want. If we keep doing what we've been doing for the next 10 years, coming up short in a title challenge is honestly be OK with that. The most important thing is settling into the new stadium, earning the kind of money that allows you to compete as and when required, pay the wages we've been able to pay and build the clubs brand.

The trophies will come but when you look at how much ground the club has lost to others around it since the Premier League started it has to play catch up in a massive way. It needs to build its brand, its fan base, commercial exposure all of those things are as important to the club long term as a successful team at present.

There's not a lot of patience in the world now, sad to see (that's not directed at you, that's just my perception of it all in general)

I think we miss luck more than anything.

I think you need an INCREDIBLE amount of luck to win any league, unless of course you can spend unlimited funds to create a super team to steam roll everyone,

I don't particularly think our team is good enough across the whole board but I can't really blame that considering Leicester won the league with the likes of Drinkwater, Morgan, Simpson etc. - and our squad is definitely better than theirs.

But continuous improvement year on year is something that tells me we are getting to where we need to be and we'll get there. Marathon and not a sprint and all that.

There are bound to be bumps in the road. We weren't good enough today but there have been games (and comments on this very board) where people have also said Liverpool look rubbish when they're dropping points. It happens.

Most important thing is we bounce back and get 6 points from Chelsea and Woolwich, almost certainly cementing our place in the top four and we go from there.

I can't see it after that.

I take your points and agree on Leicester and that we are better player for player than they were, if not as good as City/Liverpool (closer)

But today it really screamed for calmness, belief and a bit of inspiration.

And you lose your talisman for however many games, win all in his absence and lose on his return.

It's not luck you need to win today but the sureness and desire of winners.

We ain't winners.

I can't see it after that.

I take your points and agree on Leicester and that we are better player for player than they were, if not as good as City/Liverpool (closer)

But today it really screamed for calmness, belief and a bit of inspiration.

And you lose your talisman for however many games, win all in his absence and lose on his return.

It's not luck you need to win today but the sureness and desire of winners.

We ain't winners.

I saw a lot of winners out there when we beat Watford and Newcastle late on though.

Today's performance was disappointing but they do happen throughout a season. Just throughout the season we've been winning these.

Regarding luck, Burnleys first goal was never a corner and Bardsley should have been sent off. But it's just one of those.

Pool will likely drop their pants tomorrow. We’re more in the race than the media give credit

The funny thing is, amongst Spurs fans before today we were 5 points off top and in the title race.

Yet after today and if Liverpool lose tomorrow, we are still 5 points off top yet NOT in the title race.

Can't win really.

I'm not sure either. I think it could certainly be a factor. The amount of times we have reached this point, close to doing something and then failing is not a coincidence imo.

I said in the match thread I didn't believe today was a mentality issue and was just down to be playing poorly. Now I have had time to consider it I now believe that has to be a reason. Today with our strongest squad in months with a week to prepare for the game there should be no excuse. We should have been ready and we weren't again. Poch said how vital this game was and i'm sure he impressed upon the team that exact same message.

This team we have should be beating Burnley fairly comfortably but something was missing. Belief.

Sadly I have to agree, something is missing and I don’t think it’s because Poch isn’t telling them how important these games are.

I just think a few of our best 11 don’t truly believe we are capable or they are capable individually of winning honours.

It’s figuring out who the players are though, the fact is, if we are ever going to win anything we need a starting 11 and a bench full of people who truly believe they can take that final step and all with the drive and determination to do so.

We certainly have the talent because, as we have proven, we can beat the very best teams on our day, we just need to learn to win the games that truly matter, and like you say, over the past few seasons that always seems to be our stumbling block, Juve, Chelsea, Woolwich game in the Leicester season and the West Ham game, I can think of a few more as well, that’s the final step we need to take.

Learning to win those games is the final step and it’s something that frankly, we should have learned by now, which is why I think that maybe some of these players will just never think they are capable of winning major honours.

Back
Top Bottom