"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For people who say we've regressed, we can still lose 2 games and beat our record points in a Premier League season. Goes to show how far we've come when people see this year as a disappointing one. We are making the right steps, going in he right direction and it's all about year on year improvement.

Semi finals of the Champions League and 87 points would be an amazing season. Trophy or not I'd love to see everyone get behind the boys, give us every chance of achieving so or better

We could always have done a Chelsea and got to a cup final - only compromise is that we lose to our league rivals 6-0, 2-0 and 3-1 and sit in 6th.

For people who say we've regressed, we can still lose 2 games and beat our record points in a Premier League season. Goes to show how far we've come when people see this year as a disappointing one. We are making the right steps, going in he right direction and it's all about year on year improvement.

Semi finals of the Champions League and 87 points would be an amazing season. Trophy or not I'd love to see everyone get behind the boys, give us every chance of achieving so or better

I agree mate, we haven’t regressed in the slightest, the league is harder than ever to win and we have done excellent considering the amount of injuries we have had and the fact we have had to play at Wembley all season whilst having the majority of our players going deep into the World Cup as well, it’s quite frankly amazing that we are where we are in the league given all the circumstances.

As long as we are on an upwards trend (which we are) then I see no reason to panic.

Next season in the new stadium is going to be a big one for us, our transfer window is going to be incredibly important because we really need to strengthen in midfield and we may be replacing some pretty significant players (Toby and possibly Eriksen being two of them) so that’s what we need to be focused on, making sure that next season we really are formidable and start on a positive note.

As far as this season is concerned, we still have every chance of winning the champions league and an outside shot at the PL still, I am fully behind the team and manager and the most important thing is to retain CL qualification for our first season in the new stadium right now so we can use it as a platform to push on.

We could always have done a Chelsea and got to a cup final - only compromise is that we lose to our league rivals 6-0, 2-0 and 3-1 and sit in 6th.

Consistency is key for us if we want to become a solid club long term.

People say we need trophies etc. Wenger won 3 FA Cups in his last 5 seasons at Woolwich. Really did him and that lot a lot of good didn't it. We're beating Dortmund 3-0 and getting results at the Nou Camp, they're scraping into the knockout phases of the Europa League against teams named after tractors.

Cementing those top 4 positions is the most important thing, everything else at the moment and for a while will be a bonus

I agree mate, we haven’t regressed in the slightest, the league is harder than ever to win and we have done excellent considering the amount of injuries we have had and the fact we have had to play at Wembley all season whilst having the majority of our players going deep into the World Cup as well, it’s quite frankly amazing that we are where we are in the league given all the circumstances.

As long as we are on an upwards trend (which we are) then I see no reason to panic.

Next season in the new stadium is going to be a big one for us, our transfer window is going to be incredibly important because we really need to strengthen in midfield and we may be replacing some pretty significant players (Toby and possibly Eriksen being two of them) so that’s what we need to be focused on, making sure that next season we really are formidable and start on a positive note.

As far as this season is concerned, we still have every chance of winning the champions league and an outside shot at the PL still, I am fully behind the team and manager and the most important thing is to retain CL qualification for our first season in the new stadium right now so we can use it as a platform to push on.

People also forget that the vote to close the English transfer window a few weeks earlier than the rest of Europe hit us hard for one unique summer as it out British clubs at a real disadvantage. We are well known for waiting until the last minute to get better value for what we buy and that as well as the ridiculous prices was pretty unique.

Balancing that with the debt, keeping the squad together, fending off teams that threw £60m at Aubemayang, £50m at Jorginho etc is a great achievement. I remember reading about how other teams had improved and we had stood still yet we are still above them so make of that what you will.

We are in great shape, it's just a pity there are a few fans who aren't enjoying or backing these growth times as a fan of the club should be in my opinion. How long it will last who knows but I tell you what, watching Spurs now knowing we can genuinely win any game we are playing in instead of going berserk if we get a draw up at the Stadium of Light etc like many of us had not so long ago is a real pleasure. Long may that continue

Pochettino says the title has gone after today. So I guess that’s that then....All eggs in the CL basket now then?

I think it's important that we don't take our eye off the league because if we lose our tough away games (Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool), it's not out of the realms of possibility that we'd get dragged down to a battle for fourth place. Remember, Chelsea have a game in hand over us so if we lose the game in mid week, it could start getting fruity.

Which one is it?? Stop looking down or look down?

Sorry, still want United to win.

Same distance off top and it keeps Liverpool off top.

Stop looking down guys.

I think it's important that we don't take our eye off the league because if we lose our tough away games (Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool), it's not out of the realms of possibility that we'd get dragged down to a battle for fourth place. Remember, Chelsea have a game in hand over us so if we lose the game in mid week, it could start getting fruity.

This is what Spurs do to people.....

:dembelelol:

:dierno:

Which one is it?? Stop looking down or look down?

This is what Spurs do to people.....

:dembelelol:

:dierno:

Ey?

Not taking our eye off the league isn't looking down, it's looking up. It's making sure we still take it as importantly as we would if we were fighting for the title every week. I'd want all of our rivals below us to take points off those above us, regardless of if it closes the gap between us and them.

The possibility of being dragged down isn't impossible - but we should probably avoid a Liverpool from last season situation where they ended up finishing 4th after fighting for 2nd place to try and get one night in glory at the end of the season.

Premier League for me is still priority over Champions League.

So if the title is gone after that loss, that means they had to win it to be in it?

Which means, what kind of cowardly shambolic ballless performance was that by the team?

This team is never gonna win anything if the majority of them are such mental midgets.

Ey?

Not taking our eye off the league isn't looking down, it's looking up. It's making sure we still take it as importantly as we would if we were fighting for the title every week. I'd want all of our rivals below us to take points off those above us, regardless of if it closes the gap between us and them.

The possibility of being dragged down isn't impossible - but we should probably avoid a Liverpool from last season situation where they ended up finishing 4th after fighting for 2nd place to try and get one night in glory at the end of the season.

Premier League for me is still priority over Champions League.

People were saying they would rather Liverpool won to keep our gap to United the same.
That basically our season was not about winning the league but keeping what we have.
You clearly said you would rather United caught up with us as you would rather we stayed closer to Liverpool. So looking up.

But I think most realise we are going to be sucked into a 3rd/4th place scenario due to our Away games. City and pool away. 2 points would be good. 0 points is not unthinkable.
And you then said we could get sucked into battle for 4th. Looking down.......

Potato - potartoe I guess.

But the club can't and won't win the CL either top four is the club's maximum level of achievement
Why can’t we win the CL? At least the players will turn up for the glamour ties, I think yesterday was a extended break away from football and under estimating our opponent, the players thought they could just turn up and win it , worse teams then us have won the CL so why can’t we ?

People were saying they would rather Liverpool won to keep our gap to United the same.
That basically our season was not about winning the league but keeping what we have.
You clearly said you would rather United caught up with us as you would rather we stayed closer to Liverpool. So looking up.

But I think most realise we are going to be sucked into a 3rd/4th place scenario due to our Away games. City and pool away. 2 points would be good. 0 points is not unthinkable.
And you then said we could get sucked into battle for 4th. Looking down.......

Potato - potartoe I guess.

Win our next 2 games and I think we pretty much secure top 4 then it’s a case of seeing what games we have before / after the QF ( if we beat Dortmund)

Why can’t we win the CL? At least the players will turn up for the glamour ties, I think yesterday was a extended break away from football and under estimating our opponent, the players thought they could just turn up and win it , worse teams then us have won the CL so why can’t we ?
You have been a spurs fan long enough to know that we won't win it no explanation needed.

But the club can't and won't win the CL either top four is the club's maximum level of achievement

And the truth for this squad, with no additions to the team which I still think has held us back (in the round) is that top 4 is about right.

The only way the team surpasses that level or expectation is to have a Leicester type worldie season and 7 losses and counting is not that.

Yesterday was the most painful loss of the season for me. A real sickener because there was no excuse whatsoever to perform so poorly.

You can lose games but not like that.

And having thought about it I do put much of the blame on the manager.

Why play Foyth as opposed to Sanchez? Why rush Kane back although he played okay? Why indeed change anything after the Dortmund match? Why leave Rose on the pitch when he was playing sh!t? So many poor decisions.

Ultimately Pochettino makes the decisions and fine but yesterday still hurts.

The hope gets you and when evaporated leaves a frustrated carcass. That was me for 2/3 hours and even now and with perspective returned I am still hugely disappointed.

But top 4 and hopefully a quarter-final place in the CL is okay, not that I think either is nailed on after yesterday.

We parade the manager as great. He is fantastic but Guardiola or Klopp would have used the same squad better yesterday. That is a problem and why, if Solsjkaer leads United to victory over Liverpool later today that he will get a 30 month contract.

Pochettino still has that last bit to become a top manager in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom